Reviews for By Proxy
Levade chapter 10 . 5/14
Best line in the entire great story:
"There are only two sorts of beings in the galaxy: early risers and their victims."

As an early riser surrounded by night owls I must disagree. They keep me up far too late, far too often and I seldom seem to be able to offer the opposite courtesy.

For all the things Jedi must face in a hard life there are some small compensations that I hope settle into their minds for future barren times. It is amazing sometimes that what is first horribly painful, with time, can transmute to a far more gentle memory. Or at the least, you let go the hurtful and keep what was good.
Guest chapter 10 . 11/30/2014
Lovely warm ending :) that was so sweet. And i too, like Obi-Wan, felt a little slow when Qui-Gon pointed out that it is listening rather than talking that gives most comfort xD
Your mastery of writing and these characters is such that i can't compliment you without feeling pretentious and condescending; please accept my eternal worship instead xD
Guest chapter 6 . 11/30/2014
the engineer in me squeals at the deft use of celestial mechanics in this chapter xD you must have some background in astrophysics!
What a sweet story. Reeft is hilarious xD as is Obi, sending off the draft to Qui-Gon xD your OCs are always a delight, and your writing style perfect as usual. And your Obi-Wan sparkles off the page. Love your work! Thanks for sharing, totally made my day in the middle of finals season :)
Chades chapter 10 . 11/16/2014
This was cute beyond words. (Now I kinda miss working with kids. They're a handful but it's also really rewarding.)
TheChronicler1209 chapter 10 . 3/20/2014
That was great! I've read many of your stories. I'm going through them slowly, haven't finished all yet but I was wondering in which story of yours does Obi-Wan become a Jedi Knight?
not paranoid enough chapter 10 . 3/5/2014
Ack, so cute :D So damned cute!
Sage of wind Dragons chapter 10 . 3/3/2014
very nice reasoning out some truths of the life and like.
and Obi wan has just been firmly chosen to be a BABY sitter... the horror.
still, a nice little growing bit with the knights, I imagine that they wouldent just LET anyone take a padwan without SOME babysitting or something , not that it would be REQUIRED... od they have to say im going to be looking for a padwan now or?
well usually.
and its nice, don't examine nor let other examine your old sacrs,s o you donnt wound it nor press it usually, yikes.
still a nice conclusion to the woolgathering, only now that you got the shape of the ISSUE what next?
Obiwan456 chapter 10 . 3/3/2014
I love how you weave all these stories and characters together.

Sometimes a padawan just need to talk and a master just needs to listen…and this was the case for both, wasn't it? Very sweet.

And Qui-Gon a bit wistful because he's seeing his "little boy" grow up. This was a test for Obi-Wan, wasn't it.

Oh, not an official council directed test I don't think, but with Feld needing to leave Zhoa for a couple days, Qui-Gon thought this was a good chance to try Obi-Wan out on caring for a young one. It looks like he passed the test. And of course, Obi-Wan is perfect. ;)

Loved this very sweet story, now eagerly awaiting the next Legacy installment - finally (?).
Eirian Erisdar chapter 10 . 3/3/2014
Awwwww. That line about 'each master' was squee-worthy. It's slightly sad that Obi is too old to be carried back to his room and tucked in - but I'm prone to indulge in nostalgia, so don't mind me. XD
sterling5842 chapter 10 . 3/3/2014
This was a very satisfying conclusion!
***
Qui-Gon demonstrates his mastery of mastering skills. I loved the twist that Qui-Gon arranged the whole thing both to help Feld with Zhoa and to prove to Obi-Wan that he can nurture a padawan when the time comes. Also, it was handy that Obi-Wan conveniently took care of lecturing himself so Qui-Gon only had to listen and issue the occasional prompt. I guess that’s a sign of a well-trained padawan. :D
***
Well, Obi-Wan’s speech was not entirely reassuring. ;) It was all the more poignant due to the allusions to the past and to the future. This makes me ache for Tatooine Obi-Wan all over again. Also, it makes me have renewed respect and admiration for teachers and parents who take on the challenge of raising a child with open eyes and do it anyway. Hopefully, they find it well worth it despite the lack of guarantees for all the reasons Obi-Wan gives here.
***
Obi-Wan is *perfect* once he was able to accept the necessity and rightness of striving with no guarantees of perfection. It’s one of life’s great paradoxes that that brings its own brand of perfection.
***
Yes, Qui-Gon is the master. He arranged the whole thing, but Feld is the one who will pay the price. :D Also, it was so very sweet to see Obi-Wan taking his first steps in mentoring with his own mentor by his side. If only! I can’t wait to see this same dynamic when the padawaning begins in earnest!
***
This was a lovely tale, often hilarious, but ultimately incredibly touching. Thank you for sharing it!
maryg92844 chapter 10 . 3/2/2014
Awww, that was adorable!
Obiwan456 chapter 9 . 3/2/2014
Awww…this story has so charmed me. Obi-Wan caring for a young padawan…did this idea come from Phia?

And poor Zhia feels so left out of her group of friends because she has moved on.

What a scrumptious shoulder to cry on. ;)
Obiwan456 chapter 8 . 3/2/2014
Poor Obi-Wan doesn't know what to do, so he did what he felt was best for the time…and a good choice is was…Bant is very understanding.

Loved the bit with Bento Le though. ;)

And Obi-Wan is very gracious to Zhoa.
Obiwan456 chapter 7 . 3/2/2014
Aw, she started crying because he got hurt..

Well, she blames herself..does she remind me of anyone? ;)

Poor thing…but this is so cute...
maryg92844 chapter 2 . 3/2/2014
Oh, this is the padawan Feld chose in Legacy 1. I do enjoy how your stories continue!