Reviews for Embers
AvidReader88 chapter 1 . 1/12
I'm definitley interested! I've never been into Weiss and Yang but I thought I'd give this a chance, and I'm glad I did. I'm very excited for your next update. Great job by the way!
- Avid
Faraway-R chapter 1 . 9/20/2014
Awwww!
KuroTodd chapter 1 . 5/9/2014
MORE FREEZERBURN AUGH

Cant get enough freezerburn

I crei
growlscout chapter 1 . 4/18/2014
I liked this look at Yang and Weiss' little dance. They do make a good pair and you did a good job providing Weiss and us a little peek at the deeper side of Yang. :-)

But, alas, Yang can only contain herself for so long. ;-) Thanks for this cool story.
FlamingGinger06 chapter 1 . 3/17/2014
Nice story. On another note, this ship has been growing on me as of late, and I am having trouble finding good stories on it. Do you have any suggestions?
Guest chapter 1 . 3/9/2014
:3frostdragon :3:3 luv it
Tear of Light chapter 1 . 1/14/2014
This was wonderful! I love the moment between Yang and Weiss. It was truly beautiful. Keep up the awesome work! :)
DezoPenguin chapter 1 . 1/11/2014
Hmmm, interesting. I think I'm going to go a little deeper into this one than I ordinarily would for a one-shot like this, since I spent so much time in e-mail with Moczo discussing his portrayal of Weiss and Yang's relationship in "Fog of War." (Speaking of which, is "Fog of War" supposed to take place sometime after this, or sometime before "Crash and Burn"? Agents of Beacon is starting to come near to requiring a chronology.)

Freezerburn isn't a ship which immediately appeals to me simply because the characters don't seem very compatible. They're opposite in a lot of ways, and not in the yin-yang, opposites-attract kind of way. Yang's very open, direct with her feelings, and is something of a blunt instrument. It's not so much that she doesn't have depth (as a big sister, for example, she's actually pretty sly sometimes in the way she pushes Ruby out of the nest so she can develop on her own), but that who she is is open for pretty much everybody to see. Weiss, on the other hand, pretty much has it all going on inside. She's prickly, like a hedgehog or a sea urchin. She's got family-background angst (which you've replaced with yuki-onna family background angst here, giving her a source for the same character traits). Heck, it's become something of a running gag in-show that Weiss will flip her opinion and start liking people and situations without us getting to see the internal thought process going on: Ruby in ep. 8, Ruby as leader in ep. 10, Blake as ex-Fang in ep. 16.

So in a setting like this one where you decide to have Freezerburn be a pairing, you need to show *why* the two of them would want to be together, what they'd see in each other. For Yang, it's easy: Weiss is really pretty and Yang is single, and Yang in this AU is pretty sexually voracious (which, honestly, I can easily see Yang being like; she's the kind of person whom it would be easy to see having casual sex because sex is fun to have, without having to build trust and intimacy with her partner, while Weiss I can see being a virgin until very, very long into a relationship), so of course Yang would make advances.

This fic repeats the "dragons on the hunt were like freight trains" simile from "Fog of War"; it handles it a bit better because it's made clear that the concept of "no" exists (significantly more important in this fic than in "Fog" because this story is a romance). But the important point is, it goes on to point out that Weiss and Yang's back-and-forth banter (also seen in "Fog") is not just two people sparring against each other, but is Weiss deliberately engaging with Yang, choosing to continue the engagement instead of just saying "shut up and go away." It's pretty vitriolic banter, sometimes, but the key point here is that you're showing us Weiss's perspective, in which she is deliberately choosing methods of engaging with Yang that she believes will continue to hold Yang's interest and intention (again, Yang being very open, this would be relatively easy for Weiss to know). This, in turn, means that Yang is giving Weiss exactly what she wants, so seeing Yang's actions through Weiss's eyes make Yang's actions seem less pushy and obnoxious.

That being said, I do think that one segment of the story (the section beginning "It wasn't that Weiss didn't like Yang") isn't really well-placed. It's basically a fourteen-paragraph infodump of Weiss's thoughts. The information is important for the story-actually, it's vital. But it probably should have been worked better into the story, into the actual discussion between Yang and Weiss, or while Weiss was doing something else, some task that allows her to stop and think; basically, it's informational notes, not really part of the narrative; at its best, it's a vignette inserted into the story. It also manages to miss on one key point: what, exactly *is* it that Weiss likes about Yang's attentions? The way it's written, with Weiss's history of rejection, it seems that it's basically the simple fact that Yang is sincerely attracted to her, without ulterior motives or any kind of bigotry, even though for some reason she's still convinced that it wouldn't work out. Maybe that's part of what makes her comfortable around Yang, the fact that Yang *is* so open about her feelings so that Weiss can, whatever else is going on, trust her. What I do wonder is, is there something special about Yang, or would anyone do?

I like the parts about Yang's concerns about the Bishop case and how it affects her future, the realization of the kind of world she lives in and the concerns she'd have for the future, and the truth of the fact that a combat-ready mate would be an asset to her family's safety. And it's very Yang to say so straight-out instead of pussyfooting around the point (hey, it exists, it's a valid point. It's not that she's going to deliberately choose a "type" of person based on badassery, just that marrying Weiss instead of a norm would take one issue off the table). And the surprise at the end-it's intriguing, that until that point, Weiss didn't actually suspect that Yang had a more than casual interest in her (the reasons why are another question, but that's something better addressed in a later story, either operating from her perspective or from her ). I'm very fond of this, too: rather than a sudden move to romance, instead the major impact of the story is that there's now something more on the table between the two of them than casual dating or sex, but something deeper and more meaningful. It's a step forward, rather than a conclusion, and it'll be interesting to see where it goes from here.
Tikigod784 chapter 1 . 1/11/2014
Ruby's got such an odd character that imagining her in a relationship is somewhat difficult. There's Weiss, obviously, but it seems too easy or something. This pairing however has a nice dynamic that makes it a bit more believable.
Moczo chapter 1 . 1/11/2014
moczothe1st asked:

Prompt chosen totally at random for Agents of Beacon: Post-Crash and Burn Yang/Weiss bonding fic that will finally allow me [SECRET REASON I WANT THIS] and which will let us finally get the story moving toward [SECRET PLOT EVENTS]. Totally random, though. XD

radiantstar7 answered:

“Absolutely not.”

For someone who claimed to have been knocked around during the mission to bring in Drake Bishop, Blake kept up with Weiss surprisingly well. “It’d be a favor, Schnee,” she insisted. “Someone needs to help Yang fill out the report and mark it as complete.”

The half breed looked at the faunus, ice blue eyes narrow. “And you can’t do this, why? And don’t say it’s because of an injury,” she added, making the leopard faunus wince. “You’re moving just fine. You didn’t get hurt.”

Blake sighed, rubbing a hand over her face. This was part of why she hated interacting with Weiss, whenever Ruby wasn’t around. The heiress was chilly, to put it mildly, and if you weren’t on her list of people she cared about, she didn’t tend to hold back. They got along well enough—they kind of had to, considering Weiss was Ruby’s partner and Blake was one of Ruby’s good friends—but they’d never clicked.

Still, she had promised. And Yang could use the cheering up, if she was completely honest.

Happy birthday to me! _

A lovely piece, in a couple ways. It did a lot toward developing why Weiss would like this incarnation of Yang, showed off her Alpha Female tendencies while also showing her softer side, and hinting at the emergence of a connection deeper than the physical attraction which is currently the center of their relationship.

And of course, I am outright gleeful to have you back writing Agents again. I loved this AU and loved writing it with you and… and there’s just a lotta love here, is my point. Can’t wait to see more… and can’t wait to [SECRET THING I’MMA DO NEXT]. That should be fun. :3