Author: Ruan Chun Xian PM
Kaleidoscope: a continually changing pattern of shapes and colours. See Chapter 1 for Contents Page. 39: The inner palace was a battlefield of a never-ending war where weapons were insincere smiles and pretty faces. Zhen Huan finds herself forced down memory lane when Xiang Fei arrives in Beijing.Rated: Fiction T - English - Xiao Yan Zi & Yong Qi - Chapters: 39 - Words: 139,966 - Reviews: 143 - Favs: 16 - Follows: 22 - Updated: 01-09-13 - Published: 01-21-10 - id: 5683752
|A+ A- Full 3/4 1/2 Expand Tighten|
A series of unrelated one-shots, following widely different parts of the HZGG timeline. Each one-shot will be written according to a prompt from a list of 100 words I borrowed off a Narnia avatar-challenge (where they have to make either 50/100 avatars corresponding to these words). I decided to challenge myself to writing fanfic to these words instead. I changed some of the words to fit with the HZGG universe (otherwise there is no way I would be able to write a HZGG fic with the prompt "Narnia"). The chapters will pretty much be all over the place and the stories themselves will be pretty random. Don't expect me to keep to any particular canon; I will try to follow the original canon but I might end up going off to an AU or one of my fanfic universes.
I doubt I would actually get through all 100 prompts but here is what is available so far:
1. Introduction - Kaleidoscope
2. Beginning - Xiao Yan Zi must say goodbye to Ming Yue and Cai Xia but with every ending, there is a new beginning.
3. Prince - Yong Qi shows Zhi Hua's servants a prince's authority.
4. White - The morning after his wedding night, Yong Qi has a rather awkward conversation with Ling Fei...
5. Trust - The day after Yong Qi and Xiao Yan Zi found out the truth about her parents, Yong Qi and Zi Wei talk.
6. Paper - …or the ramblings on being a fictional character.
7. Drama - Coming back from war with Burma, Yong Qi discusses Xiao Yan Zi and Zhi Hua with Qing Er, setting in motion the whole fiasco of "Zhi Hua stupidly throws herself against furnitures to gain sympathy from Yong Qi who is just too nice and doesn't believe she did it on purpose, thereby picking a huge stupid fight with Xiao Yan Zi", otherwise known as episodes 29-30 of HZGGIII.
8. Promise - Sometimes, Qian Long wondered at his sanity at the time when he betrothed Xiao Yan Zi to Yong Qi.
9. Red - Kind of a sequel to White. Talks of wedding. Zi Wei recalls the first wedding she attended, when Xiao Yan Zi played Robin Hood without the band of merry men.
10. First - For Yong Qi, Xin Rong was a series of first.
11. Crazy - The mutant plot bunny and what became of it. An outtake from The Prince and Me, a crossover with Twilight.
12. Night - "I think Xiao jie couldn't sleep, she keeps tossing and turning. Only Xiao Yan Zi can sleep in this situation, she's even snoring." ~ Jin Suo
13. Winter - Yong Qi teaches Xiao Yan Zi to appreciate snow.
14. Sword - The morning after Yong Qi and Zhi Hua's wedding.
15. Horse - And now, for something a little different. During the crucial moments that formed the love between Yong Qi and Xiao Yan Zi, there was someone watching it all.
16. Fight - Three Character Classic, a fight and a first meeting.
17. Destiny - Sometimes a little deception is necessary, even if you are defying Heaven, because your engagement is at stake.
18. End - Until now, Yu He never allowed herself to admit that the most foolish thing she'd done in her whole foolish life was allowing herself to love him.
19. Tradition - We only keep the traditions we want to keep. Outtake from The Unforeseen Complications of Leaving.
20. Hot - Just when Emperor Qian Long gave himself up for lost in that summer fire, the Fifth Prince did something very brave and very stupid: he rushed in to save his father. Qian Long could not be more displeased.
21. Gold - Our favourite prince contemplates his princesses.
22. Mystery - As Yong Qi is made Rong Qin Wang, he is given his own residence and there Xiao Yan Zi finds some rather interesting artifacts. A Bu Bu Jing Xin crossover.
23. Secrets - Forgiveness is a virtue, but it's not something we're born with.
24. Conceal - In which birthmarks are discovered, and the author tries to keep the chapter rated PG-13.
25. Letters - Selected correspondences from Beijing and the Chinese army in Yunnan.
26. Green - Sometimes, Jin Suo really hated Xiao Yan Zi.
27. Name - A season of courtship, and Xiao Yan Zi ponders the merit of "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
28. Spare - Er Tai was used to being the spare, even in love.
29. Pain - The first conflict, so to speak, of Xiao Yan Zi and Yong Qi's marriage.
30. Home - On a trip to Xiao Yan Zi's place of birth, Yong Qi stumbled on the key to a part of her past that even Xiao Jian did not know.
31. Black - Princes of the Ai Xin Jue Luo clan are not known to have the best relationships with their father.
32. Together - Dawn was much too early an hour to wake up when you were newly-wed and that sunlight was deceptive.
33. Family - Mid-Autumn. Zi Wei and Yong Qi both have father crises and then there's Xiao Yan Zi's disturbingly warm friendship with Xiao Jian thrown into the mix. What results is some sibling-bonding.
34. Loss - Swords and spears have no eye and war did not spare anyone but there is comfort to be found in the most devastating of losses.
35. Precious - How Yong Qi and Xiao Yan Zi came to have twins in the imperial household records.
36. Broken - He came home to a world that was in pieces. Er Tai tries to take his mind off his brother's death by fixing his best friend's marriage, with questionable results.
37. Blue - Xiao Yan Zi once met a strange man with a blue box, who introduced her to adventures.
38. Cold - This was not how Er Kang wanted to spend his first wedding anniversary.
39. Palace - The inner palace was a battlefield of a never-ending war where weapons were insincere smiles and pretty faces. Zhen Huan finds herself forced down memory lane when Xiang Fei arrives in Beijing.