Author has written 41 stories for Redwall, Stargate: SG-1, Stargate: Atlantis, Stargate, Stargate: Universe, Movie X-overs, Game X-overs, Mass Effect, Call of Duty, Fire Emblem, Halo, and TV X-overs.
Some of you may have tried to leave guest reviews and have had them removed. I am not removing them because they are negative. I am removing them because they are negative without explaining what's wrong or allowing a chance for discussion. I'm okay with criticism, but please explain what you didn't like about my story. Saying that it was a waste of time is not helpful.
PROFILE UNDER CONSTRUCTION
I am one of the few male fanfic writers in existence. I like Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis, but not Universe because Universe is terrible. I also like NCIS, Mass Effect, Halo, and Call of Duty. I read fics for all of those, and write for a few. I go by XCVG on Spacebattles, by the way. All stories I write will be posted here but some have extra content, open betas, or lively discussion only on the Spacebattles thread. Check out my YouTube channel (XCVGVCX) if you can, there are some things related to my fics there. I like to give things development codenames because I suck with actual titles and this way I can put off naming for a while.
Oh, you wanted to know about me as a person? I'm a nerd. I experimented with consoles but quickly moved back to my PC. I could list off its specs from the top of my head. I won't bore you with the details but it runs Windows and I built it for gaming. I enjoy working with technology, though I'm actually better with "hard" stuff- electronics- than software. I enjoy sci-fi and techno-thrillers. I like to build things even though I'm not very good at anything mechanical.
I generally don't read or write romance fics, I don't like them. Most feel awkward, forced, and just generally lame, although some are very well done and I do like them. Same goes for most self-inserts and most crossovers. I like humour fics, but they have to be good and funny rather than "cute" or worse, stupid. I'm not against crossovers, I'm just against the execution of most crossovers. Honestly, for every well-done, interesting crossover, there are a zillion ill-conceived ones. I also found myself reading several self-inserts, and found them surprisingly good (although I went through a lot of bad ones to get there). I like stomp fics and not-so-stomp fics. I like fics that have a balance of action, plot development and character drama. Actually, that goes for pretty much everything. There are a few fics that I really like, and many that I really don't like.
I review... differently from most people. My reviews may come across as mean or harsh, but that is not what I'm trying to do. I'll point out what I liked and what I didn't like. I don't sugarcoat or ignore flaws. Despite that, even some of my harsher reviews are of stories I like- if I really hate a story I will make it clear. Since this is already breaking the flow a lot I will post my reviewing policy at the end for those who are interested.
It should go without saying that I don't write romance, sappy fics, or angst. I have written a bad crossover though. It's called Halogate, and I'll rewrite it eventually. Most of the stuff I've written is awful. Anything before (and including) Halogate can be safely ignored. In fact, please ignore it. If it's not finished, it won't ever be finished. From Halogate onward, I read a lot more and started to get semi-decent at writing. I'm still not the best, and I'll admit that. But I'm working on it.
Ideas and Current Projects
I have a lot of ideas but not enough time to write them.
There are some that might happen, even are happening, though.
1. The Undiscovered Galaxy (Invasion) - Massively epic crossover, really no other way to describe this. Earth follows Stargate as does its part of the galaxy. The galaxy is divided along lines of ancient precursors, resulting in different tech bases. The Systems Alliance, encompassing most of humanity, is pushing boundaries and encounters two new, hostile races at the time the story begins: the Turians and the Romulans. A short time later, the Free Jaffa Nation makes contact with the Covenant. Stars then-Captain Jane Shepard, but would have all your favourite characters, from Arbiter to O'Neill to Tali to Spock. A little bit has been put on the proverbial paper (actually a 2TB Caviar Black).
There's also Gen4, which goes somewhere between the ideas and real projects. I'm going to write the first chapter of each one, see what the response is, how I like the story, and then continue some, but not all of them. These are currently in the process of being written and released.
1. Above Top Secret (Disclosure) - Codename basically says what it is. It is a Stargate fic dealing with disclosure in a humorous way. I'm going for a more satirical type of humour than outright silly. It starts when they find that the plans for Prometheus had been leaked, but quickly explodes into a large conspiracy. Was what the SGC doing really the right thing to do? This one stands a good chance of being written.
2. Among Fighting Men (Reconstruction) - Call of Duty Modern Warfare fanfic. I've seen a lot of FemOC fanfics, and I have been satisfied with NONE of them. Some show promise but then went crazy and crashed and burned. Some are fairly good but I didn't like them for various reasons. So I'm writing my own. The main character is Sergeant Jennifer Clark, the only female member of Canada's JTF2. After saving the King of the United Kingdom from a terrorist attack during his visit, she is recruited into the 141.
3. Endgame - Mass Effect 3 was possibly the most disappointing game I have ever played. Not the worst, no, it was pretty good, but disappointing. I could write paragraphs about it, but I'll simply say it wasn't just the ending that left me dissatisfied. This started off as an alternate ending only but I decided to expand it to re-imagine the whole game. It's a big project and I'm not sure if I want to do it, so I kind of went back and split it into the alternate ending (Endgame) and the full-on reimagining (Castle Delta).
4. Mass - There's one interesting take on the self-insert genre that I've seen a few times, both stories were rather unsatisfying unfortunately. Instead of a bunch of random kids/teens/young adults, a soldier or group of soldiers ends up in Mass Effect somehow. Energy is my own version of this. It starts off with a hypothetical conflict in the Middle East/North Africa. After seeking shelter from a massed attack, a ragtag group of soldiers accidentally activates a mysterious alien artifact. The next thing they know, they're a long way from home.
5. Energy - I've never actually written a pure Stargate fic. By that I mean one that reasonably fits with canon without going off the rails with crossovers (Invasion, Halogate), disclosure (SGD, GateWar, Above Top Secret) or new technology and moral ambiguity (Manifest Destiny). This takes place after the end of SGU, with the Lucian Alliance as the primary antagonist. The SGC learns of a piece of lost Ancient technology that could shift the balance of power in the galaxy and goes on a hunt to find it. Of course, they're not the only ones looking for it.
6. GateWar Redux (Manifest Destiny) - I abandoned GateWar for several reasons. The bad guys sucked, the plot didn't make a lot of sense, and the format was restrictive. Although I call it a rewrite of GateWar, this version is more spiritual successor. It's hard to describe where I'm going without giving everything away. In 2005, then-Captain Greene participates in a mission to retrieve a valuable alien artifact from a world recently liberated from the Goa'uld. The mission goes awry, the people are massacred and the artifact lost. Ten years later, now a Colonel, she's leader of SG-2, the SGC's flagship team (the SG-1 name having been retired). The SGC is more advanced, but disclosure still hasn't happened. Threats thought to be eliminated or at least marginalized are about to resurface.
And of course current projects:
1. SGD Season 3 (Metro Toronto) - Currently in open beta, with very little written. Direct sequel to SGD Season 2. The Ori have arrived, the crusade has begun. The AESF must fight a desperate war against a superior foe, far from home. More so than ever before, our way of life, our very existence, is threatened. It could take a miracle to turn the tides of victory.
2. SGD Director's Cut (Alberta) - What if things had gone a little differently? A butterfly here, a nail there. Disclosure, deployment, defeat. It could be our salvation- or our downfall. An alternate version of SG-1 and Atlantis, splitting off at Lost City. Rewrite/rework of Stargate Domination/SGD Season 1.
Unsafe External Link