Reviews for The Dying Stone
RavenLady chapter 1 . 3/24/2006
This is incredibly beautiful, like something straight out of The Silmarillion, and an important gapfiller, for that matter.
RavenLady chapter 1 . 4/12/2003
*Cries* This is such a moving story!
Ainaechoiriel chapter 1 . 10/30/2002
Beatiful little story. The Kinslaying still burns me up and I am glad some people, like you, are writing stories that address it.
erunyauve chapter 1 . 10/15/2002
Your contrast between Olwe and Osse works nicely. I've always thought of Olwe as a somewhat gentle elf, and of course, our friend Voronwe has told us all about Osse's wrath! Between the two they hit a balance of anger and sorrow over what has happened.

Poor Olwe! I do think the pipers return after a time of healing, and find new echoes for their songs.
vorondis chapter 1 . 10/11/2002
Another disregarded character gets his due. I mean Olwe, but maybe the Arch should be included. That the death of a stone affects me as deeply as it does says something about the quality of this story. Beautiful and poignant.

And it was nice to see you used Fromen's poem; he was one of the first to write his own texts in Quenya.
Eledhwen chapter 1 . 10/9/2002
How very moving. Lovely.
Firerose chapter 1 . 10/9/2002
This is a gorgeous rich vignette, Soledad. I love the symbolic use of the rock arch - they are such awesome natural formations.

I did notice a few typos which it might be nice to correct before archiving, so as to avoid distracting the reader from your beautiful prose.
Cirdan chapter 1 . 10/9/2002
There's so much to this story, short as it may be. Your description of Alqualonde before all the horrors is wonderful. I love the image of the Sea gently caressing and shaping the Arch. Osse and Olwe have a strong relationship and bond, and rightly so. Indeed, Cirdan is not Osse's only avatar. The best part was the exchange of information between them. Olwe would tell Osse of Valmar, and Osse would in turn tell Olwe of Elwe, Cirdan, and the remnants of the Teleri in ME. A simple concept but one that we don't see very often. I like the mutually beneficial aspect of their relationship; it's not one of pure worship.

The aftermath of the Kinslaying is very moving. The grief mixed with rage is perfect. Olwe was no less saddened by the Kinslaying, but Osse's reaction is the truly impressive one. Your description of his destruction of the Arch is excellent, as is his sudden change to sorrow. I was actually reminded of the themes of LotR in this because Osse is wrought that things can never be as they were before, with the soft vibrations of living stone as the Teleri play their pipes, but no one has ever expressed regret for the past like this.

Anyway, in short (haha), I love this story. I'm sure I'm influenced heavily by my muse. :) I think this story shows exactly how much is yet unwritten about the peoples in the Silmarillion.
Casey Toh chapter 1 . 10/6/2002
Nice one, Soledad. I'm sorry for not having been able to review earlier. Darn exams!

I'm surprised and impressed that even the idea of an arch can become a story, and such a well written one at that.

Thank you for this. :)
Ellipsis chapter 1 . 10/6/2002
Brilliant. I doubt I'm, capable of any other serious comments...slightly sleep deprived, sorry. Who needs arguments when you can write fics like this?
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 10/6/2002
This is a story that truly had to be written. It's so easy to get caught up in the glory of the Feanorians and to forget what they did, and to forget King Olwe mourning over his destroyed city. Thank you for making us remember.

And, what you do with the Living Stone seems just right.
Watcherchild chapter 1 . 10/6/2002
What a lovely story. Olwe's grief is so poignant here, especially when he can't hear the echoes from the arch. And Osse was marvelous - it's rare to see any writing about Osse and the Teleri at Alqualonde, since most focus on the Falathrim.

Very very sad.
Finch chapter 1 . 10/6/2002
What a terribly sad story! The death and destruction of a stone symbolizing the death and destruction of so much else - people, a city, innocence, joy... And the way the beauty and joy in the first part of the story are contrasted with the ruin and grief in the second part... it's heartrending.

No, I don't think Olwe, or the other survivors, for that matter, can ever be truly happy again. I even wonder if the Blessed Realm could remain truly blessed after what happened here (but I shudder to think of the implications of this).
Staggering Wood-Elf chapter 1 . 10/6/2002
Tragic and beautiful. I love the image of Ossë smashing the arch. And you're right about Olwë being an ignored character. Now I'm *certain* he's going in the next chapter of my story.

What else can I say? Very nice story. I've run out of words that do it justice now... :)
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 10/6/2002
Very good, short but poignant, and very beautiful descriptions. We often read and write about the Kinslaying, but never about the victims and their suffering..