Reviews for Count Kumquat--Lord of Darkness
The J.A.M. a.k.a. Numbuh i chapter 1 . 2/4/2014
I wonder how he got a hold of those fanfics in the first place... :D :D :D
Rye-bread chapter 1 . 2/1/2014
I'm totally bewildered why E M-C keeps asking me to beta-read his stories. Like Mozart, who is rumored to have composed his music complete and finished without any rough drafts, my man Man-Child's stories arrive to me complete and and pristine...never more so than now. I opened up the file he had emailed to me and settled down for as delightful read as I can recall for quite a while.

Such gentle delightful parody. Am reminded of WB's Pinky and the Brain's shenanigans trying to conquer the world every night. Am reminded from Killgor, the irresistablly cute little robot from My Life as a Teenage Robot, who threatens to destroy his enemies in a squeaky little soprano voice.

So compelling are his descriptions, I do believe that I've fallen under Rarity's spell, much as Dante became enamored by Beatrice, and as Pip was hopelessly smitten by Estella Havisham in Charles Dickens' Great Expectations...and both these ardent loves were sadly unrequited. Alas, Kumquat, I feel for you, dude; we're all brothers under the skin.

Some authors use sort of gentle, or banal, description to weave a paradoxically horrid tale. Ambrose Bierce comes to mind, and Oscar Wilde's Portrait of Dorian Gray. My man Man-Child weaves an opposite spell, taking Rarity's frantic reluctance, Kumquat's dark ambition, and Fluttershy's irrepressible affection to fashion a tale of endearing theme and soothing mood. In my FF-dot-net profile, I cite how I aspire to the ideal of French author Gustave Flaubert's "le mot juste", "the right word". Man-Child leaves me in the dust. This tale is so sweet, so endearing, so delightful...am I too effusive?

This was in no wise a chore to beta-read. Quite the opposite, more than I can say. This is what fan-fiction is all about, a work like a perfect gem, derived from the source story.

Honest to Goshen, I'm wracking my brain even now trying to think of some flaw with this story...what the hey, I'm stumped. Color me a fanguy.