Reviews for The Best Valentine's Day
Loved it
paz chapter 1 . 10/29/2016
Lovely
Shebvixen chapter 1 . 7/18/2014
That was adorable, I love well written fluff!
teedub chapter 1 . 6/10/2014
i love kreature admonishing the two boys and their caterwauling ;-)
sarahsezlove chapter 1 . 2/22/2014
Very sweet.
littlebluebell chapter 1 . 2/21/2014
This story is so sweet and fluffy, just perfect for Valentine's Day. Or any day really, it's so good.

I liked it a lot and I am surprised to see that it doesn't have more reviews than this.

I see you have 17 favs but only 10 reviews. I think it's incredibly bad manners to fav a story but not review it as well. So come on people, leave a review, it's only a few words and you make the hardworking writer very happy.

So once again, great story and I faved AND reviewed! Looking forward to more good stories like this one.
Pink Bead Girl chapter 1 . 2/21/2014
What a lovely story you have delivered yet again. Of course this is no surprise, lovely stories is what you do best dear Yengirl, whether you write for HP or VK - (Ah, sweet VK, those were the days! ) Oh pardon me, daydreaming again. Ahem where was I? Oh yes, HP loveliness, lol.

Seriously though, I really liked this a lot. I found the more mature Professor Potter quite engaging. I thought it quite clever in such a subtle way that you made me feel I was seeing an "echo" of Severus via Harry in the opening lines. Describing Harry's dislike for overdone pinkness and schmaltzy trimmings of overblown romance was done in such a way, that the reader could have easily inserted Severus' name there instead. I thought you wrote it really well with that slight twist.

I also enjoyed the little back story synopsis of previous events regarding Severus' misfortunes in the Shrieking Shack and his salvation via Fawke's restorative tears. You're very, very good at fitting a lot of information into a short paragraph or two and it was very helpful to someone like me who has a rather sketchy knowledge of the HP universe.

Writing a good precis of events is hard at the best of times and here you are dear Yengirl, blithely scattering precise but compact information packages with the greatest of ease. Yet another literary skill of yours, another feather in your writer's cap as if there weren't enough of them there already. Sigh. When I grow up, I want to be writing half as well as you do dear Yengirl!

I enjoyed the way you documented Harry's somewhat strained slide down the slippery slope of pink and breathless romance with the females of the species. Not for him then, young ladies, it would seem.

Bitterness, humiliation, letdown and reality - I like the words you chose and the logical plan you followed, it was just a perfect pathway and I can't put it any better than that. So Yengirl, so good.

Amusing how neither gentleman would admit to being hungry when they met at the kitchen door. Stubborn to the last both of them. One could get by I suppose on a glass of hot milk and honey, a la Mr Potter but a glass of honey and lemon would have the appetite piqued and the stomach growling like a racing car, so I think Severus made a choice he could regret should he have actually imbibed said concoction.

I am not sure whether the fruit tickling scene is actually in canon or not but nevertheless I found it very cute. The very idea of a plate of painted fruit gamboling about in breathless mirth and play fighting is very sweet indeed and I enjoyed visualizing it as I read. Fancy a little nectarine having the strength to heave a bunch of bananas over the side!

I felt a bit sorry for the house-elves though, firstly having their sensitive ears a bit abraded by all that fruit inspired hilarity and secondly by having their dinners interrupted by the two gentlemen. It was nice to read how such an intrusion didn't upset them too much, instead they all displayed stellar manners that many others would do well to emulate. I liked the desire to please a favourite such as Harry appears to be to the house-elves.

Having Harry and Severus at a pretty pink Valentine's table after all was very nice. It wasn't overdone in any way, just adding a sweet touch to a very sweet holiday. I am glad that both gents were able to cope as they had their delicious sounding dinner.

I just love the description you give as they eat their dessert of how Snape's eyes are reflecting the tiny images of the candle flames as Harry looks very earnestly at him. I just find this so romantic!

And I also love the tentative looks, the clearing of throats, the quivering uncertainties, the faint but deliberate touch of hand to sleeve. These are the things you write so very, very well. That frailty of the human condition, the hesitations and uncertainties that bedevil us all. You capture emotion like no other writer here on fanfiction, anywhere. You work your magic at the keyboard and hold it forth like the prized thing it surely is, emotion - raw, pure and simple - and that's what makes your writing just shine above the rest.

And I just adored your ending - perfect!

What with the discovery of two minds thinking alike, the wonderful carnival atmosphere of the applauding house elves and that sweet first kiss - I was just running in little mental circles going Yay! That's the way to go! (And this from me who has not read beyond the first three Potter books - you truly are a wizarding wonder yourself!)

I am really glad you stopped the story right there at that point. The masterful second kiss given by Harry was just so right, it made us all glad for them and then some. This particular story of yours was so well described that no further foray into their love lives was needed. You spelled it out so wonderfully how they felt about each other, that leaving us to wonder what would happen next in their own private world was just right.

You made me smile and feel very mellow and romantic. Sitting in a lovely pink fog is just the nicest state of mind one could be left in. And your particular style of "pink fog" is just the best there is dear Yen. Thank you once again for the pleasure of a splendid read.
Amber Esme Hermione chapter 1 . 2/18/2014
That was simply adorable!

Because Harry has seen Severus in his adolescence he has a unique perspective that takes the years away showing a different time. Period. It balances them In a way.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/15/2014
It's not a bad story and I like bit's of it so please keep at it !

The Crimson Mage.
Schattengestalt chapter 1 . 2/17/2014
Lovely!*big smile*

I loved your Valentines Days story and I didnt find Severus OOC, if I take into consideration that the reasons why he has changed so much are very understandable.*smiles*
And it also was a nice change that Severus wasnt so snarky (although I love his sharp comments) and behaved more friendly towards Harry.

Ah, I completely understand why Harry doesnt like Valentines Days.*pats his shoulder*
He has made a lot of bad experiences during his years at Hogwarts (and sadly even before that time*glares at the Dursleys*) and I understand that he fears that every Valentines Day will turn out as badly as the once before that one.*sighs quietly*
At least, Harry knows that his chocolates will probably be laced with some love potion, so that he doesnt eat them.

I loved the romantic dinner the house elves prepared for Harry and Severus.*smiles at them*
They are lucky that the house elves forgave them that they interrupted their dinner.
And the dishes sounded so delicious.*licks her lips and sighs longingly*

But the best part was, when you showed us Severus vulnerable side.*winks at the glaring Potions Master*
My heart broke for him, although I was sure that Harry didnt reject his friendship, but was only disappointed because he wanted something else (its a Valentines Days story, after all), but it made me realize again how often Severus was disappointed in his life and that its easy to hurt him.*sniffs and is glared at again by the Potions Master*
Im glad that Harry told Severus about his feelings and that they both had a wonderful Valentines Day.*claps together with the house elves*

I would love to read a sequel to this story.*winks*

So long!)

Schattengestalt
KneazleGriff chapter 1 . 2/15/2014
This story was so endearing!

The interaction between a more mature Harry and milder and more emotionally available Severus is adorable. I loved the pear-tickling moment... the fact that it only really happened because Severus wanted to see Harry's reaction to it makes it that much sweeter. And Harry's realization that the man beside him in the kitchens was reminiscent of the younger more vulnerable Severus from the pensieve memories is precious. I liked that Harry reaches out to Sev and touches him twice – the first time just to administer comfort, the second out of desperation for Severus to stay, for him to understand what he was only just beginning to understand himself.

*Sigh* So lovely. I do kind of wish there was a sequel to this, though. How can I not wonder what happens next after reading this charming set up to love? Maybe you'll consider a part two? :)

Well, regardless, well done. I greatly enjoyed reading it! Thanks for a delightful Valentine's story.

wingedthing chapter 1 . 2/15/2014
*grins* a Fluffy Snarry wasn't something that immediately filled me with hope, as OOC or AU pairings can be so difficult to get right, but you somehow managed to pull it off without destroying the integrity of JK's characters. Firstly I liked how you explained Snape's presence in the first place with a logical circumstance. Secondly, I loved your language choices, including phrases like 'out the cauldron into the fire', and selection of less common words, such as trepidation, pivotal and irreverently. Lastly, I liked the extra details you added, such as Winky's outfit and the nonsense with all the fruit giggling, instead of just the pear. All in all your story left me smiling in a fluffy, rose-scented way.

Also, if you enjoy writing Harry Potter fan fiction, you might be interested in online roleplay games based on JK's books. I write at one called Sonora Academy. It's good fun and an excellent outlet for creativity. Plus our community is very friendly and I'm sure you'll find it enjoyable. If you have a chance, check out the link on my profile or Google Sonora magic. We'd love to have a writer like yourself on board.

xx wingedthing xx
patolozka chapter 1 . 2/15/2014
Oh, this was completely your idea, YenGirl, and Im really glad that you realized it;-) I like your gentle humor and teasing when it comes to both of them;-) Your elfs and wonderful too and Kreacher has his own role in this story, very special;-)
Thank you for your pleasant story!
mengtoreality chapter 1 . 2/15/2014
Awwwwwwwww!
Sheankelor chapter 1 . 2/14/2014
Oh! It is fluffy! It is cute! It is cuddly and warm and snuggly and and and... all those other wonderful words. *beams happily, smile stretched from ear to ear*

Harry should have know better that to go to Hogsmeade on Valentine's Day, honestly! No wonder after a day like that he opted to avoid the Great Hall.

Then he and Severus were both trying to avoid letting the other know that they were just trying to not join in the hoopla upstairs so opted to get a bite in the kitchen. *shakes her head at both of them*

Harry's musings...oh, that was just... *sighs* .. just so sad but at the same time fits in so well. I do like how you described his double date, and then how the Weasleys were upset. I do hope that they accept this and move on with Harry still in their midst.

I have to say you wrote the house elves wonderfully. I've always had problems with Kretcher, but I like your version of him. And no the poor boys couldn't escape Valentine's day décor, but I have a feeling that the elves were much more subdued and elegant. And then the ear droops when Kretcher told the couples to return to their meals... perfect Ladio. And even more so when it was Kretcher who personally served them. But I will have to say I loved the standing ovation at the end. Severus' comment was spot on, but Harry's reply made me laugh happily.

Thank you so much for listening to me order and fuss at you to get this done. It was well worth it. Very worth it.
Ree