Reviews for Purple Elks
Amanthya chapter 44 . 3/17
It's kind of weak not to show Legolas meeting his mother, which would've been if bitter at least also sweet - and explaining exactly why her husband isn't there, despite her having died with every expectation of seeing him again. He didn't want to start over? Understandable, if not entirely forgivable. He feels one with the land? It's dirt and rocks and plants, and that will never compare to flesh and blood. The words he said don't feel entirely out of character, just like a fcking awful pathetic argument. Legolas might've spent time ducking out of being ruled by his father, but probably would've appreciated getting to spend time with him after he put down his role as king. And reuniting with his wife isn't "starting over" really. It weakens his so-called love for her, makes her just a pale replacement for "the one that got away" which I won't call impossible or unrealistic... in a non-Tolkien story... although idk where people get the idea Elves let anything really get between them and the one they love and bond to... but yeah this left a bad taste in my mouth.
I'm happy for Gimli's wish-fulfillment, and the pacing of the story was good without things to suddenly jar one out of the story. I will say that Tauriel was realistically written as a decent leader who felt natural and plausible, and Legolas had good growth as well (though Tauriel's character-growth trumped his, but she felt like the main focus of the fic so that seems right). I felt a bit bad for her at times because although once in a leadership position she was determined to do her best, she didn't really want it in the first place and it took her out of the forest more often than not which I'm surprised she didn't resent more.
The sadness of Arwen's fate and the decay of the Greenwood kingdom, and the disbanding of the guard, was terribly melancholy, although touche on how it's probably like how it was before the Sinda arrived.
Kudos on Tauriel, although exasperated by her husband's actions, respecting his desire for one last adventure with Gimli.
Their kids were likable, which was nice, good job on that.
Amanthya chapter 42 . 3/16
The world has strange priorities? Fidelity is strange? Thranduil could've sailed his *ss to the Halls / Valinor whatever, wherever his wife resides if he couldn't bear being alone (and take his kid with him). No one made him stay. Sense of duty to his people is no excuse, because his first duty is to his family, and the wife he made vows to. I absolutely get Legolas's pov here.
Plus, Silmarillion made it clear (with Feanor, etc) what a bad idea second-spouses were and why they aren't allowed (kinslaying wars are a bit of a drawback, ones supposes). Don't get me wrong, I like your oc well enough, but I've not been thrilled with the secondary romance plot, worse because it doesn't even take the route some fics do where they conveniently ignore that elves will reunite after death, but rather acknowledges the possibility (it's not a mere possibility but a proven and accepted fact in the Tolkien 'verse, one bit of evidence being Glorfindel) and defies it anyway.
That's not really romantic when you consider how the original spouses will feel, and how everyone else will be forever caught in the middle because of this distasteful act.
Given how well you've balanced Tauriel's compassion for other races with Thranduil's primary-concern, as king, for his own people against undefeatable foes and unwinnable battles, I'm also surprised to see the skewed perspective here. Legolas is painted as the odd-one-out. The bad guy, for being unwilling to accept this, but all the characters who do "come around" are given the vibe of being in the right. That's not very subtle or balanced, and not in line with Tolkien's established rules.
And their actions are not the kind of d*mn-the-world defiance I personally find sweet or romantic, just selfish, greedy and frankly weak and unworthy behaviour. At least it's not worsened (thus far) by adding yet more children into the mix (so Legolas can additionally suffer watching his father be a better father to them then he ever was - in his distant, grieving, kingdom-first sort of way - to his firstborn). Although other reviews say that Thr and Nim intend not to sail, which makes them come off as cowardly (unable to own up to their actions and face consequences), even more selfish and frankly cruel to their family (especially Legolas, well and of course the original spouses). Their behaviour / decision is detestable, which is unfortunate as I otherwise like this story. I will finish it, because I hate abandoning fics unread, but the re-readability score has taken a hit.
Cmdr.DorkyBadass chapter 44 . 8/10/2020
After all these years. I still love this story and its the best Tauriel/Legolas stories I've ever read.
And of course the second chance for Thranduil and Nimiel. Always thought that its fate Nimiel went to Woodland Realm and its obvious that their love for each other through the millennium and all the grief they shared is enduring because they have each other even though its took the rest of their life to figure out what they still feel for one another.

I would really love to read a story of them married each other but they wouldn't be who they are if they did.

Thank you for sharing this lovely story of yours.
Guest chapter 44 . 5/28/2020
Beautiful story!
Beren and Luthien2 chapter 10 . 5/14/2020
Awww
Beren and Luthien2 chapter 44 . 12/29/2019
im crying... I cant believe its over. Thank you for this. I loved it! plz write one about thranduil and his wife
Beren and Luthien2 chapter 40 . 12/29/2019
ha! love it.
Beren and Luthien2 chapter 34 . 12/29/2019
awwwww
Beren and Luthien2 chapter 16 . 12/28/2019
I looooooooooooooove this. Its awesome. Thank Eru you made this story.
Beren and Luthien2 chapter 14 . 12/28/2019
awww I love Thranduil and Nimiel!
Beren and Luthien2 chapter 5 . 12/28/2019
It just keeps getting better and better!
Beren and Luthien2 chapter 2 . 12/28/2019
the is awesome!
Guest chapter 1 . 11/24/2019
hi i just wanted to say this is one of the best stories ive ever read thanks for writing it
Guest chapter 44 . 8/16/2019
This is a beautiful story and I must confess that I stayed up far too late over several nights reading it in my free hours. You captured real people in this story. With their strengths and flaws, dreams and disappointments. I laughed out loud and I cried too. And your endings were very thoughtful. You did a great job of weaving movie verse and book verse into your own original tale. Great job. I hope you write other tales of the adventures of the woodland elves.
Angel2013 chapter 44 . 6/4/2018
First off let me say overall, I really enjoyed this story! I don't come across too many Legolas/Tauirel stories and especially not one so detailed and well written. It was truly a pleasure reading this and I'm so happy you completed it.

I think what I liked most was your take on Legolas and Tauriel and their interactions together. A lot of freedom is given in regards to their story and I feel you did a good job executing it. I can really believe many things that happened while going through this story and I was always eager to read more. It makes me happy to know other people can see a relationship for these two despite whatever odds may be in their way and you really made a wonderful story for them.

I will confess however that I am not overly fond of the whole Thranduil and Nimiel thing going on (although I know neither of their characters would care in this story). I saw it coming pretty early on so I prepared myself for it, though out of everything in the story this felt too 'out of place' for lack of better words. I guess because I read up that something like that would rarely if ever happen so it seemed a bit ooc for the lore of the elves in Tolkien's universe but I understand it's not impossible so I can't fault you for doing it. I do really like Nimiel though and seeing her interactions with Thranduil was still enjoyable to read for the most part.

Anyway, not to leave this on a slight negative note I must repeat that I really did enjoy this story and thank you so much for writing it. It will definitely be among my faves for this pairing. I wish you the best and I do hope you continue writing as you are very good at it.