Reviews for Staring at the Embers
NickeltheRed chapter 1 . 3/26
My favorite segments here, or the segments I enjoyed the most were "Green" and "Honor." You captured Daryl and Beth just perfectly in both cases here I think. Now I really don't ship Bethyl romantically, (...although if I had to choose, it'd be Beth any day over Carol) but as Norman once stated in an interview, Beth did become his light at the end of the dark tunnel, and that's how I personally viewed their connection too. I got sucked into those few episodes when they were stuck alone together in S.4 and of course I was sad to see that heartwarming dynamic go away. I miss Beth. Regardless of these things, however...this is a beautiful collection to honor the two characters creating that bond and probably one of the BEST Walking Dead fics I've read thus far. Good work.
Salovi chapter 1 . 12/1/2014
Each of these is such a perfect snapshot of a story, beautifully complete even in their brevity. And yet I definitely wouldn't mind reading full length stories based on any one of these sentences (hint, hint!)

Well done; you are very talented! These made me happy after a very rough mid season finale...
The Science of Fiction chapter 1 . 5/10/2014
I'm not sure what it is about this pairing, but I absolutely love it! And this is beautiful. Your writing style is amazing, and you're so descriptive. But my favorite part is that you know how to give them a moment without taking it that one step too far. It's romantic, and sweet, and realistic, without being creepy. Well done!
devon380black chapter 1 . 4/2/2014
I hope you don't mind but I also want to post which parts I liked best (not just the prompt titles).

#07 Despair
...and one day, if they both live that long, she will tell him that there's no need for him to look over his shoulder, no need to try and catch her gaze, because as long as he'll have her she will stay close; as long as she's able to, she'll follow him anywhere.

#25 Light
...and she'll descend the the stairs in the morning to see him at the breakfast table, covered in dirt and motor oil, fiddling with his crossbow, and he'll look up when he sees her, the sun turning his hair a shade lighter, and follow her with his gaze as she nears him, and when she walks past she'll run her fingers along his shoulder and up back of his neck to tangle in his hair and he won't mind...

#45 Ugly
...and something in Beth's chest drops, dislodges and plummets, releasing something else - cold, ugly tendrils that spread and bore into her heart, suffocating and stinging - and she watches as he dips his head, says something that makes Carol laugh, and Beth is adrift, alone, a jagged hole in her chest, the realization so sudden that it hurts, but it's true, that her heart is not her own and hasn't been for quite some time.

#34 Regret
...and when she feels the hitch in his breath it strikes her that he doesn't even know - crazy, because how can't he know - so she kisses him properly instead, on dry, chapped lips, tasting the blood staining his teeth, and feels him ghost shaking fingers over her cheek and down her jawline before they drop to her shoulder and he's pushing her away again...

#12 End
...so caught up in the thought that she didn't even notice; oh, she breathes, because the look he gives her is lingering, full of things he's never dare to say out loud, so shy and skittish for such a commanding presence; oh, because it never occurred to her that he would be the one waiting for her;

#23 Honor
...her daddy's told her to be careful, to keep her distance, that these end time bring out the worst in man and will turn even those once honorable into sinners, but she thinks that he might just be wrong, because surely there are still righteous men left on this earth - you just have to know where to look.

#19 Grave
- she listens as his heartbeat slows, as the tension in his body melts away, and for a split moment she thinks about reaching up and closing the lid, of locking them both in, keeping them safe...

#26 Lost

#28 New
- he's warm and solid and he doesn't push her away or pull her close, but that's okay because Beth knows that not even Carol's been here, this close, this safe, and it makes her feel like the bravest person alive.

#08 Doors

#09 Drink
...and maybe it won't be so bad after all, to be stuck at the end of the world with Daryl Dixon.

#13 Fall
...and she can feel him panting, exhausted, against the side of her face, so she threads her fingers through his hair and pulls his head down, feeling strange comfort in the way his shoulders shake as he tucks his face away against her shoulder, large hands coming up to clutch at the back of her sweater as if she might disappear at any moment should he let her go.

#46 War
- it's a slow burn, a war of attrition, cutting down his defenses and letting him know it's alright to trust her, to let her this close, but it's a war Beth knows she's going to win.

#22 Hollow

#17 Food
- Beth lies awake a long time after, blinking against the darkness, listening to the soft snores of dog and man and tracing the outline of the wings stretching down Daryl's back.

#27 Metal
...says you best shut your mouth because she's not theirs to have and he's not one of them, he's not, and she knows that, will convince him of it when he finds her again, will make him use his words, but she's not here right now, and until he gets her back again Daryl will let his knife do the talking for him.

#18 Foot

#15 Flexible

#40 Spring
...and the soft swell of her growing belly straining against her shirt.

#39 Solid
...because Daryl Dixon doesn't do things by halves, and she knows that this is for life, the two of them.

#41 Stable

#02 Apples

#04 Bugs

#47 Water

#05 Coffee
...and she doesn't care that she lost the coffee in the process of climbing down the wall because if nothing else it gives her two free hands to pull him closer with as she stumblrs towards him, as she falls to her knees and, finally, back into his arms.

#01 Air
...she told Carol once that they were weak without him, and she does believe that, considers him the best kind of survivor, the kind who keeps others alive as well, so it lights a spark inside of her when she spots him through the smoke, tall and resolute, because suddenly she knows she'll make it, that he'll guide her through this - all she has to do is nurture that flame, keep the hope alive, and he'll do the rest.

#33 Rain

#03 Beginning
- if she were to reach out her hand it would meet bloodied cloth and solid flesh, and if she were to trail her touch down his arm and wrap her fingers around his wrist, grip tight and let his presence steady her, she thinks he might just let her;

I really enjoyed reading this. KUDOS. :)
Nathiiita-DH chapter 1 . 3/29/2014
Hello!
Love Bethyl. Always!
:) I love just
Thanks for this.
Greetings.
roswellian love chapter 1 . 3/29/2014
I'm speechless amazing job. I hope it ends with Daryl and Beth having a little one and still surviving
MissieMae chapter 1 . 3/25/2014
I loved every single one of these. They were all fantastic and beautiful and so canon. I can see each scene in my head. Ugh them having a baby, my heart. I really hope that some of these are just beautifully written premonitions of what would happen. This was so good especially when their future at the moment looks bleak. Love this. Will be looking forward to anything else you write!
FiveFiveGenie chapter 1 . 3/24/2014
Can't choose just 1 favorite, so I'll tell you my top 5:
Honor, regret, new, secret, & solid.

And I just have to say Grave starts out nice but gets really kinda creepy at the end. LOL
Jester's Pet Oriole chapter 1 . 3/23/2014
Beautiful work.
ChildlikeEmpress chapter 1 . 3/23/2014
Omg this was amazing. Your writing is beautiful, and i loved reading about their possible family. (:
Holly's Mean Reds chapter 1 . 3/23/2014
Loved them all, but if you made a full length fic or even a one-shot of #40, I would die. That one made me stop and go "well, damn".
Gannicus chapter 1 . 3/23/2014
Thank you for all of these. Apples was the one that moved me the most, but I also liked Poison, with badass Beth. The only one that I didn't particularly enjoy was Ugly with the hinted Caryl. But overall a beautiful piece and I'll definitely reread this in the future.
Guest chapter 1 . 3/23/2014
I love it! Thank you for all this drabbles... it was like reading all the possible scenarios I'd ever like for bethyl, and more..
my favourite is "grave", the coffin one :)
Pls share again if you ever write more!