Reviews for The Bright Sunset
PSW chapter 1 . 10/6
Of a wonder, it sounds wise to me after all.

Um...this was just incredible. I don't really even know what else to say, other than that the reassurance of gift and the call of the music of the beginning of time have such real-world applications. To go when we are called, not after or before. Such a joyful mystery.

The part in Akallabeth where it told of the first king who forced himself to live on beyond his appointed time was, I always felt, one of the saddest ...

Thanks so much for this story.
Rusjel chapter 1 . 5/9
Thank you for a sensitive blending of the canon with some great ideas of your own
zoloko chapter 1 . 10/11/2014
Fantastic re-imagining.
CarsonandMrs.Hughes4ever chapter 1 . 7/1/2014
Good one.
Guest chapter 1 . 4/10/2014
Tragic and hopeful. Guh. You have a powerful gift for effective use of allusion and imagery.
Guest chapter 1 . 3/21/2014
I can't tell you how long it's been since a story caught me in such an unexpected way. I was reading along and suddenly I couldn't see the screen from the tears in my eyes. So lovely. So moving.
the ticking clock chapter 1 . 3/15/2014
Heartbreaking and wonderful and raw...amazing. I am having trouble forming words after this. Beautifully done!
Adelah chapter 1 . 2/27/2014
Estel, Estel! Oh, man, I am bawling right now. Bf thinks I'm crazy... How did you do this to me?
Harper chapter 1 . 2/21/2014
Exceptional story and exceptional writing. Completely. I was very much taken aback (in a good way) at where this took me and the visual and deep way it carried me along. You nailed the emotion. It made this read so tragic and yet somehow hopeful and peaceful. I was a little fearful to read this one, because Aragorn's parting is, well...Aragorn's parting, but it was highly recommended by a friend. And this, this was such a touching rendition of it. Lovely in every way.

Two quick specifics that stood out to me. Firstly, I loved the portrayal of Legolas building a ship, and then being drawn or directed to Aragorn before he parted. Picturing it this way, and the way you portrayed their farewell is my head-canon now. Secondly, I especially liked the words of Gilraen's when she said "wise it seems to be afterall" when she was talking about the music. It was just very touching to me. I got this picture of her and all she'd been through, and how many times she must have doubted all that she had to do and sacrifice for her son and people. It just stood out to me and I liked the way you introduced that and portrayed it.

Once again, a truly exceptional fic. Thank you.
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 2/18/2014
I just loved this beautiful bittersweet story.A well deserved Teitho winner that that my first place well written. Hope to read many more Aragorn stories from your pen.
sodakey chapter 1 . 2/17/2014
One of the more poignant stories I've read in a while. Thank you.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/17/2014
Very moving story. I cried. That doesn't happen often for me. That moment between Aragorn and Legolas. And then that moment between Aragorn and Eldarion...

Will go look up Holocene now.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/16/2014
Gah... totally gutted. Amazingly well done. Painful but wonderful, and totally beautiful.
Teapot of transformation chapter 1 . 2/16/2014
good story.
iiiionly chapter 1 . 2/16/2014
I've had to sit here for a few moments, and let the tears gently ebb before I could even see to write. This is the most beautiful Aragorn farewell story I've read and a simply spectacular use of the Teitho challenge - Shadow. Such achingly sweet sorrow portrayed here, such beautiful clarity of vision recorded for each of the persons involved in this hauntingly crafted dénouement.

I must go find Holocene and listen to the muse that created the space for you to write this. I'm not a fan of death fics, but I've never seen these Aragorn parting stories as death fics, especially when the author imbues the story with the sense that his journey is not ending here, but moving on to whatever comes next. As you have done so incredibly well here. There are not superlatives enough in my vocabulary to tell you how this particular story moved me.

These kinds of stories have nudged at my personal understanding, and perhaps acceptance, of the ending of my real life journey, giving me an entirely different perspective than I grew up with in a staunchly fundamentalist home. I don't mean to disparage my familial home, it was a wonderful place, but very dogmatic in instilling religious beliefs. There have been many opportunities to stretch and grow in my life, but the gift of fan fiction has allowed me to stretch beyond absolutes into the realm of an acceptance of the unknown, that I was unable to embrace in my youth.

I am so grateful for authors like you who can share these things in such expressive prose that it reaches deep into my heart, grabs me and just takes me away. Thank you for the gift of this story.