Reviews for Jack Of The Lantern
Aria Breuer chapter 5 . 5/10/2013
You certainly have a well-written story here. I was wondering at the very end whether this was truly the end, or whether there is more to the tale. Who knows.

As usual, in spite of the little annoyances I seem to pick up on my own (not from you or other writers, but more from the characters - long story, but I'm not really feeling comfortable telling it on here), you've written another well-written story.

Nice work.

-Aria Breuer
Aria Breuer chapter 3 . 5/10/2013
You seem to have a fair amount of well-written stories. You successfully hook your readers into the story as well, which makes these quick but decent reads.

However, I'm going to have to agree with Tulip Proudfoot about All Hallows Eve and All Saint's Day starting long after the Third Age of Middle-earth, perhaps two or three Ages after the events of the War of the Ring. Then again, I'm sure since this story this idea is also overused: placing modern events, items (excuse the items part - if done right - since that can cause disaster anyway), holidays, etc into Middle-earth, or even bending Middle-earth - people, places, events, the story itself - to fit the modern era. I can admit, some stories are well-done and I make exceptions, but I'm sure there are many that are blind to this overused idea, as well as other overused ideas, which in turn become tiresome. That's just how I've observed what has happened recently, but this story must be one of the first that started this trend.

Now, back to the review for this story: so far, this story has me pulled in, as I've said earlier. It seems everyone's in-character, which helps with the reading, but you spelled Merry's full first name wrong once (I believe it was in the second chapter): instead of Meriadoc, you spelled his name "Meridaoc". It's not a huge spelling error and an easy fix, but I thought I should point this out before I forget. Although this story-within-the-story is modified for hobbits, and apparently Bilbo's younger audience, it still reeled me in as most fairy tales, such as this one, did.

Overall, I look forward to reading more and, hopefully, finishing the story.

-Aria Breuer
Tulip Proudfoot chapter 5 . 4/17/2005
AW...snif. Great story (as usual). Thank you again, Ms. Stonebreaker.
Tulip Proudfoot chapter 4 . 4/17/2005
Nice, nice, nice little chapter to "tidy up" the story-within-a-story.
Tulip Proudfoot chapter 3 . 4/16/2005
GREAT Story, Rachael. But I'm a wee bit bothered by All Hallows Eve and All Saints Day in M.E. - seeings as the events in M.E. occur pre-Christian era (and consequently, pre-saints). But that's a niggling point to which I am sure you have a perfectly good answer. I can't think of a comparable non-Christian harvest festival which equals the creepiness of All Hallows Eve. Great story, or have I said that already? Great story.
Tulip Proudfoot chapter 2 . 4/11/2005
He he...I'm discovering another Rachael gem long, long after it's first publication. Like a wee Christmas present you find in April.
katakanadian chapter 5 . 10/24/2002
Ripping good yarn, what?

I never knew the story of how jack-o-lanterns came to be, though I knew they were originally turnips.

I like the bittersweetness of the scenes in Mordor that you bookended onto the legend.
Robin Gurl chapter 4 . 10/24/2002
HEHEHE Cute!

DOes ur friend torture Pip more!

I read the chapters backwards for some odd reason..and I'm feeling stupid for doing that.

Heheh

Well

Cya

Robin Girl
GreyLadyBast chapter 5 . 10/23/2002
aawwwww! I'm almost sorry this is over, because now I don't have more to look forward to. Oh well, I'll just have to read it again.

Congrats on a story well told!
tiggivon chapter 5 . 10/23/2002
thankyou for your e-mail it meant a lot to me reading this. i shall remember the story and read it on halloween.

loved the ending. frodo wanting comfort and sam feeling lost knowing there is little he can do.

i am going to read your stories and catch up on what i have missed. if they are half as good as thisone which i think they are i'll be so happy.

take care. tiggivon.x
shirebound chapter 5 . 10/23/2002
And here we are back in Mordor. What a nice story, I can just see Sam telling that tale to Frodo to keep him "grounded". How heartbreaking, "...the Ring was a burden burning away Frodo's essence and dragging him into perpetual darkness." I hope the movies show how wonderful Sam was and how Frodo would never have made it without him. Thanks for sharing this with us!
Findal chapter 5 . 10/23/2002
Hi,

I really enjoyed this story (and all your other ones too). You write really well, and I just love seeing Merry get a decent share of a storyline!

Do you have Scottish family? (please excuse me from being curious, and you don't have to answer if you don't want to) Or some other connection? I loved reading about the kind of lanterns my mum used to make me, although I wonder how Jack managed to make his so quickly, as they always took us at least a couple of hours!
Pansy Chubb chapter 4 . 10/22/2002
I've been watching for you. Knew you would come up with another story. This is a fun one. The Hobbits were actually pretty good and didn't interupt too much. I hope more is coming.

See, now I know how to do a signed review.
GreyLadyBast chapter 4 . 10/22/2002
"Don't underestimate yourself, Sam. You're made of strong material. I'd trust you to rescue the whole of Middle Earth if it were needed."

Very nice foreshadowing. And yes, you satisfied my craving for a ghost story very well. Thanks!
shirebound chapter 4 . 10/22/2002
I live for reviews as well, don't go feeling guilty about that! Feedback is a wonderful way to feel "connected" and part of the LOTR "family".

What a sweet story. A great line, "I'd trust you to rescue the whole of Middle Earth if it were needed." As would we all.