Reviews for Bear It Still For Me A While
shadow2wolfie chapter 1 . 10/17/2014
That was beautifully written! I loved the way you merged past thoughts with the present. I feel pain on his behalf even more so now. Knowing he will not return to his loved ones. Thinking of them in his final moments of peace.

I love Halbarad's interactions with Aragorn and vice versa. Halbarad is so committed to the Chief, and willingly going to fight for this mans kingdom knowing the risks, is very touching. He is the kind of friend anyone would be lucky to have.
sian22 chapter 1 . 8/23/2014
This is lovely. Well done, very atmospheric and touching
AmazingWriter123 chapter 1 . 8/21/2014
I'm trying out your practice for reviewing. I liked the way you wrote about Halbarad's flashbacks. Thank you for writing this!
TheRoadgoeseverOnAndOn chapter 1 . 6/26/2014
Really good.
EverleighBain chapter 1 . 6/14/2014
Okay I know this is a belated review but I'm going to plead Internet Causes. And just like the first (and second, and third...) time I read this story, this time it caused the same feelings of bittersweet nostalgia and ache and Joy. And the way you tie Halbarad's memories into the here and now of sailing up the river is subtle and crafty. I also love the details of Halbarad's endless practicality-hoping Arwen's dye can take a dousing and his repeated checking of the knots.

And I've said it before but I'll say it again-the way you write interactions between these men is completely masculine, but touching at the same time. You manage to give them lines that ring completely true for the strength and dignity of their characters without seeming sappy or melodramatic. I appreciate that tremendously!

As always, beautifully done, and I'm sorry it took me so long to review!
schur655 chapter 1 . 4/18/2014
There are few on this site who truly do justice to Tolkien's style of writing. A heroic gravitas mixed with emotion of everyday man. There is a quiet nobility in the way you write, it displays the way kings should be.

I thank you for posting this.
Snehalotr chapter 1 . 3/24/2014
That was sad, my heart clenched when I read "the far green hills where he would walk no more". I always admired Halbarad's courage and loyalty, to go forward when you know death awaits you is amazing! I wonder if Aragorn knew and how he would lament. I am going to go read your story of their reunion beyond the circles of the world again.
Canafinwe chapter 1 . 3/26/2014
Where are the words to describe how this story has moved me?

Well, to begin I have always cherished your depiction of Halbarad, and in this piece we see him at his best: courageous, enduring, steadfast and noble, and so very human. The memories of Miriel are particularly heartwrenching... "nor Halbarad to the Northlands, dour-handed Ranger"... and so timelessly beautiful in their simple homey love. The unspoken dread and the valour with which he faces what he knows is to come is so subtly and wonderfully drawn. My heart aches for him, and for those he will leave behind this day.

The details are wonderful. The description of the ship, the rise and swell of the river, the men, from the poor young seasick Ranger to those familiar figures from your other tales: I can see it all with such clarity, smell the wind off of Anduin, hear the creak of the rigging. And the awe Halbarad holds for his sacred charge is perfect. The standard wrought by Arwen has always been such a treasured artefact in canon for me. It is wonderful to see it treated with due reverence and with such a clear understanding of its significance not only to Aragorn but to the men who rode with him on this dark and desperate path; the perfect symbol of all their hopes come at last to the deciding moment.

And Aragorn, oh, Aragorn! Tending the seasick sailor, "ever the healer, even now", brushing against but never pressing the matter of their shared premonition, and the moment of kingly glory when he bids Halbarad unfurl the standard at last... elegant, eloquent, exquisite. Thank you.
Glory Bee chapter 1 . 3/25/2014
This was so powerful! Poignant too as we know that Halbarad did not live to see another day. :( Thanks for giving him what Tolkien never did, a loving family to carry on his legacy. :)
shadowbride chapter 1 . 3/24/2014
Wonderful tale.
miladyRanger chapter 1 . 3/24/2014
Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.
BrightWatcher chapter 1 . 3/24/2014
Beautiful details.

You created a rich scene that was a lovely read.

Good luck with your writer's muse!
Dinogeek chapter 1 . 3/24/2014
Of all of the deaths in those books, I think for some reason the one that broke my heart the most was probably Halbarad's. I think it was because he got so close, /so close/ to seeing the end and the victory of everything he'd fought for and he died before it all panned out. And then on top of that Aragorn is left with losing one of his best friends after they'd all lasted so long, right before they finally achieve victory. You did great justice to his character though, and this was a very well written and enjoyable story.