|Beta Bio: general description as a beta reader
Hello, all! I go by Seven as much as possible out in The Real World, and Atashi Desu all around Cyberspace!
I have read a lot of books, fanfictions, etc, and I have found that spelling errors/typos are the one thing that makes getting into a good story most difficult (which is really disappointing when the story is amazing!). I understand that not everyone has perfect spelling or grammatical skills (especially when it comes to punctuation), and I understand that EVERYONE has typos (I typo waaaaay too often, myself), so I don't hold it against anyone. I'm just here to help you in any way I can to make your writing the best it can be.
My expectations of anyone wishing to acquire my services (my, that sounds so shmancy!) is to have a decent plot (even if the plot is something simple like, "A and B are having a family outing with little AB Jr. and fluff ensues!"), and at least a basic understanding of the English language.
I have never beta-read before, so this will be a new experience for me!
|My Strengths: beta, writing, or reading strengths
Spelling and grammar are my strengths. I am a Spelling-and-Grammar Nazi, really. I have this weird ability to just look at a word and know it's misspelled, even if I don't necessarily know the correct spelling off the top of my head (I just have to try spelling it a couple of different ways to see which looks right). While it's not foolproof (There are some words that just always look unnatural), it's still a pretty useful skill when editing! One grammar issue that really bugs me are interchanging words like "their", "there", and "they're", so that's one thing that I really crack down on.
Basically, if you're looking for someone to help with the technical side of writing, I'm your Beta!
|My Weaknesses: beta, writing, or reading weaknesses
I'm not so great with characterization. In my own writings, I tend to write everything as humour (even when I try not to) and skew the characters' personalities into a more humourous variance as well, so that's one thing I have to work hard on.
I also probably won't be able to help you make sure your characters aren't OOC as well if they're in the sort of "gray area". I can tell the really well-done ones and the really-horrible-oh-please-God-make-it-stop ones, though!
|Preferred: types of stories I prefer over others
- I really like F/F fics most, F/M second, and M/M least. I'll read any of them, though.
- I like way too much to narrow it down... and it all depends on my mood at the time, anyway. If I like it, I'll read it.
|Would Rather Not: I do not beta for these stories
- Smutty McSmut-Smuttingson, the Smuttiest Smut to ever come from Smutville, Smuttington. AKA If you're whole story can be summed up with the words, "These two do it." then I don't wanna read, thanks.
- MPreg. Just confuses me too much. Especially when there's no warning tag in the summary!
- Way too far out there pairings. Unless you do an amazing job of putting it together and make it really believable (eg. "Impossible" by PerfectPride has me completely convinced that Bellatrix/Hermione is canon), I just can't get into a story that my entire brain is screaming at me that it doesn't work. Sorry! I will try if you ask me, but no promises.
ALSO: stories that change a character's established sexual orientation, yet still try to claim it's canon. I'm sorry, it's AU or at the very least OOC if Jinks wants Claudia, and trying to claim it isn't just puts me off too much...
- Stories you don't plan on finishing! Please don't leave me hanging, guys!