Reviews for When in Disgrace
Dino-Rogue chapter 1 . 5/16/2014
Oh, thanks to that music vid, then! I shall watch both right now...

Secretly, in the deepest part of his heart... no, his soul, Vegeta wants this life. This life of being like the rest, one with the rest. He never tells, he never shows; how could he? Misunderstood, disliked, hated; check out the Supreme Kai's question. See? Strength, pride, and so much more. Much, much more. Vegeta has sacrificed a lot - goodness, spending his childhood onwards with Frieza? In that case, he's sacrifice his whole life along with his father's! And Goku, the dead Goku, is still stronger than him. Still more liked, loved, wanted, respected by everyone. I know his family should have been enough, but with Vegeta... his past and his life, could you really blame him for what he did in the Buu Saga? Because of this fic, I know I could not. You have enlightened me. Whether you write romance or not, you write good pieces, period. And gosh, I never thought Shakespeare could fit Vegeta's tale very well! Extremely perfectly! So beautifully! Thank you a million for writing this wonderful piece!

"Make me the prince is was"? You could perhaps correct that?

He hates everything about himself. And why? Nothing about it is - was fair. Now I see... He forced himself to be that evil and forced himself to believe that that is all that he is, all that he will ever be... all that he has ever been. When in truth, his soul, his heart is craving that peace, the joy and love. It wants that, needs it, because it is more than capable of feeling all those things and giving them back just as well as receiving it... and deserving it! Vegeta more than deserves a life filled with peace... a real life lived!

Indeed, there was no room for himself at that moment, was there? Yes, this was how he felt; what his heart thought, during that moment of sacrifice and selflessness. "They are my reason for life. They must live. So I will die." Aww, Vegeta, you do deserve that heaven that your loved ones gave you!

Oh, wow, because of this fic and thanks to you, I am in love with that sonnet now! Oh, and by the way, it's 'Dabura', not an "O". :)

Ah, so when he told Buu that he thinks he finally understands him... woah! Double meaning, Vegeta? I totally did not see that underlying... no, hidden subtext... killing both killers; him and Buu... no! Vegeta...

This piece is simply marvelous. Sad, beautiful, remarkable! Superb! Great job, dear author!
Coofis chapter 1 . 11/6/2013
This is beautiful. The narration flows smoothly from one line to the next. You know what? I think I'll take a look at that music video. I love anything that features Vegeta or is themed around him, since he is by far one of the most psychologically diverse characters I've ever come across.

Bravo, my friend. Bravo.

-Coofis
Haphazard Snow chapter 1 . 3/9/2012
This was amazingly written. Very nicely done and realistic. Keep up the great work!
SnowLion no Miko chapter 1 . 12/13/2009
This was amazing. Beautiful. It felt like it was really Vegeta talking. This fic really was wonderful and I enjoyd it very much. Great job.
Samuraiko chapter 1 . 2/2/2006
Ah... I like. Great choices of words, and excellent choice in poem, too. Personal favorites of your lines include:

I could almost laugh, if the urge to scream wasn’t as strong.

I’m tired of my soul! Take it! Do it before I change my mind!

(And for my own part, I will have you know, I cry every time I watch the end of the episode FINAL ATONEMENT, and that was an episode that FUNi got so RIGHT!)

I'm off to read your next story!

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko
Biker Babe21 chapter 1 . 9/7/2004
ur sonnet was beautiful! i rarely ever cry over anything but your sonnet touched me so deeply that i spent quite some time just thinking about it and crying. i like your other stories too! i even just finished reading your essays on dragonball z and dragonball and i wholeheartedly agree w/you. i was a HUGE vegeta fan and i think im starting to relike dragonball z more than yu yu hakusho! probably b/c of your essays and sonnet. consider this review an honor as i hardly ever review for anything except the things i truely love! keep up the good work and stay safe! unlike crash dummy me!
Lady Lark chapter 1 . 2/14/2004
Interesting. The sonnet fits Vegeta beautifully. In a way, I wish you had expanded on this a bit more. But this is a very nice vignette.
Withering chapter 1 . 11/1/2003
So good... and you're right, I haven't seen another sonnet fic around. The way you portrayed Vegeta's feelings was great, you really got his character down.

Oh, and I know those music videos you're talking about. I've seen them too, and I agree that they kick ass.

blondcyborg
The Crazy Cricket chapter 1 . 3/5/2003
I like this. The sonnet does fit Vegeta really well. Good job.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/13/2002
Wow..That was very well written. I think the sonnet fits quite nicely. :) I liked you're portrayal of Vegeta's thoughts, great work! _
Taes chapter 1 . 10/25/2002
Quick review before sleep...very nicely done. You've got a lot of good ideas, but I can't help but think you're putting them down too quickly...which is to say, seems like this was written like thoughts, coming and going with little or no revision and expansion.

It reads well, but it's not very flow-y. Y'know? No transitions. Because it's in 1st person, you CAN do that, but detail is always a blessing.

What I'm trying to say: good ideas, well done, and a good fan fic, but I think you could do better.

Always challenge yourself, ne?

I'm going to go sleep.
Vetyga's Rath chapter 1 . 10/22/2002
Wow... This is really deep. I really like it. You've managed to fully capture Vegeta's emotions with this...It makes me want to read more of it. If you continue to write as you've done with this then I know I personally would enjoy them all! !_!
Sholio chapter 1 . 10/16/2002
Y'know, I think you're right - this is the first sonnet fic I've ever read or heard of! I think you've created a new fanfic genre ... and it's very well done. The sonnet and the scenes that you've chosen to trace Vegeta's mental development fit together very well. You've also done a good job of describing Vegeta's feelings. This part is especially in character:

"I'm sick of myself. The self-pity. The jealousy. The worthlessness. The weakness. Come on, Babadi. I'm tired of waiting. Change me, already! Cleanse and strengthen. I'm tired of feeling! I'm tired of my soul! Take it! Do it before I change my mind! Make me the prince I was!"

In some parts, though, I'm not sure if he'd go so far with being able to articulate his feelings, even to himself. Even if he does, on some level, envy the humans of Earth for being able to live in peace when he can't, I don't think he'd be able to acknowledge or accept it. He's still too much a creature of war and he doesn't trust his emotions. At this point in Vegeta's life, rage and jealousy are the only things he understands - even his gentler emotions are expressed through that filter. The only way he knows to show his family that he cares about them is by dying. So maybe go a little subtler on his softer side; that's my only critique. Other than that, excellent! This one's definitely going on my favorites.