Reviews for Becoming Lífþrasir
Brigantes chapter 9 . 10/13/2017
The Nadder let her out on one of her escape attempts, right?
Krystalslazz chapter 23 . 10/2/2017
this is a fantastic story. I loved it :D thanks for writing.
Guest chapter 10 . 10/2/2017
Aww how sweet!
Earthenfist chapter 13 . 10/1/2017
Okay, hold on. 2 HOURS to make a full chainmaille hauberk? And a Berkian-Viking-sized one at that? An armourer would give up their first-born to be able to do a full hauberk in 2 hours. 2 DAYS would be pushing speed, with fully-welded maille. A specialty alloy, harder than normal? Hiccup would be an impressive smith if he could make one of those in 2 WEEKS.

Also, just WHAT is this mystery alloy? Did Hiccup stumble on some sort of Titanium smelting process? Magical imbuement via dragon fire?
another go chapter 5 . 10/1/2017
Damn, I remember wanting to really get into this story a couple of years ago but I spoiled myself with reading ahead (namely the second fic of the becoming series), and I lost the desire to read on. Something happens (not necessarily a bad thing) during the five years hiccup went awol, and I can't say I was very pleased. Dont get me wrong, your writting is so engaging and I'm a sucker for runaway hiccup fics, but for the longest time I couldnt get passed this plot point, and it didn't feel right to continue with this upset tainting the reading experience.

SPOILER!
The fact that hiccup, for a short time, routinely fucked a woman and imagined it was Astrid just didn't sit well in my gut. In my head, there was noone for hiccup but astrid - liberal viking social norms be damned. Even if the h/a pairing had yet to be established, and he wasnt in love with the woman, AND it was a purely physical outlet for his loneliness, it was soooo ooc for me and unfortunately I couldnt get passed it. I honestly dont even know if it was even a huge plot point but.. Idk.. It just turned me off this story.

A couple years on i accidently come across this fic again and I feel like I have a better understanding of the complexities of the human heart to give this fic another go. I still dont like it, but I think in this universe with this version of hiccup, it makes sense. He didnt have plans to return, he truely felt that a love/life with her was nothing but a fantasy. How could i possibly begrudge you giving poor hiccup a little outlet to live his fantasy? To get lost in a reality where hiccup the useless got the girl of his dreams? - hindsight is a bitch yeah? As a reader (particularly within fanfiction) you have knowledge of character fates and how pivetal scenes in the source material propel characters towards growth/their fate. My brain automatically started to make leaps and assumptions as to what happened to hiccup during his absence and when you wrote something that didn't fit into my preconceived notions of what his experiences could have been it did my head in - arrogant bitch much? dealing with a bit of a purest, picky control freak here, but hear me out! In any other fandom I PROBABLY could have carried on reading but my love for hiccstrid and knowing how hiccup is/how he theoretically would have acted had he run away in the original, i was blind sided. This was so left field and I felt it was completely unnecessary/ooc/added nothing to the story. ("then what the hell are you doing reading fanfic? Isnt that the main premise of fanfic? To challenge and explore different possibilities within a universe?" well, yeah, but within reason.)

I can deal with au ooc angst etc, but your story had no indication that this was anything but an in-character, near identical universe. I think thats probably why i initially rejected this story with such vitriol.

Looking back, i judged too hastily, and come to think of it...yeah, this DOES have purpose to the plot. Do I think the story could have had the same outcome without this plot point? Yes, I do. Do I think his need for womanly comfort to appease his longing for astrid could have been handled in a way that didn't involve hot steamy nights with a stand-in? Hell yeah!

I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Other then that, this story is beautiful written and the carefully placed nuances of viking life really puts this fic on another level. I'm really looking forward to finally committing to finishing this series.
epiphany23 chapter 21 . 9/1/2017
Wish there were bits about hiccup and Astrid talking about Josepha but I liked the story
Readmenot chapter 6 . 8/3/2017
I read your stories years ago but it was only recently that I made an account here...so Im posting a rather late credit where credit is due thing hahaha,..thank you for your work all eddas are perfect... :) tap on the back Sir/mam :)
ExodusClaw chapter 1 . 8/2/2017
Oh I forgot to mention my embarrassing plight; it took me reaching chapter 8 to realize Hiccup's alias, Cattongue, was 'Cat Tongue' just without the space. In my mind, I was pronouncing it Cat-Ten-Hugh (which sounded cool so I just went with it) but yeah...8 chapters of derp
ExodusClaw chapter 23 . 8/2/2017
Okay so there's a few things I wanna say; firstly...I love you Midorika-Tama plz marry me 3 in all seriousness, your writing style, your grammar and the actual methodical planning in this story has me HOOKED. This is the kind of writing I want to aspire to, though I've never finished a story and never published one either...

I don't know how you do it; it must get so tough at points but I guess you just power through it, huh? I really respect you as a writer, and I'm surprised to type that because I never thought I would do so EVER.

Of course, I believe there's ALWAYS room for improvement but you've done very well. At most, I saw some typos and perhaps a handful of sentences that could have been worded better but there's nothing outrageous that needs your immediate attention. I can't even remember if there was anything else I wanted to bring to your attention!

I also want to apologize, though I know it's not necessary, for not reviewing earlier; this review should've been posted 3 or 4 days ago when I got to this chapter (still haven't gotten to read it yet since your author's note advises to read the second Edda before hand) but life got in the way plus I was upset I couldn't read this chapter right away and had to come back after the second Edda to truly appreciate it. Also want to apologize for not reading the author's notes at the beginning and end of the chapters, I was just so invested in the world I just dove straight into the story but if I reread this story, which I tend to do with stories I like so it's highly likely, I'll make sure to read them.

All in all, as you can tell from my review, I'm thoroughly impressed and satisfied with this story. I'm really sorry I couldn't offer any constructive criticism but I think your writing far surpasses mine. I'll definitely be reading more from you! (Next up is the second Edda! Also, i saw you were a member since 2003?! Wow, that's dedication! And from the Inuyasha fandom no less lol)

See you in my next review if I write one! Favorited!
Guest chapter 18 . 7/31/2017
Great story, and then you go ahead and have him lose his leg in pretty much the same fashion, even though this isn't a Hiccup who only had a couple days/weeks learning to ride a dragon. He's been doing so for years.
Valhousha chapter 18 . 7/31/2017
wow, hiccup just turned all of Hel upside down, hangover, huh?
Valhousha chapter 1 . 7/30/2017
I am NOT the only one here who thought that Hiccup's alias was pronounced /catt-on-gu/, when it actually is /cat-tounge/,wow.
Valhousha chapter 1 . 7/29/2017
I'm crying..
WeRiseAbove chapter 16 . 7/10/2017
i first read this story no more than a fucking month ago and here i am again chapter 16 how did this happen i wanted to reread like one scene no joke

god this is probably my favorite httyd fic ever? however its actually hard for me to find good ones so that really isnt saying enough, this is probably one of my favorite fics ever? there you go. i love it. i love the setup and the way the characters have your twists but are still *them* and i love how much research you put into the culture and i love how thoroughly you thought through every detail of the strategies in this story, i love it so much

and i cant remember the last time ive been so struck emotionally by a recurring theme in a story? the thing with the "later" in this killed me the first time and its killing me this time as well. as a matter of fact i think im enjoying this far more the second time around - i must have savored it too little when i read it first. anyway

i think my favorite lines in this whole thing are "Maybe, the poor dragon was asking for a 'later' after Snotlout had shunned her. And maybe, Stoick didn't have a later - not with that beast on the way. Maybe he only had a now. He thought of his smart, bright-eyed boy, and wondered how well he would have taken to dragons, to training them, to riding them. Immediately, he knew that Hiccup would have been the first one on a dragon, screaming as he shot up into the sky and fell off and made disasters and got hurt." god just. everything about that bit. the callback to the "later" thing, and how it shows stoicks growing understanding of dragons and how stoick has been so so wrong about hiccup before but hes finally correct right here. god this gives me chills and makes me want to cry simultaneously and i really cant put my finger on why. you my friend are everything that i adore in authors. thank you.
Guest chapter 15 . 7/3/2017
Dear god I love astrids mom
1,155 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 .. Last Next »