Reviews for Final Fantasy VIII- The Calm Before the Storm
Aerois chapter 7 . 8/30
I'm so glad to see an update! You do so well at capturing not just the characters, but the entire atmosphere of the game. The dialogue is written and the events are described in this way that makes it feel almost like these were just missing scenes we never saw. I loved Laguna showing up! That really is so him. And it's perfectly fitting that Squall can only finally cry around his parent. I'm glad you got your mojo back for this story!
Scribbleness chapter 7 . 7/23
Oh man, I think I died a little inside. Despite being a Commander of a whole army of SeeDs, Squall is still a boy who lost a huge chunk of his life, and then found it. This is really heartbreaking, especially when they visited Raine's grave.

"Maybe it was the fact that during the time his consciousness had been taken back there, he'd spent that time with Raine." It was that waking moment when he just realized it was the ONLY time he had spent with his mother did he realize how important it really was, and that she only lived in the memories of others. And that he can never actually be with her. Painful as it was, this has been a wonderful chapter.
Scribbleness chapter 6 . 7/23
Awwww! This is such as sweet chapter! You have reminded us that our favorite lovebirds are struggling with these kind of things at such as a young age, and they were having a hard time dealing with the truth. You did a good comparison between Rinoa and Squall and how they deal with issues together. I love that you didn't overlook Squall's careless tendency to tear himself away from Rinoa (and in one portion of this chapter, quite literally). But you portrayed him as someone who is quite easy to forgive (especially with the betrayal he felt with Rinoa confiding to Quistis) because even if he could be an emotional youth, he is smart, and open-minded, and he is willing to overlook all that for Rinoa's sake. Most of all, he'd do everything for HER sake, even if she insisted that he does it for himself. He placed her before his own interests. I really love this chapter! (And if only I can favorite chapters, I'd hit this one!)
Marin-sama chapter 7 . 7/23
I really liked this story! You portrait Squall really well. I've read other fics about this same moment, when Laguna tells him about being his father. You're the only one who wrote this scene with more people there with Laguna and Squall. I liked it very much, Squall doesn't know how to deal with his emotions, he tries to repress everything and sometime he just explodes. I like how Rinoa understood and supported him. He needs her so much. The scene at Raines grave, with Laguna was so beautiful. I liked very much how you wrote Squall going through his emotions, trying to sort them out and finally crying. He worries to much. It will be great to have Laguna close to him, when he realizes Laguna loves him no matter what, and he can really be himself. Thanks so much for writing this story! I'm going to read it all over again! I can't wait for the next chapters! (Sorry for any mistakes, English is not my first language).
Scribbleness chapter 5 . 7/23
Remember when I said I felt Squall's anguish for feeling unwanted! Well, good job at striking that same cord in this chapter, and more. The visit at the orphanage was unnecessary, but it felt like it was exactly what Squall needed. Though you didn't write that it was pure impulse following that revelation he just had, I somehow knew in this chapter. You gave us a very clear interpretation of what really made Squall the introvert that he was who was in constant pain. And now, in this chapter, that pain grew worse.

Rinoa, on the other hand, was in pain as well. And this is getting veeerrry interesting.
Scribbleness chapter 4 . 7/23
Okay, here I was, prancing about my day, logging in to FFnet to read this fic I'm quite rather excited about, thinking "Nah, she won't be revealing the truth in this chapter", and then BAM, hit me right in the feels. I understand Squall's dilemma, and why he really was angry in his discovery. And I know he'd think he was unwanted, and he deserves a hug. Even though everyone was there to give him the moral support he needed, the ironic truth was Squall felt alone in his pain. And I felt that in this chapter.

"I thought we were family, Ellone." This one really triggered it for me, like a punch in the gut. Must've hurt Ellone pretty bad, too.
Scribbleness chapter 1 . 7/23
Wow, I almost forgot how unwelcoming the FH Mayor was till you reminded me! Nice to see that there has been progress with this relationship especially with SeeDs. This is a nice chapter to build up that little suspense until Squall actually meets up with Laguna! Rinoa's really sweet and understanding to keep up with the different personalities of SeeD, especially of Selphie's. Lol
sone4nia chapter 7 . 7/22
Yay! It's back. Reading Squall's thoughts made me want to cry because I felt his pain.
Scribbleness chapter 2 . 7/22
LOL at Cid, already dropping hints at our Squally boy! Real slick, Cid. Way to go making Squall even more confused about all this, just as you have placed a heavy liability on his shoulders. (Then again, he's the most qualified for the position lol)

And poor Rinoa! Actually I never even thought how she's become an outcast after the final battle! Now it makes sense, of course she would be. She's a sorceress, and it was hard to trust a sorceress in a Garden! I apologize if I compare this with other fics, but most fics I read portrayed Rinoa as a war hero (as she should), but we are dealing with young SeeDs who may have easily overlooked this fact. And I like this new perspective. You just gave this story more spice!
Scribbleness chapter 1 . 7/22
I find it sweet that Laguna was really worried about Squall and the battle that he went through with his friends. He's that tough guy who just happens to be a dad and tries his best to be! I kinda feel bad for him and makes me worry about the next chapters lol!

I LOL'd at Selphie trying to catch Rinoa and Squall kissing! LIKE IT'S A JUICY SCANDALOUS MATERIAL! hahaha! Squall's "C'mere" came to me just as sultry as it probably did with Rinoa. And the end part did good in establishing what Rinoa and Squall meant to each other. Rinoa soothes him from his worries, and he ensures her safety as her knight. You laid out the setting quite nicely in this chapter!
SorceressEternityIII chapter 6 . 3/14
Following the story in case there's ever more chapters. Awesome story so far. Wish I had more feedback but I wanna know if what happens next is in another story.
Yume Abarai chapter 6 . 4/9/2016
update? T_T
Keegan chapter 6 . 11/24/2015
This Is one of the first of these that I've read, I'm obviously a massive ff8 fan, and I just wanted to say that I think this was incredibly well written, I think you obsoletly nailed the characters but especially Squall, it honestly felt like I was reading a script from square Enix, thank you for this, really awesome read, the only thing I would have liked is a bit more action, but I understand that that's not what this was about, are you planing on continuing the story?
miano53 chapter 4 . 11/22/2014
Well, that does seem like a realistic reaction from Squall.
miano53 chapter 2 . 11/22/2014
Well, I think it's probably high time for them to move or something if Rinoa's receiving that much flak.