Author has written 7 stories for Harry Potter, and Lord of the Flies.
Looking for a beta.
Hello to all interested beta readers,
I've held off on looking for a beta for quite some time for various reasons. I like having complete control of my chapters and being able to simply post my chapter as soon as I finish it rather than waiting for the editing process to go through, etc., etc. However, this has led to numerous embarrassing fumbles (i.e. gross typos, conflicts in dates and facts within my stories, unforgivable delays between updates...), and so I have finally given in and am on the hunt for a beta!
So, the things I'm looking for in a beta are:
1. Quick Turnover - I want to be able to send you my chapter on Saturday night and get the edited version with feedback by Monday. I know this sounds horribly diva, but I'm so impatient to get feedback once I've written a chapter that I don't think I could wait more than a day or two.
2. Editing Skills - Nothing serious. I basically want you to have a good eye for typos and oddly constructed sentences. This sometimes interferes with "writing style," so you'd have to consult with me first about certain changes (for example, I like to write a lot of dependent clauses as stand alone sentences. I just do, and I won't change it.), but if you notice things like, I've used the same adjective twice in one paragraph, or this sentence would sound better in the active rather than passive, etc., I would really appreciate the quick edit and feedback. Editing also includes timing. The spacing of a moment. Do my transitions between emotions seem too abrupt? Did I not fully explain this person's emotions? Should I insert another few paragraphs of elaboration? Am I not paying enough information to this character?
3. Timeline and Fact Skills - Particularly with regard to Rolling Seasons, I keep losing track of dates and facts (no doubt due in large part to the long time gaps between each of my updates. Apologies!). It would be great to have someone keeping track of all that so that if I say something in one chapter, and then contradict it in the next, you can catch me on it and correct it while making a note to me about it in the feedback so that I can try to remember. (
4. Feedback and Suggestions - I love feedback, even when it's not the most positive (although, of course, it should always be courteous...). My beta reader needs to be able to give me constructive feedback that both motivates and directs me. Feedback should include questions to think about. Where am I going from here? Does this scene limit me for future scenes? Does this emotion seem in character? Is it plausible? Am I getting too repetitive? The disclaimer I should include here, is that I write as I go. I outline chapters, but not the overall story, so anything can change at any point (be it an inspirational review, a change in my own personal life, etc), so I need my beta reader to be able to work with that.
5. Drill Sergeant Nagging - I am TERRIBLE with updating. I just don't. I think about it. I plan out the whole chapter. But I just can't make myself sit down and write until either five reviews come in at once, and I think, oh, wow, what an awful person I am, or some miracle of inspiration gets me to type everything up into words. So I need someone who is going to keep up an open and frequent dialogue with me throughout the week. Whether it's a quick email just to ask how the chapter is going or a nudging, "Hey, it's been a week already, and you still haven't started..." I just need someone to stay on top of me and not let me get away with excuses (unless it's for real =P).
6. Confidentiality - This has never been a problem for me, but I figured I would include it just because. Obviously, I want to feel comfortable enough to share my long-term story plans with my beta. So if I tell you what I'm writing in this chapter or the next, I want to feel confident that you won't share that information with anyone else until the chapter has been posted.
And that's it for the skills and responsibilities I would like my beta to have. I don't know how many people will sign up for this position (could be 3, could be none), but in the event that I have to choose from multiple candidates, please include any relevant information you think might help you best get the position. Send all information to me in a PM. Things you might include are: stories you've previously beta'd or examples of your own work. Familiarity with my writing skills and stories (both CtF and RS) are definitely a must, so make sure to convince me that you've read them both and would be able to compile a thorough outline and keep track of my facts and mistakes. (Especially since I'm thinking of going back and revising all my chapters to align all my facts and fix any contradictions.) You might accomplish this by pointing out some of my contradictions throughout Rolling Seasons or revising one of my currently posted chapters. If you're really ambitious, you could send me a written timeline. I don't know. Whatever works for you. If you need to send an attachment, let me know through PM, and I can send you my email address.
Thanks so much, and I promise to respond to everyone who reaches out to me!
xoxo Spideria xoxo
Unsafe External Link