| greengirlblue 's Beta Reader Profile
Author has written 15 stories | Fruits Basket, Kingdom Hearts, Misc. Books, Tsubasa Chronicle, and Vampire Knight.
β : greengirlblue is a registered beta reader and is currently accepting beta reading requests.
|Beta Bio: general description as a beta reader
Okay, ready? Let's do this.
It helps everybody involved if you have a clear idea what it is that you want from your beta reader. Do you want help with grammar? Characterization? Or do you just need a second opinion on a section you feel unsure about? I can work at a lot of different levels of editing, from superficial improvements to complete overhauls of entire paragraphs.
On any given project, I typically write a short note at the end in regards to general trends or habits I see in your writing. I edit for fun (it's better than Sudoku!), so don't be shy to ask questions. You can be a little demanding. In fact, I prefer that you point out what, specifically, you'd like me to look at. Guidelines are helpful.
|My Strengths: beta, writing, or reading strengths
1. Spelling, grammar, punctuation. These are superficial changes that make a huge impact. I even know when and how to break the rules.
2. What makes a scene strong or weak, and why? I can usually pinpoint where narratives get bogged down with too much/too little description, awkward dialogue, awkward formatting, general wonkiness...
3. The author's voice. One of the things that I've gotten really good at is being able to understand the difference between what author wants to say versus what she actually writes. If you're at the level where you have a pretty good grasp of the basics, I can try to help you pull out the voice behind your story so it becomes more evident.
|My Weaknesses: beta, writing, or reading weaknesses
1. My attention span is shotty. I attempt to rectify this by making deadlines and sending status updates. You have my green light to bug me if you need me to speed up - I don't bite, promise!
2. I sometimes make mistaeks. I know that it's hard to believe, but there it is.
3. I can't work miracles. We all have to start somewhere, and I recognize that hitting someone with too much criticism can be both discouraging and not helpful at all. I try to tailor my edits to the level the writer is.
4. I might hit you up with too much information, anyway.
5. I also apparently suck at formatting html. (But I can make Microsoft Word do magic tricks.)
|Preferred: types of stories I prefer over others
1. A direction. Is there a point to this story? What are you trying to say, here?
2. Respect the canon. If I read fanfic, it's for the characters, so I don't get the appeal of Out-of-Character characters. Yes, non-canon relationships are fine with me.
3. Be confident in the story you want to tell, but be a little flexible in how you tell it. Otherwise, why would you want a beta reader in the first place?
|Would Rather Not: I do not beta for these stories
1. Do not give me a story that bashes your least favorite character. I'm fine with playing up character flaws, but there's a drastic difference between parody and just being mean-spirited.
2. Do not give me a story involving a character's death, suicidal thoughts, cutting, or other various means of self-destructive actions unless you are ready for some serious critical reviews, because these are subjects I do not take lightly. I'm more lenient when it comes to parodies and satires, but still.
3. Please do not send me a story about Character A's long-lost sister/ cousin/ childhood sweetheart/ new classmate who dramatically enters in the middle of the semester/ child that Character A had with Character B who is now having zany adventures of his or her own. There is a market for those stories. Unfortunately, I am not a part of that particular demographic. Good luck.
|Content Rating: Fiction K » M
|Categories: categories in black are ones this beta has authored for
|Cartoon Avatar: Last Airbender|
Anime Card Captor Sakura
|Game Final Fantasy VIII|
Anime Fruits Basket
|Movie Last Unicorn|
Cartoon Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir
Book Protector of the Small Quartet
|Book Song of the Lioness|
Anime Tsubasa Chronicle
Cartoon Voltron: Legendary Defender
|Genres: genres in black are ones this beta has authored for