Author has written 9 stories for Evangelion, Misc. Plays/Musicals, Ranma, Detective Conan/Case Closed, Naruto, Skip Beat!, and Yakitate! Japan.
Just call me Sil. Or Aegis_kage. Or Acte. Reasons? well... Call it Chaos.
About Me: Nothing much. Just Random Person #989392231
What you're really here for: yea I know. "WHY ARE YOU NOT UPDATING!" and other stuff like that. Look... I'm a lazy bastard. Its coming. I'm just revising everything that I have right now.
Fanfiction is a wonderful thing. And while many people dis it, I fully support its existence. That being said, there are things that all writers need to remember, especially fanfiction writers. While I am just putting it out there, I understand I fall to some of these fallacies too, but I do try to correct my wrongs. These are just thoughts to keep in mind when thinking about the very important question "Is this ready to be published?"
1) Just because it sounds good in your head does not make it good. Nor does it necessarily mean it makes sense. Often when going over something in your head, you fill in all the necessary details and subconsciously "fix" things, like the tried and true test of flipping teh mdidle lteetrs of wrods. Your brain is an amazing thing. And it fools you quite well.
2) Doujin and Fanfiction are two different things. This sounds elementary, but it isn't. Often we writers try to emulate the styles of the manga, show, anime, or book we base our works off of. Ranma fanfiction has lots of chaos and gags, while skip beat fanfiction tends to focus on inner dialog, and Neon Genesis Evangelion is often has more angst and suffering. We all try to emulate the "feeling" of our fandom's canon, as a tribute. But unless your canon is a book, you have to realize that Things Cannot Be The Same! Books rely on dialog to convey more information and subtext to the reader. While on a show or in a manga a person may just make their entrance by saying "Sorry i'm late" in a written format more information is needed. We, the readers, cannot see the scene you the author has in your head. We only see the image painted by the words on the screen.
3) If you don't like it, just don't read it (or write it). No one is forcing you to read/write the things on this site. Just stop reading or writing.
4) Authors know their work suck. This might seem like a stupid thing for an author to think (and some of you might say "i don't think that!") but its true. As you write, you want to revise, you want to add... Authors always want to make their fic bigger, badder, better! Don't do too much... or too little!
5) PLOT! If you don't have plot, you don't really have a fic. You might have some clever oneshot oneliner type piece, but as a thing with no plot gets bigger and bigger it sucks more and more.
6) Is it even fanfiction? There is a line, and many cross it. Often with crossovers, which is why they are hated so much. Why are you writing a Ranma fanfiction, or a skip beat fanficiton, or a naruto fanfiction, when you can just change the characters names and put it into another section? there's no point! Oh i'm going to make a fanfiction where Shinji is a football star in america and his dad is a loving father, and rei is his kuudere girlfriend, and asuka is this transfer student and it'll be set in the universe of Baywatch and his doctor will be Dr. House and it will follow the storyline of 91210 and then i'm gonna do some weird shit to it on my own. Um... just write an original fic! There's no reason to use the vehicle of "fanfiction" if it DOESN'T pay homage to the source canon/fandom AT ALL! It might as well be an original fic!
6b) WELL IS IT? If your fic is just a jumble of words, or just an idea that hasn't been fleshed out, is it a fanfic? If you have to say "Oh this is a after this, and this extra thing happened, and this, and this and this, and some of that, and some of those... also i just turned main character into a raging succubus for no reason at all and this is what happens" and then ONE SCENE that DOESN'T FIT INTO THE CONTINUITY is forcibily placed INTO THE CONTINUITY and so on... is it really a fanfic? do you think any real reader would read it?
7) I'm a Character! Related to the above guideline, Fanfiction is very much about character development. You just don't say "word of god: character X now acts like this!" for no reason. Sure, make character x do a total 180 on his/her values, personality, but you better SHOW US HOW HE/SHE GOT THERE! Its the journey that's important!
8) REALLY NOW!? this is a self explanatory guideline. Use common sense when writing. NO ONE wants to read a fic where you descend from the heavens, and with no rhyme or reason change the world around your own whims, declaring that you are GOD and that the characters and the world must follow your every command. As an author its true that you are "god" of your little fic's world, but the readers don't have to like it. Also known as "Mary Sue syndrome" If you must, at least make it a fun ride. People will probably keep going with you if you get better...
8b) REALLY?! After reading horrid fanfics and subsequent reviews of said fanfics, I can only draw this conclusion. IDIOTS. There are idiots on this site. I love my reviewers, they tell me what I already know: I SUCK AT WRITING! at least I can admit it and my reviewers aren't shy! I have seen absolutely horrible fanfics... so bad they can't even be called fanfiction. Yet I see people say "best fanfic evar!" and "naruXjiraia FTW" and other ... "positive" comments. Its like people have consumed so much shit they can't tell what shit is anymore!
9) Proofread, please! Readers can't read your mind. Please, make sure the words are right and you aren't missing anything!
10) Have fun. Is the fic still fun to you? Do you like writing it? This is the most important guideline, you can even disregard the other 9 to some extent, but disregarding this one is very bad. Write what you want, write what you like... just realize that there's always room for improvement.
Just because its not on FF.net does not mean it doesn't exist! Try these on for size!:
-- HELP, LINK BROKEN! PLEASE HELP ME FIND THIS AWESOME FIC!
The epic evangelion fanfiction:. Eva R is the ultimate fanfiction. I used to like it, but that was when I was a diehard NGE fan...
by Bluetoast - my favorite evangelion crossover, just like eva R there are two branches. One of them is the main line, the other the OVA.
by Kimberly. This used to be on FF.net, but it got moved off. All time favorite ReiXshinji fic. addresses some of the squick surrounding this pairing very well.
- Rei/shinji heaven... there is a particular fic in there that is out standing. I just forgot the title.
Only the best make it past this site's quality control
- Strike Fiss, one of the best NGE fanfiction writers ever.
currently searching for url-
ChessKid3 ~ prereader ,brainstormer-- now on hiatus. Maybe dead?
my story night music was sort of inspired by http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1941547/4/
Here are my resource sites
- The reason 1991 is not year 0.
Check these things out:
The Cat Piano: a short animated film that will take your breath away
FAH! FAH! FAH FAH!- remember, bishies and main characters everywhere! The FANGIRL ABUSE HOTLINE is waiting!
(and FOE! FOE! FOE! FOE!)
Unsafe External Link