Reviews for Out of the Reign
Librarian73 chapter 2 . 2/2/2014
good chapter it advanced the story nicely
Inumiru chapter 2 . 2/2/2014
Sooo, I take it it's a more "modern" era not taking place in the 90's then? I mean truthfully, I wouldn't see the point in getting him a phone, big tv, and ps3 along with a laptop as he can't even use any of them for majority of the year, so by the time he can use them, they're already out of date. Personally it seems like a waste of money.
cahcnn chapter 2 . 2/2/2014
Okay, I usually wouldn't leave a review for a story that's just starting but... I just can't believe it, it's like, the first time that I'm seeing the Dursleys (or just Vernon) being good (even if it's just because of the blackmail)! I mean, there are some where Petunia just decides "fuck my husband and fuck my son, Harry deserves more attention than them" and it feels wrong. But this? You did it. At least to me, it doesn't feel too weird. And really, Harry has never tried to show that wizards are just like muggles. It's nice to see him grow a backbone.
So. I always thought the Dursleys had some money. To give your child almost forty gifts on his birthday is a bit much, uh? And while this is 1993 and there isn't any PS4 or flat screens or smatphones... I forgive you because I wasn't even born then and I really wouldn't know what kind of technology there was. (PS. I almost said you were wrong about the XBOXONE/PS4 prices, but it's just that here in Brazil, it's about 1.000 dollars and 2.000 dollars. I'm not kidding. And yes, the PS4 here is way more expensive and no it doesn't make any sense)
About your story... Until now, everything is believable, I do think Lily would have seen how different the magical world is and it isn't too far off that she would research things that purebloods just take and for granted, without even knowing why.
And while I don't feel all that Ginny/Harry feels, you already made me like this, so I think I'll like your Ginny )
Waiting for your next update!
DeathCrawler chapter 2 . 2/2/2014
hmm kinda interesting that vernon would but all that hardware i can believe it but still kinda overkill if you ask me
TheWiseDragon chapter 2 . 2/2/2014
Seems like this is the obligatory shopping chapter many stories seem to have. Just wanted to remind you that they didn't have 3D TV's or Xbox One or anything of the like in 1993. If you're going for a believable story please think of that.
Kingdark chapter 2 . 2/2/2014
So far so good, keep it up eh :)
Aranta chapter 2 . 2/2/2014
I like this story, but Windows 8 in 1993? And Smartphones? You didn't tell, that this will be so far from canon timeline.
SimplyRV chapter 2 . 2/2/2014
nice chapter.
it is certainly a change of pace. Normally it's harry who gets beaten, and starved, and now Vernon and petunia treat him like a normal boy... I wonder what the catch is...
Update soon can't wait.
ultima-owner chapter 2 . 2/2/2014
Not bad trip
strangeways chapter 2 . 2/2/2014
If it's the summer before third year, it's 1993 ... and you have Harry getting 2013 tech and (to a lesser extent) fashion (cargo pants weren't something many people were wearing in 1993). Moving the narrative forward twenty years makes Dumbledore, Hagrid, and Voldemort significantly older (unless you're also ignoring that the book your story is set immediately after revealed that Tom attended school in the 1940s, with Dumbledore as one of his professors and Hagrid a fellow student).

Given when the videogame consoles mentioned were released, this actually seems to be the future, as we've not yet reached a northern hemisphere summer since that release.

There's a general problem here with overly specific irrelevent details: it's unlikely to be plot relevant whether the phone is 4g or not. We likely don't need to know the exact details of Harry's wardrobe or other purchases. It's unnecessary filler.

As a side note, I'm often amused at how many authors have the characters wear the movie uniforms rather than the book ones. The book ones don't have trousers, shirts, jumpers, or ties. There's no mention of lining or trim in house colours, no house badges. Just black robes and pointed hats. Presumably many students wear clothing underneath, but it's clearly not a requirement or an official part of the uniform.
The Jabberwock of OZ chapter 2 . 2/2/2014
Ohh.
What i nice chapter you got her bucco.
This being one of the first HP fics i have read i do like what you have done with Harrys new dynamic with Vernon.
It does have a feel that they have...bonded? more than the story has ever gave them.
Plus if you imagine the scenes with Harry and Vernon looking at the electronics it is kinda funny and a nice bonding experience.
Harrys comment about how they would have wanted to have Dudely be treated by Harrys parents if the situation had been reverse actually got me to think .

i could go on for a bit but i believe that will be all for now.
iSee you next chapter man
Mrs. Albus Severus Potter chapter 1 . 2/1/2014
COOL! Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see what comes next! Please update soon!
ultima-owner chapter 1 . 2/1/2014
love the silencer idea
Sinclaire Silverfang chapter 1 . 2/1/2014
please update soon
XRaiderV1 chapter 1 . 2/1/2014
well done start to a new story!
203 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 .. Last Next »