| yetzer ha'ra 's Beta Reader Profile
Author has written 3 stories | Harry Potter, and Pokémon.
β : yetzer ha'ra is a registered beta reader and is currently accepting beta reading requests.
|Beta Bio: general description as a beta reader
I am a new beta-reader, and I beta-read with a focus in checking for syntax, originality, and continuity.
Anyone who wishes to have their stories beta-read should be willing to take all of the criticism and compliments I have to offer. If your story reads like a first-grade primer (minus the exciting adventures of Spot, Dick, and Jane), then I will say so with little in the way of tact.
I will say what you do well, though. And by that, I mean that if you do nothing well, I will say so. (I'm not going to lie to you and say something like 'Well, at least you have good dialog' if in fact you do not.
I will be glad to help aspiring writers.
|My Strengths: beta, writing, or reading strengths
- GRAMMAR!!! (I am a copy editor for my high school newspaper, and my job is to stay after for eight hours a month checking grammar... Trust me; I am almost without match in terms of syntax)
- Identifying possible improvements in diction. (If your vocabulary needs some spicing up, I will help you find the words to communicate your thoughts in an interesting manner)
- Fact checking (esp. on Harry Potter/ Pokemon stories)
- Analyzing Continuity
- Pointing out cliches (Warning: I might not ever stop, though)
- Pointing out incomprehensible plots: Are you worried your plot may be too much for the average layperson to understand, but you want it to be simple? Test it out on me. One good thing about having a Beta with a below-average IQ is that if your Beta can understand your story, everyone else should be able to as well.
|My Weaknesses: beta, writing, or reading weaknesses
- I have trouble accepting canon abuse, which is generally useful, but sometimes will cause me to fact-check too much, as well as annoy the author.
- As I said before, I'm not particularly nice about beta-reading
- Intentionally Complex plots will go right over my head: I have below-average intelligence and if you are writing a book of complex entwining plots, I won't comprehend them with enough proficiency to give your story the attention and understanding it deserves.
- Long stories: If you're writing something longer than "War and Peace," or even something longer than "Little House on the Prairie," I will be lost.
|Preferred: types of stories I prefer over others
Pokemon (for exceptions to this rule, see below), Ranma 1/2, Inuyasha,
I like comedies, surreal pieces, one-shots, and anything original.
Stories I have experience in editing include stories involving POV changes and body switches.
|Would Rather Not: I do not beta for these stories
Sappy romance stories, or anything so tragic I will be crying too hard to read the screen.
Poetry I will only beta-read in a few circumstances, i.e. the author should email me first. Same with mysteries, as I am not good with the complexity mysteries usually entail. For the same reason, I am setting an upper word limit of 40,000.
A lower limit of 500 words has been established to prevent my time from being wasted.
|Language: English & Latin
|Content Rating: Fiction K » M
|Categories: categories in black are ones this beta has authored for
|Book Alice in Wonderland|
Tv Boy Meets World
Comic DC Superheroes
Book Fairy Tales
Misc Greek Mythology
Book Harry Potter
Comic Legion of Super Heroes
|Book Song of the Lioness|
Book Tad Williams
|Genres: genres in black are ones this beta has authored for