Reviews for Back to the Beginning
Taure chapter 12 . 11/21/2014
There is a problem that is common to a lot of fanfiction, and that is the problem of arbitrary conflict. Often an author will have a particular outcome in mind, with maybe particular scenes along the way they want to show because they like the idea of those scenes... yet unfortunately often these scenes can be incompatible with each other or do not logically connect. But authors continue with their plan nonetheless, held hostage by their vision.

Alas I fear that you have fallen into the same trap of allowing inconsistency into the story in order to achieve specific scenes. What abilities Harry does and doesn't have vary with events and always seems to be "just so" to achieve the outcome which the author considers most dramatic (while simultaneously keeping the central plot mostly canonical so that the author can do their "rehash with character inserted" plot). Certainly ad-hoc explanations are provided which seek to excuse the inconsistency, but that is exactly what they are: thin excuses, not consistent reasons.
Taure chapter 11 . 11/21/2014
Everyone in this story acts so petulantly. It's rather out of sync with their ages (yes, even Harry, who is acting more like a teenager than a 70 year old) and with the tone of the world of Middle Earth.
Taure chapter 3 . 11/21/2014
I'm not a fan of this whole "incarnate" mechanic. It undermines the idea that Harry and Nurundil are the same person only with memory loss. Rather it feels like Harry has been possessed, or rather that he is accidentally possessing someone else.

You're already facing an uphill battle to get readers to identify with Harry, who is both older and now of opposite sex to the Harry we know. If you push him too far away from Harry then we're going to stop thinking of him as Harry and start thinking of him as an OC who you've just given the name Harry as a kind of trick to get us to read what amounts to a LotR self-insert. Choosing such a clean and clear dividing line between Harry and Nurundil, the the point where they are completely separate identities, only furthers this "OC" perception which you need to avoid.
Ferdiad chapter 4 . 11/19/2014
I do find myself frustrated that Harry hasn't recognised he's not in a dream but that is due to reading though a metric shit ton of crap crossovers where the protags make huge jumps with no knowledge to divine that they are in another world. Nevertheless I think it's well written.
Monarck chapter 1 . 11/18/2014
Jesus. Thanks for the non warning. Thought I'd finally found something to read ; - ;
blobbytheunicorn chapter 18 . 11/17/2014
This is so good! I can't wait until Harry gets back and meets with Legolas.. someone is going to be in a lot of trouble then :P Usually I don't like gender-bending stories but yours is different. For one, Harry still thinks of himself as Harry, a guy. I really appreciate that he feels separate from Nurundil :) (btw, your names are absolutely beautiful - Niphredil is such a pretty name) In fact, you are such a good writer that I've found myself shipping Harry and Legolas - usually I would hate gender-bending stories that do that sort of thing, but with this story... Ah, they're just so cute :) Anyway, happy writing and I hope to read more of this story soon!
Katsuhito chapter 1 . 11/14/2014
An interesting beginning, I think I'll enjoy reading this one. And as for your a/n at the end about there being no fem!harry warning, well, didn't those readers look at the portrait for this fic? ;)

Back to reading now...

Ps. added to follows after first chapter - nice!
Analon chapter 18 . 11/13/2014
Excellent story! You've written the characters very well, and Harry was woven into the Middle earth history as if he was truly a part of it.
Rusty Knight chapter 1 . 11/9/2014
A great, good-written story. Thank you, thank you so much for this one.
Guest chapter 18 . 11/9/2014
really amazing fan fiction thanks
caligo-lux chapter 1 . 11/7/2014
ooookay a warning that harry would be a femal in the summery would have been nice, for i had no desire to read a story with him as a female and that hint would have saved me some minutes of my life. Kinda a shame that you had to genderbend him cause the beginning sure was promising and well written :/
Namarie Peredhil chapter 18 . 11/7/2014
Pleas update this is amazing!
timewastin chapter 18 . 11/3/2014
Fantastic story! Only found this recently and I've read through it all in only a few days. Thanks for all the effort and uploads.
The Red Dementor chapter 18 . 11/2/2014
Yaaaaaaay, new chapter!
volturiprincess086 chapter 18 . 11/2/2014
I feel really bad for Legolas, he's in love with Harry (well femharry who isnt really a femharry) and Harry hasnt had any romantic thoughts about him in return.
692 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »