Reviews for Trust and Providence
Amity95 chapter 39 . 5/6
Looking forward to chapter 40 and the next part of this fan fic!
Stephanie chapter 39 . 10/16/2020
So beautiful story! Five years and I still hope this story will be finished. I have imagined the end of this story: M&M have successful firm, new babytwins and love to each other.
TGC chapter 39 . 8/8/2020
I love this! And my selfish cruel mind is saying: ''Make something happen to Edward please. I need Matthew Crawley; Earl of Grantham. Maybe? Perhaps? Please? Just... please. Maybe falls inot the river. Pleaaase.
Grayroc chapter 16 . 6/29/2020
An interesting chapter. You've continued the A/U line and it seems logical. Edith has a son; Mary is planning on moving out of Downton. I'm just a tad surprised she is leaving Downton without more regrets. In the TV series, Mary's attachment to Downton was very strong. This Mary seems more pragmatic with her new role.
Grayroc chapter 15 . 6/11/2020
A very interesting chapter. The men who came back, having survived the horrors of war, seldom talked about it. You've accurately captured Matthew's reluctance to 'talk about it.' Once again compliments on writing the dialogue appropriate to people living in 1915. The word quell, sadly, doesn't get used much anymore.:)
Grayroc chapter 14 . 5/27/2020
A great homecoming for Lt. M. Crawley. Edith married Sir Anthony? Another difference from canon, due to the beating of a butterfly's wings. I always liked Sir Anthony's character, so I'm happy with the change. As to life on the Western Front for the BEF, I highly recommend Peter Jackson's documentary, They Shall Not Grow Old.
Grayroc chapter 13 . 5/14/2020
chapters 12/13. Congratulations for taking a very tense situation and rescuing both Mary and Matthew from chapter 11's great moment of difficulty. Let us hope Matthew can avoid being anywhere near the Somme. Unlikely. We shall see whether Mary's basic nature has changed, once she returns to Downton.
Grayroc chapter 11 . 5/12/2020
I thought I knew where this chapter was headed and was totally wrong footed. I'm not entirely certain about Mary's reaction...afterwards. Trauma is always tricky and the triggers are hardwired into the amygdala. What is certain, is that in the short time they have left before Matthew leaves for training, will be full of angst. Fortunately, Matthew will miss the Battle of Mons.
Grayroc chapter 10 . 5/8/2020
And here we are, WW1, " The lamps are going out all over Europe, we shall not see them lit again in our life-time ".

Matthew like a million other men in Britain, raced to join up to fight the Hun. The concept of cowardice and what was manly ran deep in the culture. It was not uncommon for women to give men, suspected of not doing their duty, a white feather.(there was a group called 'The Order of the White Feather")
Mary's arguments to Matthew about waiting are entirely cogent but wasted. Being Matthew meant he would never wait for conscription, he would volunteer. Good job setting out this conversation.
Grayroc chapter 9 . 5/2/2020
The phrase 'the simmering anger in Mary's chest coiled and uncoiled' is a perfect description of how Mary surrendered to her baser instincts in canon. Sybil's voice raised in defense of Mary's actions was well said but definitely in the minority in 1914. We shall see if Matthew's counsel is heeded. I'm reminded of a quote from Sir Walter Scott. “Revenge, the sweetest morsel to the mouth that ever was cooked in hell.”
Grayroc chapter 8 . 4/30/2020
Interesting chapter. I quite enjoy how solicitous Mary is toward Matthew but also not surprised how irate she was to hear that her mother was pregnant. I'm very curious as to what might happen next. How closely will this follow canon or do you have some plot twists ahead. Now, I must soldier on to chapter 9.
Grayroc chapter 7 . 4/25/2020
You've accurately captured the voice of the times. And even mentioned Rabbie Burns, 'gang aft a gley'. The tension on the violin strings has increased in this chapter. Robert's interview with Carson and Thomas was well done and captured the starched formality of Carson.
Grayroc chapter 6 . 4/22/2020
Matthew is slowly gaining the trust of the Dowager and Robert by his forthright manner. I'm fascinated to see how the 'reveal' might occur about who contacted the Turkish Embassy. I think I know.
Grayroc chapter 5 . 4/18/2020
Intrigue builds up. Who tipped off the 'Turks'? A historical note. In 1914, it was the Ottoman Empire who would send an ambassador to the United Kingdom. The Germans and Britain were extremely eager to have the Ottoman Empire form an alliance with them. The Kemal incident could well be of great significance.
Grayroc chapter 4 . 4/17/2020
An exploration of the uneven power equation that existed in 1914 between women and men. Instead of using Anna's rape to explore this area, you've chosen Mary and now Isobel. She is one of my favorite characters on the show. Tough chapter to write.