Reviews for Barriers
nicew chapter 1 . 5/13/2015
Funny and sweet and sexy. Nicely done!
annafan chapter 1 . 12/8/2014
JWAB recommended your work to me and I'm so glad she did. This is great - fascinating characterisation, funny and sexy. (I was bemoaning the scarcity of good het and this has got it all from my perspective - a relationship of equals who also fancy the arse off each other). I'm also amused because I knew about bundling from 17th and 18th century Scottish history, and had actually been wondering about using it in a fic - but you beat me to it.
Majestrix Stormbringer chapter 1 . 10/31/2014
*screams* Oh my goodness. This was so sexy and funny and their voices were right on point. Thank you so much for posting!
koali29 chapter 1 . 10/16/2014
Beautiful story, loved the dirty talking.
Cree chapter 1 . 8/30/2014
That was beautiful.
Aniralynn chapter 1 . 6/29/2014
This. O_O This thing is wonderful. Beautiful. I HAVE NO WORDS TO EXPRESS MY HAPPINESS.
thunder2010 chapter 1 . 4/27/2014
Loved this!
girlsix chapter 1 . 2/27/2014
You are so good! That was very well done.
EreshkigalGirl chapter 1 . 2/12/2014
Well...yum. Shakespeare and smut, all in one.
Ruby-Wednesday chapter 1 . 2/9/2014
um, this is perf. i loved it
latbfan chapter 1 . 2/2/2014
Like everything else you write, the characterization and word choice and gestures are all so spot-on. The language is so beautiful. The pacing is perfect. Sure, they're taking it slowly, but it's not slow-reading AT ALL. I love how you handled Katrina because ignoring her completely isn't an option, but fixating is no good either. It was a nice balance that felt right. And like all your smut, it's the opposite of smashing naked Barbies together. Full of significance and meaning and character-driven, it's just beautiful and the opposite of fluffy.

I love the inevitability of love, demons, and IKEA.

I love their first, slime-covered kiss. I can see him sitting there in the seat, all formal and straight-backed, as he asked for permission. So perfectly in-character. As is Abbie's "chaster than a nun with a yeast infection" description. Just... Ew. But also yes. Absolutely.

I'm so glad you didn't write him all prissy and prudish just 'cause he's from long ago, because that's not accurate anyway. And coitus is SO the least sexy word EVER. *nods enthusiastically in agreement* In fact, I made that case just yesterday. (TMI?) Paramours, however? I've always loved that word. I now demand that Crane say it on the show.

Checkers and batteries? Awesomely and believably funny. Snort-out-loud stuff.

"To the bedroom!" I imagined him proclaiming this with one hand raised, all sexy military-man. Yes and please. I wouldn't have needed to be told twice either.

A delinquent hand AND poetry in beautiful old-fashioned script? I mean, dude: I think I would die (and be quite grateful about it) to receive a proper love letter, complete with Shakespeare quoting. Who does that?! Oh right: genius Brits with intense eyes and magnificent cheekbones. (Lord, the cheekbones!)

So in-character that he kisses like that - gentle and precise and very exceptionally skilled. And the second night of bundling is, hands down, the sexiest thing I've ever read. Just... *clears throat* Yes. Very well done indeed. *more throat clearing*

I love that Abbie, although she warns that she's both a biter and hair-puller (which, true that), is so patient and gentle with him. Waiting. And that she lets him decide. (The fragile books? True that, too.) That Abbie has scars she won't talk about feels so right and true. That he ended up with his boots still on is adorable and awkward and just right.

Wonderful, my friend. Just wonderful.
MadHattress3 chapter 1 . 2/1/2014
This story was awesome! I especially liked the 'checkers' bit :D
Hazelmist chapter 1 . 2/1/2014
Omg was that actually something they really did, that's crazy! Haha, I love how they finally seize the day and go for it.
JWAB chapter 1 . 2/1/2014
This fic is everything. The characterization is, as always, exactly right. You capture their voices perfectly, both of them. The story is hot as fire, realistic, and absolutely unexpected - a trifecta of awesomeness. I adore this story. Shall we dig in? (I'm going to miss a ton of fabulous writing because the fic is long and all amazing. There isn't a missed step or slow passage to be found. Default here is Fucking Fantastic, with honorable mentions for Slam Dunks.)

I love that despite the obvious fact that they are on the same page with regard to each other, Ichabod still insists on certain proper practices - like asking to kiss her. The notion that he wasn't a virgin when he married is both historically accurate (THANK YOU - you know I feel this way, but I'm saying it anyway - for not equating Guy From Historical Past with Total Effing Prude. He's not. Formality simply indicates respect) and very interesting: you make it clear that his hesitation stems from depth of feeling, not fear of sex. All kinds of wonderful, and sets up the bundling thing perfectly.

BUNDLING. So weird. So ideal for SH fic. So effective at promoting sexual tension. Way to nail the excellent idea.

I love that Katrina comes up, and I love how you handle it. I love that he kisses like his personality - precise, gentle, but Very Effective. I love that Abbie, again being perfectly in character, has the strength to put aside her own immediate gratification and do the thing Ichabod wants/needs. That is Abbie all over. Which is not to say she's sacrificing - she's not - she just has the composure to keep her dick in her pants, so to speak.

The hand on her skin. Drifting to sleep. The poem! All lovely. All moving slow (but not READING slow). Pacing is fantastic.

The second bundling session is one of the smuttiest, most astonishing passages I've ever read. It's sexy and still specific, full of desire and vulnerability and surprising sexual practices. And the dialogue?! I am dead. THAT is how you write sex dialogue, friends. That is how you do it. So intimate, so honest. It's insane and stupendous. Kudos.

And then, because Ichabod was the one who was hesitant, it's Ichabod that initiates in the final scene. Beautiful. Love the echoes of their descriptions, love the "scars she wouldn't talk about." Love Ichabod never losing himself in the moment so completely that he forgets about the frailty of books, and (you know this too) I am forever indebted to you for giving Ichabod's fingers exactly the right job. THAT IS WHAT HIS FINGERS WERE MEANT TO DO. Happily will never look at those fingers the same way again.

And of course, 100 points for exposing the connection between emotional and physical barriers with one sentence. Subtle but clear. Deftly done.

Favorited, obviously. Your work elevates the art form. Your interpretation elevates the show. You writing continues to inspire me. Thank you.
irishwoodkern chapter 1 . 2/1/2014
Loved the slow build and the elegent prose - really great work.