Reviews for Dirt
Midnight Comet chapter 31 . 3/26/2021
I don't know why nobody had written a review on this chapter, but it was everything I was hoping for when I imagined Joel and Tommy's split. Raw, emotional, pure rage and years of built of anger finally coming out in a nasty brawl that ended in those biting words. "I don't ever want to see your goddamn face again."

Troy's death still throws me for a loop, even if I knew he wasn't gonna make it to the end. He was an amazing character, my favorite in the story for sure. You won't find many like him anymore.

Also, I really hope the Bloater at UEC wasn't the same Joe that Tommy knew, considering it was also named Joe with Firefly pendant, but that's likely the case.

Either way, this was an amazing chapter, and an amazing story overall.
aadi chapter 8 . 12/21/2020
bro please make a last of us 2 remake story with same characters...that way i could say that it had a better ending
Raymiller234 chapter 1 . 12/17/2020
Astern i'm currently at chapter 18 and i just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. The last of us is my favorite story and in particular Joel and Tommy's characters. After finishing part 2 i was left very disappointed in how they didn't do the story and in particular the characters we love justice. I've dreamt of a prequal as the one you've written ever since finishing the first game and you've just done it so right. I love how it's from Tommy's perspective and seeing Joel from the outside gives so much context into how others see him and why they ended up becoming estranged. Neil and the other Last of us 2 writers should be ashamed because this fan fiction is heaps better then what they wrote.
loved it bro chapter 2 . 12/10/2020
loved the interaction between joel and tommy..felt like you do how both of them think..keep going bro...make more stories and i guarantee you i will be there to read every one of them..love u mann
Raymond chapter 2 . 9/22/2020
Mate this fan fiction is unbelievable I can’t get over how well written it is plus it’s a part of the story I’ve always been curious about. Sad that your fan fiction is 100 times better then the last of us 2
3uph0 chapter 32 . 7/26/2020
Thank you for filling this chasm of mine especially after completing TLOU2. It's incredibly well written and thought out, so much so that it all links up really nicely. Hope you are doing great and cheers!
3uph0 chapter 16 . 7/22/2020
Hey there, I may be a little late to the party (found this gem of a story only after finishing TLOU2) but just wanted to leave my thanks. Really enjoying it so far, the story is as good as it gets with tension, laughter and heartwarming moments. I know for certain that Tommy's story will stick and there will come a time where I mistake all these as actual events that happened during the gameplay.
silviaysilveri chapter 32 . 7/22/2020
Jesus, this story was absolutely wonderful! The way it is written and even the development of all the characters feels so real that I would believe that this is part of the canon. This fic is a damn masterpiece and deserves all publicity in the world for more people to know.
I read in your profile that you are currently working on a continuation. Honestly, I preferred a prequel to the events of TLOU 2, because the now canon story frankly sounds like a crap to me, except for the flask back.
Guest chapter 14 . 7/13/2020
I've never read stuff like this before and I've never even been on this website, but your writing is literally incredible- thoughts on Part 2? Wis someone with the talent to do so would rewrite it...
Ahsurika chapter 16 . 7/10/2020
Ugh, what a beautiful scene to end this chapter and mark the midway point. I'm loving this story.
Surrealvampi chapter 32 . 6/25/2020
Hi there,

I have just finished reading your series and wanted to say that it is AMAZING. Brilliant written, and excellent story Arc to the whole thing.

Thank you for writing the missing pieces.

Xx
Liam M chapter 32 . 11/5/2019
Thank you so much Astern for writing this story. It has been an absolute blast to read and I think you did all of the characters great justice. To do all this while also studying is amazing! I really hope you have had a stab at some other Last of Us fan fiction because this was awesome and it's been great filling the time while I eagerly anticipate Part 2.

Thank you again and good luck with your future ventures.
Liam chapter 9 . 10/15/2019
Absolutely loving this mate. I heard about it through reddit and so far I've gotten through 9 chapters. I think you capture the characters very accurately and the slow and steady decent into the character Joel is in the game is great. Love your work and it's nicely filling the gap until Part II comes out!
Thanks
Liam
Raaf chapter 32 . 4/12/2019
IT IS COOL LOOK WORK THE LAST OF US 2
Nikkel chapter 32 . 2/9/2019
Damn. It's been so long since I've read or written fanfiction of any kind, but after reading Dirt, I find myself truly inspired. Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication.

Honestly, finding decently-written work is a rare sight in most fanfiction. I felt as if I was reading a novel, exploring the collapse of modern civilization through Tommy's empathetic eyes. Right from the beginning, you could sense the tension between him and Joel; it wasn't going to be an easy journey, but they had to do what they needed to in order to survive. You have a gift for nonverbal communication made it so much more powerful when the brothers actually exchanged words, without drifting from what made these characters who they are. They were painted as polar opposites, and never once did their quarrels feel repetitive or irritating. For each disagreement or shake of the head, you could feel their distance swell. Joel, ever the cynic, retreating into the dark comfort of the brutal and unknown, and Tommy, the romanticist knowing he will never change his mind, but will damn well try.

Dirt is so far from anything else I've read in fanfiction, and it's so refreshing. I normally despise OCs of any kind and find it challenging to read something longer than 10 chapters. I admit I took a break between Baltimore in Boston, but with that epic scene on Christmas Eve, it felt natural. Javier, Judge, Anna, Breslin, Percy & Co., Donnie, Rodger, Max, Bas, and of course, Troy, were all very well-crafted, consistent, and felt as real as any character you could have met in-game. Each of them had their own voice, own goals, and own histories.

Speaking of history, I see why so many other readers consider this story canon. It fits so well with the world Naughty Dog created. I thrived on your descriptions of gritty, urban reality. You didn't hold any punches back when it came to depicting just how savage people become when all hell breaks loose. From boots scraping on pavement, to dank apartment buildings crumbling away, to wet slush on marble floors, we were right there with Tommy holding his breath while creeping past Clickers. We were there from the get-go, actually, huddled in the tent with ears straining to hear news through radio static. Tommy was always the protagonist, and you've given him every reason to reside in Jackson.

At the end, with as many references and other canon characters packed in here, might be why Bill didn't make an appearance. But, that could easily be drawn to A) he's part of Joel's backstory, not Tommy's, or B) there wasn't an opportune moment. As a fellow writer, I totally understand conflicts like these. I'm mostly curious on what your take on him would have been like.

Thank you again for all of your hard work. I mentioned before that it's inspired me, and I'm now working on a longer TLOU fanfiction of my own. I've been on hiatus for far too long from writing anything, really, and Dirt provided the spark for a reawakening. I feel like my review barely touches the surface of what this story actually is, so the most I can do is pass it on with glowing recommendations and favorite it. Many, many thanks to you.