Reviews for The Scruff Factor
anna chapter 1 . 10/16/2002
Anna: nice story, i liked it! i had my doubts when i read the summary, but not surprisingly your good writing prevailed...

Voice of the Inner Dark Leaf Addict (VIDLA): i check for an update, see at one glance that theres something different, think it must be the long-awaited dark-leaf-update, but no! its a new story! whats going on here?

Anna: shut up. anyway, its amazing how nicely the characters are portrayed with a few sentences...

VIDLA: WHY IS SHE WAISTING HER TIME WITH THIS?

Anna: Hello? Im trying to do a review here! now that ive had a glance of it, i think id really like to read something about aragorns growing-up in imladris, especially about his relationship with his step-brothers...

VIDLA: WHO CARES? we have a mortally wounded and traumatized elven prince who has to be dealt with! ive been waiting for months!

Anna: (locks VIDLA in the basement, throws away the key)

Anna: well, since everybody already commented on the "butter-knife-scene"...

VIDLA (breaks down basement door, kills anna, takes over the world of fanfiction, forces jastaelf to keep writing until "dark leaf" is finished... after, say, 20 chapters?)

...sorry...;-)
jenolas chapter 1 . 10/15/2002
What a wonderful tale. So deliciously lighthearted. (Personally, I find the 'scruffy' look very appealing. At least it is on Aragorn).

Don't thoses elves have a wicked sense of humour!
Soledad chapter 1 . 10/15/2002
It's hilarious! And you have Lindir in it! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I find the twins relly funny. And Aragorn fearing that the hobbits would gobble up all the food. Yay! I think I'd need a long time to get the mental image of Legoals sitting with Gollum on the treetop and singing to the stars out of my head. :))

This goes straight to my favourites list.
Arabella Thorne chapter 1 . 10/15/2002
A great angle to approach a tale...very funny and entertaining and the meal at the end was priceless...very good!
The Evil Old Woman chapter 1 . 10/14/2002
Hey, did anyone else notice how the movie-Aragorn's chin stubble was growing in blonde? Was it hair dye, or was he even grubbier than your fic suggests?

Great fic, both funny and totally true.

So now you've finished it, and posted it, AND YOU'VE GOT THE TIME TO FINISH THE NEXT CHAPTER OF "DARK LEAF"! Please? Because my adorable little silver tabby begs alongside me?
Guest chapter 1 . 10/14/2002
very, very cute! continue!
Wistful chapter 1 . 10/14/2002
Just a quick question about the following line which, I assume, is a reference to "Dark Leaf":

"...the youngest Prince of Mirkwood, had a powerful dislike of caves-and for that matter, enclosed

spaces-that was very well known to the sons of Elrond, though they did not perhaps understand all the whys and

wherefores of it."

Does this indicate that the sons of Elrond never really found out just WHAT happened to poor Legolas while he was the unwilling fosterling of the Nazgul? Just curious. Maybe the gory details were not circulated to anyone who didn't have a real need to know. I know they helped to rescue him, but maybe Elrond never told his sons what he saw and felt in the mind of Legolas.
Hagar the horrible chapter 1 . 10/14/2002
Pretty good. Definitely humerous and well written. Still waiting for more chapters under Dark Leaf(Hint Hint). ;)
DagmarJung chapter 1 . 10/14/2002
I have to make the following statement:

1. I do have good table manners. Indeed is it impossible to be raised by Lord Elrond and not to learn how to behave well in every given situation.

Furthermore, I intend to marry Lord Elrond's daughter and I know better than to upset him or any member of his household by lack of manners or - Valar forbid - of cleanlyness.

2. My facial hair is called a short, neatly trimmed beard, not stubbles. I like it that way, because it enhances my manly appearance. Besides, a short beard is easy to keep neat and tidy under outdoor conditions and is also perfectly fit for more formal occasions. And it proves useful to remind all those elves that I am not anymore a little boy.

Admittedly, this does not work as well with my foster brothers.

3. I do wash my hair. If it appeares damp sometimes, this is due to the weather conditions in late autumn and winter, and to some sportive activities like running and Nazgul fighting or troll slaying. Mind you: there is a difference between damp and greasy.

4. The same goes for bathing. I do enjoy a bath in the hot tub very much (as the Ladies at Henneth Annun will tell you), but my daily work as a ranger tends to limit time and opportunities for extended body care. However, if I can, taking a bath is the first thing I do.

5. And I know about the use of soap, too.

6. When I leave Rivendell, I do not roll on a dead squirrel "to feel myself again" as someone suggested.

Yours sincerely,

Estel Aragorn Son of Arathorn, still not King

- "Can I have my keyboard back now, Strider? Thank you so much. Hello, Jastaelf!

Speaking about grubby men: This Saturday I had to spend hours close to a guy who smelled like a dead rat. Unfortunately I did not know him well enough to just tell him to go and wash himself, and so I had to endure silently. Reading your fic on Monday morning made my day. I'm looking forward to the part when they will finally make Aragorn bathe.

Dagmar
LOTRlover chapter 1 . 10/14/2002
Heh, heh, heh. This is such a good beginning. Can't wait for further developments.
fliewatuet chapter 1 . 10/14/2002
There are lots of Force-Aragorn-To-Take-A-Bath stories out there, but yours has by far the most promising start (not that I have read any of them, going over the first few lines usually let me hit the BACK-button). But this one, ... Can't wait to read more about Elves sneaking up my favorite Ranger, will there be more butter-knive attacks? The parently remarks concerning Aragorn's dinner-table manners given by Elladan and Elrohir are just priceless! 'Swallow, then speak!' Sounds familiar I also love the idea of Cirdan supplying Rivendell with rare food and wine, nice detail.
Mal3m chapter 1 . 10/14/2002
i love this so far! i like how you keep your writing nice and flowing while at the same time adding in funny lines all over the place,i especially like the butter knife incident :) im am eagerly looking forward to the next chapter!
Witzend chapter 1 . 10/14/2002
Delighted! While I anxiously await a new chapter of Dark Leaf, I appreciate this light and frothy offering (and the subtle reference to Dark Leaf therein. Poor Legolas! At least he enjoys tripping about and singing again and Elladin and Elrohir are rats to refer to it all in such a manner-but we all love them anyway).

I am giggling especially because there have been a few occasions when I have been forced to spend time in the company of the hygienically challenged and have had to embrace and endure their company while being polite about the assault on my nose all the while. I can sympathize. After spending the last few weeks at a Renfair, this story has so much meaning for me...
TreeHugger chapter 1 . 10/14/2002
AH! You can write something with no torture and angst and pain...unless you consider sitting at table with Aragorn in his present condition torture and pain...Hm...well, okay you TRIED not to write torture and pain. :) LOL

Aragorn Strider Estel Elrondion had a "legitimate" reason for brushing off his bath. I don't blame him for fearing that the Hobbits would eat everything in sight...but REALLY Man!

I really like Lindir, trying to be tactful and talking a mile a minute - and doing it elegantly. But he is a minstrel and has a way with words. Unfortunately they seem to have fallen on deaf ears...or perhaps Aragorn Strider Estel Elrondion just has very DIRTY ears and can't hear properly. I would be horrified at the concept of Aragron sitting down to table with the family too. YIKES!

I like Elrohir teasing Aragorn about Arwen catching him off guard. The twins are so much fun, aren't they!

Gollum with flowers in his hair and dancing in the sunshine with Elven maidens...nice picture in my head about that one! I can just see it! ROFL Hmmm...Legolas and Gollum sitting in a tree - S-I-N-G-I-N-G! Another hilarious picture!

Aragorn has been gone a long time, hasn't he? Talking with his mouth full! How uncouth of the future king! LOL

Not Dorwinion? Too bad! ;)We'll see what we can do about that!

I can just see him sitting there shoveling the food in..."Eat more slowly, child" indeed!

Oh, Jasta! This is too great! Good way to start a Monday morning! Thanks so much for the laughs! I can't wait to see what else is going to transpire... or perspire! ICK! ROFL You are amazing, nin mellon!

Elenath sila erin le!
Irena chapter 1 . 10/14/2002
Once again, my love, you show how wonderful and great your talent is.

I love your work, always.

*checks watch*

And chapter 13 of Dark Leaf is where?
526 | « Prev Page 1 .. 24 31 32 33 34 35 .. Last Next »