Reviews for Collateral Damage
JolieBlack chapter 1 . 5/11
You already know that I love this story - it's so unusual, how it focuses on John and the Major, but it says SO much about John. I also love the fact that Sherlock just shuts up and listens, for once. He's really done a huge lot of growing up over the course of season 3.
Since this story is already in the Canon Addicts collection over at AO3, are you OK with it if I grab it for the sister community here on the site as well? And "Simple Procedure", too?
Jolie
JuliaBC chapter 1 . 2/9
Oh, perfectly summed up. Sherlock would not let John become that. Wonderful.
librarywitch chapter 1 . 1/18
Wow, I knew you wrote good Harry Potter, but kiddo you do Sherlock proud too Love it
Xin0Lan chapter 1 . 1/7
Well goodness me! That was quite a punch in the gut feeling. Sherlock certainly felt the seriousness of Sholto's words especially when he knew about the man's past and added to John's years without Sherlock.
Well done.
Wynsom chapter 1 . 11/18/2014
Brilliantly humanizing and poignant on so many levels! Wonderful character study within the BBC canon!
Writer's-BlockDP chapter 1 . 8/15/2014
I just rewatched this episode earlier today, and this conversation fits perfectly with the events described. It's something that Sherlock has never had to think about because he's never had someone who would do that for him, so I'm sure it came as quite the shock. Very well written, and something that I didn't think about when watching it myself. Thanks for sharing, and I love the insights :)
Nimthiriel Eruhin chapter 1 . 8/12/2014
Once again, a beautiful piece of work that shows wisdom and skill. However, I don't think Sherlock is as jealous as all that, nor would he regret saving anyone. After all, that's what he admires so much in John, as he stated repeatedly in his speech, and I think it was the desire to follow his example that ultimately lead him to shoot Magnussen. Additionally, he has all the reason in the world to hate and envy Mary but he clearly doesn't. Ergo, he wouldn't regret saving Sholto's life. Aside from that, I love this story and enjoyed it very much.
White Wyrsa chapter 1 . 8/6/2014
You made me feel very good by this one)
Whatching the end of the episode TSoT I felt sharply how everything changed. Changed in a good way, but in sad one too. But you reminded me what was (and IS through all those decades of fandom) the best in that parting - that promice of the best friendship living on.
sevenpercent chapter 1 . 7/25/2014
this is an astute observation- and one of the few stories to handle Shloto with the respect he is due. Excellent writing!
hjohn302 chapter 1 . 7/22/2014
Oh this is so wonderful. Somehow I haven't gotten to read much of your recent work and am so glad I ran across this today.

Thank you for a wonderful story and a bit of a missing scene from the episode. (and the bit at the end, describing what was going on in Sherlock's head as he walked away)

Great job with this! :)
englishtutor chapter 1 . 7/20/2014
Ah, this was beautifully done. I loved your description of Sholto's eyes "unafraid of life even as they carried the weight of the world." And then leveling his gaze on Sherlock with his "x-ray vision". And then closing them at the memory of collateral damage. Nicely done!

I also loved that you had John and Mary on either side of Sherlock, pulling him back into the festivities together. Thanks for writing this-it's lovely!
becgate chapter 1 . 5/15/2014
Lovely! !
hatondog chapter 1 . 5/6/2014
I love this. You've picked up on a subtext that really does characterize-and explain-a lot of John's devotion to Sherlock. Sholto is right in this-if anything, Sherlock poses a greater risk to John than Sholto ever could because of the depth of feeling they share. The responsibility should scare Sherlock more than he's been shown to realize.

Have to say too that I also love your profile note and agree with your tips entirely. The commonness of the "loose/lose" error is particularly confounding. It's everywhere in fan fic, sometimes from authors who clearly should know better. Hard to put it down to spell check alone, and a bit scary that at least some writers must think they're getting it right.
FanOfRandomThings chapter 1 . 5/2/2014
Good job, I like how you portray Sherlock's thoughts about John and Sholto :)
Swiss Army Knife chapter 1 . 4/18/2014
I've been longing to read some investigation into the relationship between John and Sholto. This was an interesting peek into its significance past and present. Thank you for the story.