Reviews for A Good Speech
Rookblonkorules chapter 1 . 7/1/2016
That was nicely written. I like how you paced everything slowly. It made it easier to absorb everything.
Fandomrules16 chapter 1 . 6/9/2016
Ah! This scene really bothered me in the series. I mean how could Arthur remain so indifferent to Merlin's collapse. But you did a beautiful piece explaining his actions and his thoughts. Another beautiful piece of work by you that cannot be described by my humble words :)
NeckerchiefsAreCool chapter 1 . 12/29/2014
When I was watching this episode, Arthur's reaction in the banquet scene was one that really bothered bothered me. I understood their decision for Arthur to roll his eyes - timing, comedic value, realism in station - but it still bothered me that, not only did Arthur not ensure that Merlin was alright, but later he ignored the situation altogether! I thought it spoke poorly of the place Merlin had in his life, and I'm so glad in reading this that all of those issues are addressed and rectified. Arthur does have responsibilities as regent that do not allow him to show such concern publicly, but this was how I imagine he would have cared for Merlin. Subtly, kindly, with just enough propriety to get by. Thank you for sharing this piece.
lovePEOPLEandCOWBOY chapter 1 . 4/1/2014
belle scène !
wryter501 chapter 1 . 2/27/2014
i liked this one-shot a lot. it was one of my favorite scenes, and arthur's look there at the end was brilliant - concern mixed with exasperation. what he wants to do (rush to merlin) fighting with what he's supposed to do (as king at a banquet). his inclination to roll his eyes at merlin's incredibly bad timing overtaken by genuine worry... thanks for this!
Sahba chapter 1 . 2/26/2014
Love ittt :)
caldera32 chapter 1 . 2/19/2014
Hahaha... love Arthur abandoning Agravaine to Lady Chatsalot- pretending to give them some alone time :D
Quite the touching moment; Arthur getting all worried and guilty- loved the whole 'speech' theme (and it certainly made for a better excuse than the tavern _). Simply lovely
LFB72 chapter 1 . 2/19/2014
Arthur's eye roll and implied indifference to Merlin's collapse in the series always seemed a bit harsh and dismissive. I like how you have breathed life into his actions by making it a conscious decision; to try and appear strong and decisive when in reality he was struggling to cope with the increased responsibilities of running a kingdom in Uther's absence of mind.

I thought the observations Arthur made as he rushed to his servant were very astute and life like - and don't people always get in the way when you are in a hurry?

Loved the prince' acknowledgement of Merlin's hard work on the speech (also hoe this highlights his intelligence) and his guilt for causing the exhaustion.

Great interaction between Gaius and ward and really captured the love and respect between the two and the ominous feel of thing to come.

Well done as always - you make it look effortless!
Mika271170 chapter 1 . 2/19/2014
Great work,as always!

You never stop to amaze me with you writing skills!

Arthur s thoughts and emotions,greatly writen,i loved this episode and season 4 so much and miss all of it!

Don t ever sop writing in this fandom,please,i don t think will ever move on!
Anglophiles chapter 1 . 2/19/2014
Wonderful as always! Thank you for reminding us of the good, old days of Merlin. I really miss that show. Can't wait for the next installment of The Blood Potion.
Ddiwerth chapter 1 . 2/19/2014
Think there must be something wrong with alerts on FF, as I only saw this fic when I was browsing the board. Glad I found it though - very very good, hun. Nice little addendum to the scene in the show, and much better to make out that Arthur was rolling his eyes due to frustration at not being able to show his concern for Merlin, rather than because he'd had the audacity to faint during his speech. So nice as well to see Arthur showing gratitude for Merlin's efforts...i.e. staying up all night to write the speech. And even though this wasn't actually the cause for Merlin's collapse, Arthur deserved to feel guilty for all the other things he makes Merlin do just to take his mood out on him. I like the way he deliberately left Agravating in the lurch with the obnoxious lady too - nice to see that he doesn't always think the sun shines out of his Uncle's proverbial.

Looking forward very much to the Blood Potion update now...very much overdue scold scold :O)
April29Roses chapter 1 . 2/19/2014
Wonderful one shot! Your exploration of Arthur's feelings as he stays the course in his royal duties was really well done and I liked the segue of the king almost running to Gaius' room when he no longer is forced into pretense. The scene with Gaius was filled with that rising sense of foreboding. Arthur's feelings at seeing Merlin so still, were a nice foreshadowing of Merlin's later injury by the Dorocha. Can't wait for Blood Potion!
chele the original chapter 1 . 2/19/2014
Well done!
I like it.
mersan123 chapter 1 . 2/19/2014
Thank you. Just love your stories and this was no exception. I always enjoyed the relationship between Merlin and Gaius and in this you certainly nailed it. Thanks again.
Moon Fox chapter 1 . 2/18/2014
I liked seeing the beginning of this from Arthur's POV, very well done.