Author: smalltowngypsy07 PM
A brief look into Christof's motives! Please Leave Feedback!Rated: Fiction T - English - Drama/Sci-Fi - Words: 443 - Reviews: 1 - Published: 12-14-12 - id: 8794481
|A+ A- Full 3/4 1/2 Expand Tighten|
Christof chuckled with derision. "You knew it would come to this Christof, it's been 30 years", he thought as he slummed across the studio, to the kitchen. Despite all of his efforts to keep Truman oblivious to the truth about his world, Truman was close to figuring it out, and while Christof was doing everything to keep it from happening, he could feel it slipping from his grasp.
His mind was cloudy, and he poured himself a glass of scotch to help ease the tension he was starting to feel throughout his body. He didn't know what part of this was the most frightening. Was it the possibility of everything he had worked so hard to build falling hopelessly to the ground? Or was it more paternalistic? Was it the thought of losing Truman to a world no more real, but far more sick than Sea Haven? Before he could even finish the thought he felt chills race down his spine, and in an attempt to rid himself of the feelings that were beginning to overtake him, he quickly drank the scotch.
Truman had never met Christof, didn't even know of his existence, and yet Christof was his father, and his job was to protect him, regardless of how crazy it all seemed. Ignorance was bliss, and Truman would be much happier if he just stayed within the dome. The world just outside the ecosphere, some 220 feet from where Christof was standing, was a cruel place, a place where murder, rape, and suicide lurked in the shadows, a place where 1% of the population stood on the other 99% back, a place where an entire nation was built from the oppression and exploitation of others. Christof wasn't father of the year, but he REFUSED to let Truman become exposed to, and worse, a contributing member of that world.
Cautious not to wake the rest of the crew, he tiptoed past the sleeping quarters, and into the Lunar Room, where he found Truman sleeping peacefully on the screen in front of him. He couldn't help but wonder what he dreamt about at night. "Probably Fiji", he thought, and for the first time since that damn light fell at Truman's feet, he laughed a genuine laugh. He could finally feel the scotch warming his body, a sure sign that he too would soon be fast asleep. He glanced at the screen one last time, and could see Hannah crawling out of bed, and slipping into the bathroom. "Stupid Cunt", he whispered, and with one final smile at the man on the screen, Christof headed to his bedroom.