Reviews for Neon Genesis Evangelion: That Which Could (not) Happen
AsteroidOdin chapter 19 . 1/13
I enjoyed it the first time and I enjoyed re reading it
mistalenny chapter 19 . 10/18/2021
thank you for the amazing fanfic!
JDH1080 chapter 17 . 10/10/2021
Alright nearing the end of my reread of this amazing fanfic and I just had to pause in the middle of this chapter to express how much I enjoy this scene. The rooftop scene between Shinji and Asuka is probably my favorite moment between these two in this fic. It's such a simple scene, but very lighthearted and touching. It's clear how much these characters have grown from one another while also still having much to learn and heal, but they're making steps in the right direction together and i just love it here. How Shinji finally gets the courage to revisit the topic of her trauma and getting her to open up a little bit to him. To her finally letting some of it out and receiving the comfort she needs from Shinji. Him holding her hand and saying "something stupid". And instead of Asuka getting mad she just laughs and says that all he had to do was hold her hand, and that's all she needed. And then her resting her head on his shoulder, and even when the bell has rung instead of returning to class Shinji opts to maintain the moment between them because he knows Asuka needs it, and he wants it too.

Man I just really like this scene. And a lot of other key scenes between them in this fic are good, but this one is my personal favorite.
JDH1080 chapter 5 . 10/6/2021
Finally setting back down to reread this. Man this is such a good fic. Despite my harsh, probably unfair nitpicky criticism of the events of a later chapter this is easily one of my personal favorite Evangelion fics. Mainly for one thing, Asuka. Your portrayal and development of Asuka is just so in character and so believable. I like how she starts off somewhat antagonistic to Shinji but how their relationship developed similarly to the show, but different. It's the little details in the slight changes that both make the relationship between them better and worse than canon, in all the best ways. Asuka at this point knows that Shinji likes her, and she herself has admitted to being infatuated with him. But in Asuka-like fashion she needs to push him away to protect herself. But doing so only serves to hurt both of them. And she realizes that and stops while still keeping him somewhat at arms length. One thing I really like about your version of Asuka is just how self-aware she is of her personality and her actions. Obviously she doesn't understand everything about herself, but she understands enough to know when she's hurting herself and people she cares about. And as she grows in this story we see softer shades of her we don't normally see in the anime. Such as in the later half of this fanfic when Asuka tries to comfort Shinji after the 14th. I could not imagine Canon Asuka at that point in the show being that patient and caring for him. (Obviously in his distraught state Shinji does push her patience past their limits because he's taking her for granted, but she doesn't completely give up on him. And after some reflecting and a last talk with Kaji Shinji realizes that despite how much he's lost he still has his remaining friends. And most importantly, despite how she can be he has Asuka in his corner. And that is a big turning point for them in this story that I really like. The previous one being their kiss and how it's bother better and worse for them in canon. And the realizations Asuka comes to about herself and the relationship between her and Shinji and why he won't make any sort of move on her. And that it's kind of her fault because of her mixed signals.) Gott this story is just so good. I'd honestly rank it up there with the likes of Genocide, Orchestrating the Silence, and You are (not) at fault. This is definitely the best retelling of Evangelion fic I've had the pleasure to read. Almost consider it like a Rebuild of Evangelion. We can call it Restructure of Evangelion.
mistalenny chapter 9 . 10/1/2021
damn rip Hikari
shell0 chapter 19 . 9/10/2021
I read this all in one sitting while in the hospital for a motorcycle accident and absolutely loved it.
JDH1080 chapter 18 . 7/8/2021
Okay... So apparently I've read this. Tried to post a review on the last chapter after finishing this but couldn't because I had already left a review about seven years ago...I swear I do not remember reading this fic. Which is weird because I remember reading quality fics like this. And this was quality. Despite my most recent review nitpicking the execution of the 13th angel (I do actually admire the gall of you to kill Toji. I can't think of any fix fic, or deviation fics that do that. Gutsy move, but one I respect.) I very much enjoyed reading this. Honestly I'd place this story on the same level as other amazing Eva fics like Genocide, Orchestrating the Silence, or the 2nd Try. This is easily in my top five right above You are (not) at fault. (Won't lie, the high points of that fic outdo the high points of this one. But you're story was far more consistent, the character interactions gripped me harder at every turn, and had no wasted scenes. Everything in this had a point.) Top tier stuff here.
JDH1080 chapter 10 . 7/7/2021
Okay. So...yeah.

I'm not going to lie, I like this fic. I really, really do. This is a really good trip down the story of Evangelion with some minor changes that will make a big difference. The writing is pretty strong and the characters have also been pretty good, especially Shinji and Asuka's relationship. And I also appreciate how you've given other characters some attention.

This last scene is just terrible though. Not just because you had the same results as cannon, with the dummy plug taking control and brutalizing the possessed Eva. You broke my suspension of disbelief a little here. Because we had Shinji actually try to fight to save Toji, he succeeded! Psych! Nope the Angel magically comes back to life after Shinji makes his big thank you speech and takes back Toji only to morph into him, cue Gendo using the dummy plug. Just feels like the author intentionally messing with the readers here. To your credit, the reactions of the characters do feel in character, but the fact that this is how these events played out just feels weak.

If you were going to have the end result be similar to canon I would have rather you had Shinji decide to fight to rescue Toji, not be able to free him but keep futility trying until Gendo became impatient with Shinji's refusal to finish the Angel and activate the dummy plug. Because right now I agree with Gendo. After the Angel took Toji back and fused with him, he was basically dead. And Shinji went back to refusing to fight. The events themselves feel... ludicrous.

Yeah. Other than that this has been a great story, could probably stand to have some slight revising here and there. But overall good. I'll still read this to the end because I'm still invested. But this was probably the most ridiculous version of this fight I've personally seen.
EvaPilotFair chapter 1 . 5/19/2021
I know this story is over seven years old now but I must say, it is fantastic and one of my all-time favorites. Thank you so much for delivering such a beautiful story to us. I almost wanna adopt it as my own head canon for NGE. Wherever your life's journey has taken you now, I hope it is a great one. Good luck and wish you nothing but the best on all your future life's endeavors!
Panda.k1ng chapter 2 . 4/30/2021
Fuck Hikari. Self righteous cunt.
“You made her cry!”
How?!
JenkoRun chapter 19 . 10/10/2020
Loved this, in fact I prefer your story to the original NGE, it ends on a sweeter note without losing the feel of what makes EVA, well, EVA. I'll be coming here for pointers when writing my own works on what can be considered realistic for these characters.
SoryuIkari chapter 19 . 8/18/2020
Thank you thank you thank you for this beautiful story! ️
I hope you get to finish the sequel pretty pleeeeeeeeeeaase
Brool Story Co chapter 19 . 6/8/2020
I LIKE IT!
howahotgluegun chapter 8 . 3/2/2020
Nvm forget my earlier review sorry
howahotgluegun chapter 7 . 3/2/2020
damn I didn’t finish this chapter but I just gotta say that Shinji blowing off Rei caught my eye (not an author problem I’m just noting character) maybe this is irrational but he’s just all “forget it”