Reviews for To Labor Through the Winter Snow
Vi-Violence chapter 14 . 8/30/2016
Any chance of more?
Kristen Sharpe chapter 14 . 5/19/2015
Short, but oh so interesting. Now, you've got me wondering too about what Mephisto's mansion is like beneath its (barely) normal exterior. And, having refreshed myself on the mythology surrounding her, I'm also wondering why on earth Mephisto chose Lamia to watch the twins. Because wasn't that last bit just ominous.

And, I'm probably far too amused/charmed by how Rin is so very, well, *Rin* even as a baby.
SuperiorDimwit chapter 14 . 5/14/2015
Well, I hope things have been busy in pleasant ways, at least. Take care of yourself in the first place and don't let writing become a burden.

Even if it's a short update (and perhaps a hurried one, what do I know) I appreciate the thought you put into it. I feel equal parts pity and curiosity for Lamia: her concern for the children and her quivering "lostness" seem deeply human, and in a way I'm not surprised when she later on admits that she was human once. I wonder what she was thinking of, when she looked at the babies? Memories? Good ones, bad ones? You just suck me right into this character.

I'm relieved it was just a fever - I had thought it was something much worse when Lamia was so worried in the last chapter. But it's interesting, too. She couldn't recognise a common fever, so of course to her the situation seemed alarming, simply because she didn't know what was happening or what to do about it. God, I hadn't thought of that, but of course demons must be puzzled when confronted with human diseases; at least the demons that haven't studied humankind closely. I smile when Shiro has the same kind of a-ha experience regarding what demons like Lamia and Belial do when no one is watching. It feels like this is the first time Shiro thinks of demons as beings parallel to humans: beings that have jobs, have spare time, etc. All those little clashing-culture things that I love.

One thing that I hadn't expected in this chapter was how quickly Shiro's attention is stolen away by the odd paintjobs of the mansion. (Oh dear, Mephisto is bored...? x'D) Where we left off last time his attention was entirely on the twins and getting to them, so when his attention now was on Mephisto's quirky sense of home design it surprised me a little. I do see why that would draw one's attention, though. :P And when he sees the twins again, it's exactly as I had hoped. He even counts the weeks they've been apart? He really is their parent, even without blood ties.

A lovely chapter, and I do hope that Shiro and Lamia get to talk some more.
Girl with the Iceheart chapter 14 . 5/5/2015
Oh this is a really awesome fic! This is really well written, which is kinda hard to find now a days. The incorporation with demons from other stories are also pretty cool.
Definite follow and fave!
Alina97 chapter 14 . 5/2/2015
I missed this fic, the chapter was good but short, I'll be waiting for more. And now I'm going to fill my house with polka dots XD polka dots are awesome.
NOTSOFASTKAIBA chapter 14 . 5/1/2015
Poor lil Yukio. I'm sure Shiro will have him fixed up in no time. Haha, just wait until Rin starts walking and talking. Shiro will miss the days when his greatest challange was a dirty diaper.
amethystfirechik chapter 14 . 5/1/2015
Is Lamia referring to being the first human woman God created, before she got replaced by Eve? Or is that Lilith?
SuperiorDimwit chapter 13 . 2/12/2015
Shiemi's mom! :3 Oh yes of course, she must also play a part in this. I'm still hoping to get a name on her in the manga. Overall I want to know more about the Moriyama family because they simply have so many question marks around them. 8/

"Maybe the past always looked more beautiful than the present." It just caught my eye when I read. It's both beautiful and - in many cases - true, but I also had this feeling... that all these events have probably aged Shiro. I don't think he ever felt his age before, and in truth he isn't very old yet, but after all that happened with Satan and this very demanding game of politics and contracts I think he might feel older in a way he never felt before; this sentence gave me that feeling, at least. :P

Just thinking about when they introduce themselves. First name and then surname? I guess my eyes just stumble because I'm used to Japanese introducing themselves surname first, it's no fault per se.

"I... no... yes...?" Oh Shiro, that's just plain adorable. xD You know, this reminds me of my grandfather on the paternal side. He was a village original of sorts, and I remember being told about one occasion when he was stopped for speeding and the police wanted to check if he was inebriated. The police then asked him "how many children do you have?" This was when my grandmother was in the hospital, expecting to have her baby any day. So grandfather swiftly replied "two", then remembered that might not be the case and corrected himself to "three", then added a "maybe" because he wasn't sure. x) I don't remember if the police let him off the hook or not.

Ah, the familiarity between the two! I love how you make scenes like this so relaxed and natural. The dialogue moves in such a way that you can really feel that the characters have minds, motivations and musings of their own, and that they relate to their immediate surroundings when they decide which of these to pour into the conversation. :O It's great! Until the point where Shiro reflects over what it felt like to be pregnant. No no, it's still really good writing - it's just that pregnancy as a phenomenon freaks me out. x') The description of feeling full and carrying another life inside doesn't equate with satisfaction and happiness in my mind: my association is more like chest-bursters in Alien. It's a groundbreaking thought in the interpretation of Shiro's character, though, and I think that the sympathy and understanding he required from it... yeah that's a good thing.

I'm glad that Natsuki's response to his confession is what it is: stating the hard facts of the conditions that he has to accept if he is going to go through with this. She's both like Shiemi and not like Shiemi: a soft exterior, but inside there's a diamond core. Hehe I can't help but think that this is also a relief for Shiro because it's like receiving a mission briefing and an order. x9 Comfort in habit - but also, as you point out, that this confirms that his doubts and worries are legitimate and most of all normal.

I applaud the cliffhanger! I'm dying (bad pun, not intended) to know what's amiss with the boy now that she expresses the problem that way - and if maybe this has something to do with Shiro's and Mephisto's bonding mission? For that matter, what mission it is that has kept him occupied for a while now. And, Lamia suddenly seems so much more three-dimensional as a character. That's some guts, to sneak into an academy for exorcists to find Shiro. :X No matter if her worry is for Yukio, or for her own life if something happens to Yukio, her display of emotion has impact.

(A couple of places in the second paragraph where Shiro thinks of Mephisto and "demon's" have become "demons".)
"and there are some thing[s] I can only get through Rome."
"there wasn't a dirty spoon in [sight]."
"He doubted she would have been able to pus[h] that cart"
"another pregnant woman and he wanted to know, wanted to show [share?] those experiences"
"Natsuki's embarrassed b[l]ush deepened."
MoonlitMelody chapter 13 . 2/4/2015
Gotta say, this is my favorite Blue Exorcist fic set during this time period. Granted, there aren't many set during this time, but that just makes this one all the better! Really liking the inclusion of Shiemi's mom - she's a supporting character I always wanted to see more of.

I know baby Yukio will pull through in the end, but damnit, he's too cute to almost die this early. D:
Alina97 chapter 13 . 2/3/2015
I felt awkward while reading Shiro's thoughts and experiences on pregnancy, XD but that would happen to anyone who got their head messed up by Satan I suppose. overall this was a good chapter, and I liked how Shiemi's mother got introduced.
BrokenSofia chapter 13 . 2/2/2015
YAYAYAYAYYA A UPDATE I LUV DIS.
Kristen Sharpe chapter 13 . 2/2/2015
Yukio "losing life" sounds decidedly ominous. But, it's good to see the twins coming back into the story! I did wonder how things were going with Mephisto and Shiro both distracted. And, it's fun to see you working in Shiemi's mother too. I can only wonder where that might lead.

Sorry this is a sort of braindead review, but I don't have any particular thoughts beyond enjoying the developments. (Though I'm still not quite sure how to take the hints that Shiro is no longer the person he was and is instead - at least in some way - a composite of Shiro, Yuri, and maybe even Satan.)
NOTSOFASTKAIBA chapter 13 . 2/2/2015
Yes, an update!

I like the cover up story for the boys. I really found myself wondering what a valid excuse would be. Someone will squint there eyes and think "that one has moles, just like Yuri." Or "wow they were born right when Yuri was supposed to have her kid". Of course, there are ways around it, but seeing someone sweat can be amusing.

Poor Yukio! Being a sick child I know the suffering it can put a family through. Hang in there Shiro!
SuperiorDimwit chapter 12 . 1/29/2015
I feel like it's more appropriate to go from the bottom and up on this chapter. I was thinking it on the first read through and I keep thinking it during the second: it will be hard for Shiro to play this new kind of game, as one that moves pawns on the board instead of just being moved as a pawn. He's fine as long as that bitter taste is with him. When he stops feeling that reluctance to use others as tools? Then he will have lost an important bar on his conscience.

I'm falling in love with Izumi more and more. The detail with how he sits when he reads is just so lush with personality and it's an addition I truly love. It kind of does remind me of myself when I was little. I don't know how many photos there are in the family album of me and my strange reading positions. Oh god I wish he will prove to be "true", I'd hate to think that this modest, lovely character is faking it for some ulterior motive. *don't give my whining too much weight, I'm fine with Izumi turning out to be something else entirely too*

The concept of Divine Eyes is just mindblowing. Not least because my brain bluescreens when I try to fathom how many religious scriptures one must know and how /thoroughly/ one must know them in order to be useful as a Divine Eye. To pick out the right verse through just a few scattered words. Wow. O_O Izumi just aquired the gentlest form of awesomeness I've ever come across. Now I really wonder what he would see if he were to look at Mephisto - and what measures Mephisto has taken to safeguard against the powers of Divine Eyes. He must be very careful to keep the fatal verses of Samael from being known, otherwise a Divine Eye would recognise them and identify him. The question is, can he really make /all/ of that material disappear, without making it look suspicious? Or will Izumi find some scraps down in the archives that can point him in useful but dangerous directions? *w*

...why do you always write chapters that gear my curiosity up like this? x')

Just noticed that a middle aged man is sitting behind the desk in the library... and then Shiro nods to "her". Missed editing?
Kristen Sharpe chapter 12 . 1/23/2015
And, it's an ominous ending to a quiet chapter. But, what a *revealing* quiet chapter! The questions and answers around Izumi are growing. And, what an interesting ability he has. I love the idea there and your descriptions of it. Heh, and Shiro already seems to be wondering if it will work on the twins. (We will get an answer to that eventually, won't we?)