Reviews for Unless it Be
jillian baade chapter 1 . 12/3/2002
Just what I needed to read after the latest chapter of A Very Fire. Sweet, by not sickly, I'm sure Cirdan and Osse will be very happy together.
Woman of the Dunedain chapter 1 . 10/20/2002
Whohoo! I love Osse! Wonderful fic. *Hits the print button*
Maia1 chapter 1 . 10/10/2002
"The sea itself is his delight, and brings him peace."

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

Thank you.
Cirdan chapter 1 . 10/8/2002
Must agree with other reviewers. You always evoke the most wonderful images with your careful wording. I like the idea that Cirdan and Hithwen did argue and fight over the moment of their parting. I'm so used to Cirdan being older that I really have a problem with him when he's younger. Osse almost seems like a reasonable lover, all things considered. He certainly enjoys the ramifications of Cirdan's vow. And what a great line: "There is no harbor for his soul, and he desires none." True enough. I think this counts as another one of those rare, happy slash stories. :)
Soledad chapter 1 . 10/7/2002
Sorry I am late for this.

It is always interesting to see how differently different authors can see - and write - about the same characters or situations. But, as we can see here, a good author can always write them differently and yet thoroughly enjoyably. Your CĂ­rdan is so different from all tho other wonderfully-written ones and yet their equal in all matters. Great work.
Celandine Brandybuck chapter 1 . 10/6/2002
Well, well, lovely as usual. (Although I spotted a couple of typos - just fyi.) But a clever setup - and yes, I think you're correct about Hithwen, but the story's not about her, is it?
Finch chapter 1 . 10/6/2002
'Unless it be the very seas' - word play worthy of Tolkien ('No living man...' and Beren's 'Even now a Silmaril is in my hand.')

As always, beautifully written, not a word too much or too little, and sentences that linger for a long time afterwards.

And - I can't help wondering who Hithwen got together with in the Blessed Realm, with her vow about the stars...
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 10/6/2002
Erunyauve and Artanis, I would assume she *did* keep her vow - in the same sense that he did. Since she's so drawn to light...

(I just didn't put it in the story because I couldn't bring myself to write OC slash.)
naltariel chapter 1 . 10/6/2002
Beautiful and sad. Cirdan is always as I imagine him to be, faithful. It's too bad that his love broke her vow in the sundering Sea. Yet, he never broke his. Not in this sense, for Osse is the Sea himself.

Lucky Elwing!
erunyauve chapter 1 . 10/6/2002
There is almost a tug of the ocean in Osse's first words to Cirdan - very nicely done.

I am left with the question - did Hithwen keep *her* vow?
Adrienne chapter 1 . 10/6/2002
This is a lovely fic- I love the scenes between Cirdan and Hithwen, and how, as per usual, you evoke so much with so few words.

I also love the imagery (of Cirdan walking on the beach, as well as the sexness)- the dedication to the Pacific made me sniffly and homesick, because the Bay is gorgeous, but it just isn't the same without the beach. XD

(Bronzed and dark-eyed; now I'm picturing Osse as one of the surf boys who collect around the Manhattan Beach pier to ride waves and stay until sundown. Wah.)

-ack, I'm leaving a nostalgia sniffle-fest in your review box. Sorry!