Reviews for The Cauldron
stcobb chapter 20 . 2/21/2003
Excellent work so far. Interesting story and premise. A side suggestion, pick up The Pendragon Cycle by Stephen Lawhead. A really good set of books about the Arthur story from a historical fiction perspective.
L.E. Lamkin chapter 17 . 1/25/2003
Okay...I know it's been awhile since I last read this story...but how is Suzi a Slayer? I thought she was like a Slayer in Training, or something. Is it possible for her to actually be a Slayer? Or when Spike called her a "bloody Slayer" was he kind of meaning that in a broad sense? This confused me a little, 'cause as far as I know, Faith has to die in order for a new Slayer to be created. A minor flaw, but a flaw nonetheless. Overall, I really enjoyed this chapter, it was short and sweet. The banter between Spike and Suzi was cool and fast-paced, and the Riley scene was somewhat amusing. Waiting for this story to kick into gear like I know it's going to.
The Gramarye chapter 2 . 1/21/2003
YES! It's nice to see that someone else misses Jenny Calendar enough to bring her back, and has brought in the Otherworld as a story element. Though I've only gone a few chapters beyond this one, and I haven't seen her come back again yet. Bringing in the Cycle characters was creative, and much more in tune with the original spirit of the show than with the last few seasons. Your dialogue flows fairly naturally, though the UK markings are distinct in places (not a problem for Rupert, Spike, and several other characters on the show, of course).

My only suggestion, if you haven't done this yet, is to re-read your own story from start to finish and note any loose ends that you might have planted and forgotten, and finish them off. Maybe you've already done this, since I'm only on ch. 8, but you've got a lot started here. All in all, a well-crafted fic that is a welcome relief from the run-of-the-mill 'shippiness one sees too often here.

OLD SCHOOL BUFFY FOREVER!
Fleisch chapter 16 . 1/20/2003
Just to let you know that L.E. Lamkin isn't the only one reading this. I'd like to know what happens!
L.E. Lamkin chapter 16 . 11/30/2002
Wow! So much detail...you really seem to know your stuff! All the legends and stuff they were talking about sounded so cool and it came off sounding very realistic (if it was made up, which I'm not sure of). The professor was a neat little character and very helpful! So are they going to go in search of that stone? I wonder who will be the purest...Xander, perhaps? Seems like the likely choice. He's such a hapless character, but he always ends up in this huge larger-than-life situations, then overcoming them. So I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen. Riley would be too predictable, and Spike...well, don't even get me started. LOL. Anyway, this story is moving along very nicely, and it feels like we've got some good new directions that the characters will be going in. I just wonder, though - who the heck is following Riley et al? Maybe some Council members? Hmmmm...Well, bring on the next little batch of chapters ASAP, as I am very anxious to find out what happens! As always, great work.
L.E. Lamkin chapter 15 . 11/30/2002
GASP! Where'd Willow and Tara go? Well, Duncan, this was a good - but very short - chapter, and I enjoyed it. It flowed pretty well, but some of the quips seemed a bit overstretched. I enjoy them, but sometimes they're used a bit too much. Other than that, you're writing this story quite superbly if I say so myself. I enjoyed the Giles/Buffy scene, as well as the scene at the bar. Very nicely written out dialogue. Well, let's keep up the good action, and start figuring some things out! I can tell you're really trying to stretch this out, but a few good tips for them to follow might not be such a bad idea. Anyway, I am still liking this story - a LOT. So please, keep those chapters comin'!
L.E. Lamkin chapter 14 . 11/21/2002
LOL! Suzi's got spunk. I like her. She's kinda like Buffy. Very cool. I liked Liz, too, she'd probably be a cool love-type interest for Giles...kinda reminds me of Jenny...which leads me to once again wonder just how ol' Miss Calendar is making with the reappearances back in SunnyD! You need to explain that soon! It looks like things are starting to kick into gear over in the UK, can't wait to see what happens. And I can sense some chemistry between Spike and Suzi...wonder what you could be cookin' up with them! She's definitely not gonna take any crap from him, and I think that's always been a sort of turn-on for Spike. Now let's see what's going on back in Sunnydale...I'm starting to miss Buffy! LOL. As always, great job. I'm totally loving your story, and even your new characters are cool. Keep it up, and update again soon!
L.E. Lamkin chapter 13 . 11/21/2002
Uh-oh! Me smells trouble! Although this was a fairly short chapter, I still liked it. I thought the little inclusion of another agent worked well, and I wonder what Riley is hiding away in that little suitcase of his. And Xander was funny as usual, though I could have done with some more bantering between him and Spike. That's always fun to watch (read). I'm anxious to find out what's going to happen over in Jolly Old England (forgive me, but I had to...LOL) and just who those two women were. And do I have to mention one more time - where the heck is Dawn? I almost get the feeling you're writing her out of the story 'cause you don't like the character much. LOL. I guess that's allowable, but...gee, I just kinda wonder what the squirt's up to. LOL. Anyway, you're doing such a great job, some excuses can be made for it. Keep up the good work, Duncan!
fastpilot chapter 14 . 11/18/2002
I love Suzi. I love Spike's reaction to Suzi.

Wondering the answer to Giles question to Riley is different in this story than in the canon Buffyverse.

Looking forward to more.
L.E. Lamkin chapter 12 . 11/11/2002
Good good good. And did I mention good? This was just as well-written as all the other chapters. Liked the Xander/Anya scene, and HAHA, Spike has to ride in a coffin. Tee-hee. Willow and Tara's scene was cute and sweet and just like how it was with them on the show. I think you write Willow very well, and her dialogue is spot-on. I can't wait to find out what kind of stuff the guys are gonna have to go through in England to get the Grail. One thing I found to be odd: If Willow, Tara and Anya were in Giles' backseat, how come they didn't say anything? Didn't Giles drive a little convertable? It was almost like it was just Buffy and Giles there. My only complaint was that if they were there, there should have been some dialogue with them or something. Otherwise, they're just taking up space. Just a thought. I still think this story is great, and I could totally imagine it as a real Buffy novel. Keep up the good work and PLEASE update again soon.
L.E. Lamkin chapter 11 . 11/11/2002
Oooo! This was a good chapter. So, Riley, Xander and Spike are headed out for an expedition. Can't wait! Loved the dialogue between all the characters. Anya wanting to market the Holy Grail was priceless, and very much like Anya. It's amazing how much in-character you're keep all these people. It's really great to read such high-quality Buffy fiction. Besides a few barely noticeable spelling errors, this chapter was just about perfect. Can't wait to see the next one. Keep on working on this, I really really want to see how it all ends! And when the heck are we gonna catch back up with Dawn? I'm really starting to wonder what's up with her. Anyway, this is going extremely well, as I've said many times before, but I think reiterating it is fun. Heheh. So yeah, on to the next chapter I go...
L.E. Lamkin chapter 10 . 11/6/2002
Well, this was a good chapter. Great interactions between all the characters. I can't wait to find out what's going on with Dawn. The whole religion/faith thing was a bit stretched and I'm not sure how comfortable I was with its inclusion. Buffy (as in the show) seems to try hard to stay away from making clear observations about the presence of actual religious beings and whatnot. It just doesn't focus on that kind of stuff, simply so as not to step on anyone's toes in the process. However, for the sake of your story I think it fit well enough. I still think you're doing a great job moving this story along, and I can't wait to read more!
L.E. Lamkin chapter 9 . 11/4/2002
Well...this is certainly getting weird. Is some sort of magick at hand? I'm really confused, but in a good way. I'm in suspense! I can't wait to find out what's going to happen, and just what is going on that is allowing Giles to...well, er...EXPERIENCE...Jenny once more. LOL. Somethin' mysterious is definitely going on though, and I'm lovin' it! I'm anxious to find out where Dawn's gone off to. Keep up the good work, Duncan! You are an awesome Buffy writer. Ever considered trying to become a professional Buffy novelist? This would definitely be a great addition to their series of books. Just a thought, hehe. On to the next chapter!
L.E. Lamkin chapter 8 . 11/3/2002
Okay. I'm having some issues with this chapter. I really liked it, and your descriptions of the fight sequences are as great as ever, and very reminiscent of the real show - EXCEPT. I'm sensing some continuity issues. Okay, I know this is taking place near the beginning of Season Five. Is this BEFORE Buffy knows Spike is jonesing for her? Because you said he was still with Harmony, and she split Sunnydale by episode, what? Like before even Episode 8, or so right? So you're like, REALLY early on. So I'm confused as to why Spike and Buffy seem as buddy-buddy as they are. Wasn't spike still demanding money for stuff at that point and whatnot, and Buffy basically detested him? I guess you've got it all okay, but it just seemed weird. And Spike seemed a bit too clingy to Buffy, especially waiting at the hospital with her and caring so much for Dawn. I dunno, maybe I'm crazy. LOL. Either way, I can't wait to see what happens.
L.E. Lamkin chapter 7 . 11/3/2002
Ooo! Cool spells. It was very much like stuff on the show. I could totally imagine Willow doing those incantations. And the whole scene was just plain cool, with them frantically trying to find stuff for a spell, and Willow babbling uncontrollably (I miss those days...lol). You write the characters so wonderfully, you make me jealous! LOL. This story is moving along quite nicely. I just need to know what's going on and I'll feel better! :)