Reviews for A Hallmark Holiday
LooksOnTempests chapter 3 . 3/18/2014
Wow. This is incredibly written. I am hooked and eagerly waiting for the next chapters!
Jay Jones chapter 3 . 3/15/2014
Oh, please tell me there's more to come? I'm easily, pleasantly lost in this story; it's so much fun being in Donatello's head, even if it's a sad, tormented head :-) Hopefully Chapter 4 is incubating and ready to be birthed soon.
Jay Jones chapter 1 . 3/15/2014
I like this approach, especially the first-person perspective directly from Donnie - it's a nice change-up, and the tone strikes me as closer to how many of us have experienced at least one Valentine's Day, or any day that was meant to festive and then - just went sour fast. Looking forward to reading the next chapters...
Juanita27 chapter 2 . 3/6/2014
This is masterfully written. Wow. I am hooked. I wish I could leave better feedback, but I am at a loss of words as this is just so beautifully crafted.
BubblyShell22 chapter 3 . 3/3/2014
Awesome chapter. Man, Raph was asking for it though I never expected Don to go off as he did. And now he sees April, which can't be a good thing. Dream or not, what he told Raph is very true. Sometimes you can't let go of someone if you feel so strongly for them. Nicely done on this as always. I'll be eagerly awaiting an update.

The Bubbly One,
Shell
The Nerdfighter chapter 3 . 3/2/2014
Alright, now that I'm nice and comfort at home again, I'll leave my review. :) Your writing never ceases to amaze me, Novus. You have a way with splotching the beauty in your words and the fact that when I read this (not to mention it's on Donnie's point of view) it's almost as if the Ninja Turtles have come to life and I'm reading Donnie's diary or something. I've said this before and I'll say it again, you really know how to write Donatello and I applaud you for that because not a lot of writers (including myself) can write him so well without getting past the techno-babble. lol

The ending shocked me quite a bit. After reading that Raph ran off and Donnie went to go track him down only to find a table set and April emerging onto the rooftop ... I don't know, I'm sensing a bit of drama coming our way? Part of me thinks Raph is seeing April on the side. That's why he's so adamant of getting Donnie to forget about her because he selfishly wants her for himself. But I don't know, I could be wrong. XD It really would stir up some drama, but the rational part of me would really like to see Donnie get himself a happy ending. Who knows? Whatever direction you decide to go in, I'm sure I'll love it either way. XD

Another thing I really liked was how you wrote Splinter; the fact that he has tried on so many occasions to get Raphael to change his attitude, but eventually ... not necessarily gave up, but saw that he was biting off more than he could chew. I see that a lot in how my parents raise us. My sister is the Raphael of our group and is always putting my parents through hell with the way she acts to the point where they kind of just turn the other way when they know she's about to do something bad. I don't approve of it, but then again, what else can they do? Punishing only goes so far to where the child eventually grows used to it and ranting and raving only goes through one ear and out the other. What I think helps is the support of siblings because in Raph's case, it's his siblings that make him feel inferior. Donnie has his brains, Leo's the prodigal son, and Mikey's the baby (nothing bad ever happens to the baby lol). So what does that leave him as? The screw up, which leaves him to trying and find a way of escapse. Something that will dull the pain and make him forget about all the pain and anguish he's put his family through because of the way he is.

Overall, good job once again! Can't wait to read more from you, Novus! :D Catch ya later and update as soon as humanly possible! XD
Terraform chapter 3 . 3/1/2014
An extraordinary chapter and oh, what an ending! Impeccably and so beautifully written. It is a talent that shines strong in you! Amongst my favorite lines is that talking of love, it's restorative and nourishing nature, and of his brothers "it pains me to think they will never find love; that their hearts will be neglected and their virtues unsung". Thanks. Now it will pain me forevermore ;_;. And so many wonderful descriptions (even little things like the pitchy trill of the T-phone), the imagery is amazing, and the characterization and dialogue is just spot on.

This chapter put me through the wringer. There is such an oscillation of emotions running through this...and consequently through me. Where to even start? Donnie's devastating dream highlighting the beginnings of his fracturing relationships with April and Raph? His present day blow-up? The despondency over the love he feels that he and his brothers will never have? Splinter's thread-bare frustrations? Raphael's killer one-liners ("calm down, pop some midol, and get workin'!")? Or is it that gorgeously set table on the roof, waiting to upheave everything he thought was set in stone? Pinenuts to your perfection! I'm completely in awe- and just dying, DYING, for the next chapter because this is not just an evil cliffie, but a base jump from the stratosphere. Spectacular work.

And thank you so much for the kind shout-out, Novus - I'm truly humbled! (the check's in the mail)
NinjaWolf10 chapter 3 . 3/1/2014
Great chapter, can't wait to see the next!
SleepingSeeker chapter 3 . 3/1/2014
Let me start by saying that I really thought the writing in this chapter was great. I liked the flow and the pacing - the way you're unraveling the plot is keeping me guessing and wondering and then at the end, well, I just gasped. Right up until he considered that set table I wasn't thinking anything other than Raph was after that gang member and would he be hurt? Would Donnie find him shot?

So, yes, I was pleasantly, very pleasantly surprised to find myself brought to a clandestine date - I am so excited that you are taking this in that direction - I'm making assumptions and I know I've been wrong before, lol, but I think that there's something going on here between Raph and April...? And that is driving his terrible guilt. Which then lends so much weight to him trying to convince Don to let her go. Not out of selfish reasons, but because he just wanted it over, he didn't want his brother hurt worse than he already was. I believe that's what you were getting at. I think you are writing Raph to be very conflicted, but genuinely loving of his sibling and what his actions may bring.

And now, I'm really interested to see how you will portray April. I wonder how she is handling all of this. Because if there is something going on between her and Raph - then it isn't just Casey that's a potential hurt, here, but Donnie, too. eep!

Donnie lamenting the fact that his brothers will never have someone to adore them for who they are, was really touching and very deep. And I could see Donatello conceptualizing this pain; he is the most aware, intellectually speaking, of the group. In a lot of ways, it makes his situation all the more painful. He knows their individual worth. He feels the reality that much more acutely. And so, if Raph is seeing April, Don will really be impacted by this.

Can I also mention that I love your depiction of Leo in this chapter? Even the description in Don's mind of his 'loyalty and gentle heart' ah, yeah. That's my Leo, LOL And Splinter - heehee - yeah, I feel my skin prickle every time his 'loaded questions' get lobbed at his children. I do have animosity towards the old rat, don't I? I've been in denial of it - even wrote him as very loving in What Makes a Father, but yeah, I did feel myself get p*ssed in a few instances in this chapter and he wasn't even in it that much, LOL!

I am so loving this story! I can't wait to read more! And thank you for the shout out XD I will also have to read TF's story - I look forward to that as well!
Enimul chapter 2 . 2/17/2014
I really adore how Donnie and Mikey played off each other in this chapter. Donnie used his logic and cleverness to calm Mikey down and Mikey used his empathy to do the same to Donnie. It was perfect and in character for both of them. Poor Mikey, though, it feels wrong to see him so timid. He's always so bright and happy and seeing him of all the turtles act like that, you know just how bad things are. Poor the whole Hamato Clan, really. Everyone is being affected.

That bit describing what happened with Donnie and April made my heart hurt like nothing else. You're really good at giving Don-related pain. I really hope he gets an explanation for that at some point. I just really can't see April doing that sort of thing without some reason, but after so long I don't know...either way, I suppose I don't know anything about this particular April, so I'll have to wait and see. And then how Raph - at least I'm assuming it's Raph because I don't think you ever technically say it's him? - reacts to learning that his little brother was stood up is a painful and beautiful contrast to how he's acting now. That, and everything else was really amazing.

...And just because I can - WOW!

Thank you so much for writing this!
Enimul chapter 1 . 2/17/2014
Sorry for the belated review. I think I've finally collected enough words to give this a proper one. Even when I'm not speechless I find it hard to make a coherent review of your work, it seems.

You have an incredible way of making the smallest things have the biggest impact. Every sentence in this is meaningful, every word in this makes my heart ache for Donnie. Clearly he's been through some rough times but he's still standing and trying to help his brothers how he can, how he thinks is best. The whole family is going through some major turmoil and you portray how it affects each of them amazingly. You put us into the world of this story so neatly that we have many questions but just enough answers to tide us over until the next update. Does that make any sense? Anyway, it's brilliant, and I look forward to more!

Thank you so much for writing this!
BubblyShell22 chapter 2 . 2/15/2014
Happy belated Valentine's Day, Novus. Sorry I didn't review yesterday, but I didn't get time to do so. I hope your Valentine's Day was good. Mine was okay, though I wish I could see my BF. Not sure when we'll get together until the weather clears up. I so hate snow.

Anyway, this chapter was great. I loved the talk between Mikey and Don here and agree that April owes him an explanation as to why she stood him up. That shouldn't have happened, and she needs to come clean. She owes Don that at least, though it'll be up to Don to confront her, and I don't think he wants to for fear of what her reasoning would be. That's why he's chosen to ignore it. However, I have a feeling he'll get the courage to do it, and I hope that comes to pass. Nicely done on this. I'll be eagerly awaiting an update.

The Bubbly One,
Shell
Terraform chapter 2 . 2/15/2014
You have written a beautiful Mikey to boot- intuitive and extremely perceptive but still bubbling with the kind of infectious positivity that Don so desperately needs - the Valentine's date implosion having long reaching effects. The heartache! Having been so hopeful, so prepared and then stood up! April, you foolish girl.

There are so many sweet moment in this chapter - Raph's incense at Don's treatment by April; Mikey's concern for both Donnie, and his drunkard brother; and Don's ability to, in turn, comfort Mikey. And amongst the sweet moments, Donnie's laser like clarity at his situation, him internal musing so indicative of not only Raphael's but his own battered spirit. You have a way with words that nothing short of enviable. Brilliant work, Novus. I cannot wait for more!

Ah, Don. May your chocolate silk pie never be taken for granted again. Dish and all. :)
The Nerdfighter chapter 2 . 2/15/2014
Jesus Christ, you AND Seeker making poor Donnie go through such horrifically depressing situations. I just want to scoop the poor guy up and write him a cutesy lovey dovey one-shot, which I would've had posted today but went out with the girls instead. One day, Donnie. You deserve to get the girl. lmao

The whole description of April standing Donnie up and all the hard work and little details he put into their special night ... goddamn, dude you seriously managed to get me to tear up a bit. And then you had to mention that the whole trauma of being stood up was enough to make Donnie CRY. I lost it. I completely lost it, hence the reason why I just want to rush to my laptop and write him a fluffy one-shot just so he can feel loved. The poor guy suffers way too much and I think it's giving me an ulcer seeing him go through all this drama and angst. But I can't help but love it! XD lmao

Great job as always, Novus. :) Can't wait to read more and I'll be sure to keep a look out next coming Friday. Happy Valentine's Day and stay awesome! :D

- The Nerdfighter
Dominosowner chapter 2 . 2/14/2014
I must say, you've got me totally hooked on your story! You're a great writer, and you really bring the character's personalities to life - They are written as they should be. Great job!
55 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 Next »