Reviews for The Blackreach Edda
Edhla chapter 1 . 2/13/2014
Hi, I'm from WA. :)

I love what you've done here with your verse... I wouldn't worry about it being "lyrical", since to me that's not the primary purpose of Norse poetry. You mimic well the strength of Norse translations like Beowulf, though there were a few moments where I thought it didn't work (matching "opals" with "opalescent", and the use of the word "ornery", which I feel is very American and drew me out of the poem entirely. "Don't" seemed a bit of a clanger as well.)

The alliteration worked very well for the most part, especially when you use the harsher consonants - "cluster of clansmen" is particularly strong because the sound reflects the clinking of armour. The softer stanzas incorporating the "ch" diphthong and "h" weren't as successful, but there was nothing strictly wrong with them.

If it ever comes down to it, I would recommend language over form, so if you have to bend the alliteration of the Eddic form slightly in order to get a really awesome expression in there instead of a serviceable one, I'd do it. Face it, not a lot of people will notice, and of those who do notice, not all of them will care. :)

But look, this is great and I'm going to continue to review it whenever I get time. Thank you for writing x
Lord Slayer chapter 1 . 2/10/2014
This is pretty fun, though it feels to me like the alliteration might be a little overdone, and could use a more lyrical quality, but that's just me.
Kes chapter 2 . 2/5/2014
This is thoroughly impressive. Awesome sense of rhythm and meter, and you're really putting across the feel of epic poetry. :) Keep up the good work!
Iron Stag chapter 1 . 1/16/2014
Wow, i thought this war really good. Keep it up, i'd love to see more from you.