Author has written 11 stories for Harry Potter, and Twilight.
I am an avid fan of Harry Potter. I absolutely love Lily/James fan-fiction. I adore messing with my characters' heads so I have no recourse in my own fics. So far, I've concentrated on writing my LE/JP shipping. I also like reading good Harry/Ginny fics, but I can't quite get them in character for my own writing. Yet. I'm working on it. I love anything with the Marauders though. I also am a Twilighter. I love reading the vampires. :p Yes, I am obsessive about both Harry Potter and Twilight. I'll admit it readily. More Harry Potter though, definitely.
A neat fact that you would have to read my profile for: the basis of my pen name. Matelia comes from an early attempt at personalizing my sixth-grade nickname. legwll is a combination of some of my favorite female characters' initials. Lily Evans, Ginny Weasley, and Luna Lovegood.
Like any author, I appreciate nice reviews. I try to reply to all reviews, sometimes waiting a while until most appear, but I will reply to everyone that gives me a profile or an email address.
A listing of my Harry Potter fics and the background and inspiration that went into them:
1) Stand in the Rain--Complete. I was listening to the radio, and this song came on. I almost immediately associated it with Lily and wanted to do it as a song fic from her point of view. About two months passed and I had beat out most of the story line, when the song came on again. It re-inspired me and caused me to finish the fic and create my fanfiction account so that I could post it.
2) Four Across and Seven Down--Complete. One morning I was bored, sat down with one of my mom's crossword puzzles and came across the clue: Easter flower-- four letters. Yes, it was lily. I remembered the quote that I posted in the summary, and thought to myself, how did Sirius get started on doing crossword puzzles? As I began writing it, the Quibbler article Luna was reading in Harry's fifth year came to mind. You know, the one where if you read the runes upside down, they spell a hex. Yeah. And this was the result of those musings. My fastest fic, as it was written in about three to four days.
3) Hiding from the Marauders--Tentatively Complete. This one was an interesting fic as I started wondering who had found the Room of Requirement during the Marauder era. I had originally started the beginning before Deathly Hallows came out, and we got the aftermath between Lily and Snape. She was much too upset at that point in time to be calmed by anything the Room provided. So, I'm not sure exactly when this takes place. Maybe just the day before the O.W.L. incident. Maybe a week or so before. Maybe the day after. Anyway, the scenes from where Harry is trying to locate Malfoy on the map came to mind, added to the comments from Fred and George in OotP about the room, and my own opinion formed.
4) Cat, Rat, and Dog--Incomplete. In the June before Deathly Hallows came out, I read a story on Fanfiction about Lily turning into a cat. I raved about that story to my family. I had been quite annoyed that I couldn't remember what the story was named, nor the name of the author because I'd have liked to give credit to that inspiration. Thanks! It is PoisonA.'s story, Through a cat's eyes. But after Deathly Hallows came out, certain of the aforementioned story's plot points did not jive. For instance--Snape maliciously turning Lily into a cat just because she was Muggle-born. I started thinking how I would change it and write it so that it would fit with all the canon. Then, I was inspired when I was around my cousin's cat, and the cats at different friends' houses, on certain situations that have/will come up in this story. From Jo, I borrowed the title too. Oh, and check out my avatar image for some cool kitty pictures.
5) Remus's Rabbit--Complete. I wrote this for a contest at Gaia Online's Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics. I took the quote from HBP and ran with it. Made this a very cute little oneshot. And I took second place with it.
6) Flashy Carrots--Complete. I wrote this for a prompt challenge at Gaia Online's Never Forget Marauder Era RP guild. This has been a rather hard piece to title, and I'm still open to other options. But Flashy Carrots has been one of my favorites to explore and write. It's nearly all dialogue, and one of the few where I didn't add anything to frame what is being said too much. I really would like some feed back on this one, as it's been up for months without a single review.
7) Swing Set Sisters--Complete. This idea came to me when I was swinging on the playground near my brother’s house. I was pondering over how hurt but resolved Lily must feel during the summer after the OWLs. Then when I got back to my computer, I started to write as much as I could, and Petunia decided to insert herself, making this much longer than I originally planned. But it all worked out for the best. I was able to experiment with both of their viewpoints and get a rather normal dialogue going for Lily and Petunia, despite the overall metaphor.
8) The Gryffindor Traitor--Complete. I’m not one of those people that want to ignore Peter Pettigrew or try to change the history of the Potter story by minimizing his effect on his friends. I’m not one to excuse him for his crimes, either. But I’m actually aware of his accused crimes. Yes, he was a Death Eater. Yes, he betrayed his friends and put them in very relevant danger that they were hoping to avoid. So did several people we read about including Snape, Crouch, Draco, and Narcissa. At least we understand their reasoning. But I’m dismayed by people getting Peter’s motives wrong in fanfics that include his treachery in 1981. He was not a Slytherin or a Slytherin-wannabe and I dislike people treating his betrayal as a Slytherin would betray his associates. He was not sorted into Slytherin. He was not sorted into Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff, either. Peter was a Gryffindor, and a Gryffindor betrayal is what this really is. Since Jo didn’t give him a chance to redeem himself in the eyes of the fans before he strangled himself, this is my best shot of doing that myself. This is Peter’s Redemption.
9) Stupid Snitch--Incomplete. I was musing about how and why James connects Lily with the Snitch he doodles and plays with in the DADA OWL memory scene, and this plot bunny came and took me away with it. Plus the mystery of the fact that Lily's seen the snitch before, and Sirius hasn't. Anyone else wonder about that one? Yeah and this fic totally explains why James, as a chaser, would be found with a snitch so often. Lily's stupid snitch.
10) In the Blink of An Eye--Complete. I read a whole lot into the response of blinking and how that is a natural reaction to shock and the fact that this is Lily's main reaction as her best friend crashes and burns all her hopes for him in Snape's worst memory. I was wondering in what other situations blinking could come into play and this was born.
How about I talk about some of my characters? Well, most belong to Jo, but I do have my own take on them. I will keep updating and expanding on these. I do have more theories relating to these characters, but not with me at the moment. Mostly these are just musings on them.
James Potter: Prongs. One of the most heroic figures in the series, and yet, not so heroic in the memories Snape has of him. Still, he is humorous and there is a lot of hope for him, once he outgrew bullying. James is a favorite of mine because I'm a romantic at heart. I love someone like James who consistently pursued his one true love until he matured enough to get her. His talent is undeniable and his trust is always well-earned.
Lily Evans Potter: Lily. She has a wonderfully sarcastic sense of humor. Deep down I think that she fancied James, even when she was best friends with Snape. Lily is the perfect offset to all the characters in the Marauder Era. Kind enough to befriend Snape, loyal enough to stick with him, and noble enough to know her own worth. She's humble enough to fall in love with James and admit it, powerful enough to hold her own against Death Eaters and Voldemort, and loving enough to save her son and create this whole series for us to enjoy.
Sirius Black: Padfoot. He just loves his own little jokes. Detentions are gotten only when he wants them. I must say, he is an interesting character to write. Sirius is honestly pure awesomeness. He's absolutely loyal, gives good advice, extremely talented, and a practical genius at times. Plus I admire how Sirius treads the line between bad boy and good boy. Just enough bad to make him look good, and just enough good to keep him on the right side of the war.
Remus J. Lupin: Moony. He is probably the king of understatement. My favorite parts of book three are the part with the Map in Snape's Grudge, and the aftermath of Cat, Rat, and Dog. Yes, I do disclaim my title as Jo used it for her chapter first. Remus is the mischievous bookworm that has loads of issues that hardly anyone knows about. He is extremely easy to admire, and love in spite of his furry problem and sometimes because of it.
Peter Pettigrew: Wormtail. Peter is probably one of the most misunderstood characters in the Marauder Era. Sure, he was the traitor later on, but during Hogwarts years he was just another boy. Admittedly, we are not shown the perspective needed to pity little Wormy. I tend to view him as a bit of a "drama queen." If something bad happens, then everything that follows must be worse. Especially when he's messed up, nothing can make it right without a miracle. With that perspective, it is much easier to see him choosing the easy way rather than the right way. Peter is a wonderful character, especially when he's young. I think I've actually worked out how he fit in with the other Marauders during his school years. An expert at listening, entertaining, and coming up with musings that help James and Sirius make connections between various ideas. Plus, he's so much fun to torture, I love him.
Mary Macdonald: Mary. Knowing how I originally portrayed her in Cat, Rat, and Dog, I feel I must reassure the reader that I chickened out and used a name that Jo had provided us, rather than create an OC and use Mary how I actually view her. I have now remedied this since writing Mary acting that way was truly getting on my nerves. Mary Macdonald, in my opinion, is Mary Cattermole. And some of my other fics explore that better. Including Stand in the Rain.
Alice: Alice Cupertind. I gave her an older brother in Stand in the Rain by the name of Edward. At this time, I was not aware that the Twilight Series had also used those same first names as brother and sister. In fact, I had not yet read a word of that series at that time. However, I believe I chose Edward's name for basically the same reasons pointed out by Stephenie Meyer's books and website for Edward Cullen's name. Edward is an old fashioned name that is much too close to Edmund. There. Now that I've finished that little disclaimer, I can work on Alice when I have time.
Severus Snape: Snivellus, Snivelly, Sev. Poor, poor Sev. He kept dwelling on the memories that he thought he should have changed, thought he could've done better, would've changed had he lived his life over. And he still couldn't see that perhaps James was the better one for Lily. Severus Snape is the most wonderfully written "gray" character I have ever read. His love for Lily redeems him, and his hate for James condemns him. I enjoy his sarcasm, logic, and his ability to keep a secret. I love how he is one of the most beloved and disliked characters of all time. He's a mass of contradictions that only fully gets resolved in the last book.
Ruby Jones: My original character. The name that I have associated with the girl that was previously portrayed as Mary Macdonald, but actually fits better as Ruby. She is very talkative as you will find out if you read Cat, Rat, and Dog. And she has some interesting issues of her own. I'm not sure if I'll get into that, but she is very well-rounded in my head.
Justin Turner: My original character. He's morphed into a lot since I first made mention of him in Cat, Rat, and Dog. In fact, I'm actually RPing as him in a Marauder Era Roleplay on Gaia Online. He and his sister, Hannah, are probably my favorite OC's to insert into the Marauder Era of Jo's writings. To link him on a family basis, his dad is Neville's Great Uncle Algie, meaning Justin and Hannah are first cousins with Frank Longbottom.
Plans for Upcoming James/Lily Stories:
Finish Cat, Rat, and Dog. The story might come out to fifty chapters by the time I'm done. Probably longer. The initial storyline will more or less wrap up in chapter forty-two. But there's going to be a lot of repercussions. Loads, actually.
Making Hiding with the Marauders a two-shot.
Making Four Across and Seven Down a two-shot.
Amortentia- a little plot bunny that just bounced into my head.
The Marauder Beginnings- various scenes from their first and second year.
More one-shot songfics. Maybe not as long as my first. Maybe longer.
A time-travel chaptered fic.
A full-out James and Lily story. From the beginning to the end. Working title: Heirs.
Well, Let me mimic what I did with my HP stories.
1) He's My Son--Complete. I had originally heard this song and associated it with a fic that would explore James and baby Harry's relationship, but before I started working on it, Twilight interrupted, and the next time I heard that song, the relationship between Carlisle and Edward seemed to fit the song better. Then, rereading New Moon, I stumbled upon a quote from Carlisle that solidified that claim. And so I decided to write my first Twilight fic. I did a lot of research to make sure I was accurate for the time period I set this in, and proceeded to write the fic to the song that inspired me.
Future Twilight Plans:
Well, no definite plans at the moment. I'm still working on Cat, Rat, and Dog for most of my writing time. Although I want to explore the feelings and forces driving all the Cullens. I also want to do Edward's version of the end of New Moon. Perhaps extending that to cover all of New Moon, perhaps starting Eclipse. I don't really know where that is going yet.
Oh, another thing. I'm helping to inspire a set of scenes that my best friend, Umi Pryde has been writing. It's called Short Sorcerer Scenes. All about the things that could have happened in the Harry Potter universe, probably didn't, but still fun to think about. Check it out in my favorite stories, or from Umi's link as a favorite author of mine. I would urge you to read it, enjoy the humor in it, and think about the what if it actually did happen. And then, review. We'd love to see more people reading and following it.
Also check out Umi's Morning Discovery fic. Wow, she dedicated the whole fic to me. Thanks Umi! You might see a character of mine in there eventually. And if that happens it should be the first official time our OC's are in a story together. Technically her OC's are in Cat, Rat, and Dog, but they haven't truly interacted with anyone in first person yet. So it's not official until they do that. Hehe. And Chapter 30 has Cenis! hehe.
Unsafe External Link