Reviews for Queen of Anything
nightwindow chapter 1 . 6/9/2014
Wow! I just finished reading this while waiting for the next EA episode to air. You got both of them perfectly! While reading I really imagined Joanna and Brent as Emma and Alex arguing vividly. And I really liked the way you described her full yet so empty apartment!
This left me in even greater anticipation for the "Badly done, Emma"-episode! I am eager to discover possible parallels to your version. Thanks for writing this! (And if you ever happen to plan on continuing this: I'd definitely read it!)
LionRawrr chapter 1 . 5/8/2014
Awwww :( Poor Emma!
Besides that, well done! I really enjoyed it!(:
Forever Day chapter 1 . 4/12/2014
This was really great. I stopped midway to watch the two new epiodes I hadn't seen (unrelated to the reading) and coming back I was just like 'this girl can WRITE'. You pretty much put to paper all I don't like about Emma in EA (okay, Jane Austen herself did say that Emma was her least likeable character, but in the book I could sympathise and even identify. In EA, not so much)
(Break here while I went to IKEA so this review might be a little fractured)
Still, there's a lot I like in EA and you managed to get a lot of that in amongst great characterisation, fab description and, you know, BONE CRUSHING ANGST.
(I know I had more to say... ugh, my mind's full of beds and fabric and desks, sorry)
Anyway, is there any possibility of a happy ending for this? If you have no inspiration for it I understand, but I would really enjoy it.
Moonprincess92 chapter 1 . 4/11/2014
All throughout their fight, I found myself hating Emma more and more the way you wrote her. Like, how could she just keep on fighting like that, digging herself an even bigger hole than the one she was already in? But having read the book, I guess I can see how she'd end up at that point, and this really was the time she actually saw the light and realised that she'd royally screwed up.
... oh, did I mention that this story is amazing? Because it totally is! Beautifully written and heart-wrenching and I was absorbed every word, despite it's length. Loved it. :D
Musical Ravenclaw chapter 1 . 4/9/2014
Just... wow. This fic is such an emotional roller coaster that I don't know what to say, apart from I absolutely loved it! I have to agree with Alex during the Box Hill confrontation, and you made my heart break for him - and made it break again when Emma realises her own heart. Definitely going in my list of favourite fics. If I could rank them, this would definitely be in the top 10, if not the top 5. I'll be recommending it :)
nikatsu chapter 1 . 4/8/2014
Damn. I want more!
ice23hot chapter 1 . 4/3/2014
Whoa, this was intense! Great writing.
f.wentworth chapter 1 . 4/3/2014
Good Lord. You've fleshed out my headcanon EA Emma. She's definitely got a persona vs a private one we very rarely see. Ironically, one of those genuine moments was from Maddy showing her how much she is loved. It would be interesting to see how Emma can proceed to forget how much she means to Maddy later on.

As for Alex walking away from Emma in your fic, well, I can see him doing this 'for real' on the show; it's so logical. Besides your brilliant characterisations, I also love the all the meta references as well as inversions!

In a word: wonderful.
millernumber1 chapter 1 . 4/2/2014
Holy cats, a long Emma Approved fic! Yay! I like how you've externalized the implicit understanding of Box Hill as more than just a one-time bad behavior by Emma that Mr. Knightley is reacting to, but instead the culmination of him watching her flirt with Frank, wreck Harriet's life, and generally just degrade herself.

The apartment is great - love the details. Emma's secret Chinese food eating is great.

Emma in comfort clothes and self-medicating make me awww. Even this Emma can be a woobie, at least when written like this :)

Love the distinction between On Camera Emma and Emma. Especially in the way she's made herself her project, constantly policing her own tastes and actions as much as she does those around her.

Emma and Knightley arguing about exactly why Lifetime is awful was great. They're both right, but they can't really see each other's points. That tension is crucial to both why the show sometimes works, and why it often doesn't.

Walnut shrimp! (Which makes me wonder if Panda Garden is a real place)

The jab about Emma's IKEA furniture is great. Though I feel like you might have spent a lot of time researching Emma's apartment :)

Emma's scrapbook, and the way you've described her building it up, make me almost want the show to end with Knightley giving her a Lifetime Acheivement Award. Awww. Especially if she has a speech where she finally thanks Knightley.

Does Emma make her own gelato? Or just buy it from someone who does - Annie?

Even though I'm still not a fan of headhopping, the Knightley and Emma Box Hill confrontation is really nicely done. Messy and painful and full of memories, as it should be. The part where Emma flirts with him was a needle to the heart.

The callback to Izzy's comment about fights in a relationship was very nicely done.

All the movie references, not to mention Brett's commercials, are hilarious and spot on. Clueless, My Best Friend's Wedding - nicely judged.

Brilliant!
allboysshouldhavelonghair chapter 1 . 4/1/2014
oh my gosh, that was AWESOME! What a journey, I'm emotionally exhausted now (but in the best way). The angst, the miscommunicated feelings, the pain... I loved it!
JRB chapter 1 . 4/1/2014
Whew, that was intense. I was furious when Emma tried to flirt Alex into doing what she wanted and not leave her, and I was 100% on Alex's side throughout the entire argument. Unrequited love always has my sympathies, and I feel like your Emma is even less sympathetic than Pemberley Digital's Emma, who's always been remarkably lovable to me despite her manifold manipulative tendencies. Still, I teared up when she tried to leave that message on Alex's voicemail. I only hope that you will write a fitting conclusion to such a gut-wrenching story.
ouhusker7 chapter 1 . 4/1/2014
So much to like about this story! The process of Emma realizing exactly what she has lost in Alex, beginning to have an inkling of how badly she has treated him, of the empty and superficial self she has created. I hate to see her crushed-her "I failed" after Elton left made me hurt for her, and I'm dreading her eventual fall-but nothing less has a chance of opening her eyes.

This story helped me see a bit from her perspective, something I've been finding downright impossible. I don't "get" her-as with Lydia in LBD, she is so utterly unlike me that I can't for the life of me relate to the way she thinks-but with Lydia there was a basic decency and kindness, enough substance that I could believe she would emerge from her ordeal more strong and mature and beautiful (not in the outward sense-sorry, it's hard to put into words). I liked her, without really understanding her. Emma, on the other hand...harsh as it sounds, I see nothing good in her. Anything even vaguely promising is immediately undercut by her delusions or is contaminated by her consuming selfishness. She is so empty that I'm not sure what she's going to fall back on when the inevitable happens. I hope I'm wrong.

Thanks for sharing this story!