Reviews for Chirin no Yoake
Chironex27 chapter 1 . 10/25/2014
Not so certain I understand the direction this afterlife took, but it's certainly well-written and provides backstory that makes the Wolf seem like a more three-dimensional figure, instead of the purely murderous character in the film. It's actually a very nice ideal of heaven; the goat and the wolf truly coexisting peacefully.
AXYZ-Knightrox7 chapter 1 . 10/5/2014
If only the people in old Japanese filming would show us a sequel, reboot or epilogue of this old animated film.
whitealmond chapter 1 . 7/12/2014
I thought this was a fitting tribute to the movie. I was also thinking that while Chirin would never find redemption in life, he could possibly find solace in death, and see his mother again, who would still love him unconditionally. I love your backstory for the wolf - it really fits in with the movie - and I love how everyone is reunited in peace, finally.
Bovine Beauty chapter 1 . 4/11/2014
What a beautiful story to a sad anime that left on a cliffhanger ending, never knowing what really happened to Chirin at the end where it pained me greatly to see him endure such suffering and regret of what he had become in the end, unable to return to the place where he grew up. To me, the Japanese version was more heartbreaking, but both versions are great. I never even know the film was a symbol of the WWII society, representing the meaning behind childhoods, mothers, and innocence lost because of war. Perhaps movies like "Ringing Bell of Chirin" and "Grave of the Fireflies" will make viewers think twice before starting off any war.

This story almost had me in tears, as if Chirin somehow found peace with himself, despite the bad choices he made in life and came to regret them. I always sensed that even in his beastly form, Chirin was still that same innocent lamb deep down inside, who only wanted to be with his mother again. Here it seems he finally got his wish and will never suffer or be alone ever again.
NoRatCat chapter 1 . 1/21/2014
I didn't expect to come across this. I have to say it was a nice read. You made a whole new side to Wolf and I never thought of him having a family. I'm glad in the end Chirin found some happiness, even if it was in death. I liked your explanation to why there were no male rams besides Chirin featured in the film. Overall I liked this read. I myself had an idea of a fanfic set a few years after the film, but it would feature Chirin alive.