Reviews for Beautiful, Powerful, Dangerous, Cold
The BritCrit chapter 15 . 1/16/2017
For a "first piece of fanfiction", this is pretty good. Grrlgeek72 has provided several superior stories since (including "In the Reign of Anna of Arrendelle" which has several similarities to this fanfic), but "Beautiful, Powerful, Dangerous, Cold" is still a very entertaining read. As a story, it's essentially little more than a kidnap-and-rescue yarn, but Frozen's protagonists have enough depth and personality to make it interesting.

This story can often get pretty dark, and makes good use of its "Fiction T" rating. The murders, battles and water torture are already unsuitable for children, but this story goes furtherest in its portrayal of Hans and his plot for revenge. The scheming prince is even more villainous than ever in this fanfic, and has gone from being a backstabbing manipulator into a full-on sadistic psychopath. His enthusiasm about his plan to execute Elsa goes beyond merely seeking revenge - he's essentially trying to live out the sick fantasies which have probably been circling in his mind for years (So THAT'S why he didn't love Anna). Grrlgeek72 really puts a lot of effort into making Hans as despicable as possible in this story - it makes his grim comeuppance all the more satisfying...

However, there is enough adventure and excitement to balance out the dark stuff and make this fanfic really fun to read. Probably the best aspect of this story is the way Elsa is portrayed. In such an extreme situation, it would have been incredibly easy to make her into a damsel-in-distress, but she manages to remain strong and brave, and rescues herself in absolutely spectacular fashion. Let's be honest, seeing her stand up to Hans and use her newly-regained ice powers to take down his minions is the moment this fanfic was building up to, and it doesn't disappoint. I always love courageous female leads, and Elsa's inner strength in the face of such unpleasant circumstances is really inspiring.

Anna and Kristoff are not quite as compelling, but they are as likeable as usual, and have a number of memorable scenes (after all, they are the two characters who feature the most in this fanfic). Anna's struggle to look after the kingdom, her attempts to find her missing sister, and her horror and disgust at finding out Hans' plans are depicted very well, and some of her smaller moments (such as visiting her parent's graves) really demonstrate how much she wants Elsa to be safe. Kristoff gets some exciting scenes too, especially when he participates in the rescue efforts during the climax. Olaf also appears as well to provide a bit of light relief, but almost all his scenes are spent reminding us that if Elsa dies, he will die as well.

As entertaining and exciting as it is, "Beautiful, Powerful, Dangerous, Cold" has its share of weaknesses. Given that Elsa's love for Anna and her other friends keeps her sane during her ordeal, there should have been a bit more time at the beginning and end to highlight her relationship with them (given that Elsa's ice medallion of herself and Anna is so important to this story, we should have gained more information on why Elsa has it. Did she make it in the past, or create it in the prison?) Elsa's relationship with the healer Rana feels particularly underdeveloped, which is disappointing, as Rana is a likeable character. I am also a little annoyed that Anna is a completely passive spectator during the climax, but this is entirely necessary given how dangerous the quest to save Elsa is.

GrrlGeek72 is a very passionate and energetic writer, and "Beautiful, Powerful, Dangerous Cold" is full of vivid and cinematic descriptions and distinctive dialogue. However, the authors notes highlight the fact that she was still a novice when she wrote this, warning us about the use of PG swearwords such as "Hell" and "Damm", and warning us about the more violent content in scenes where Elsa is threatened and tortured by Hans and his band of thugs. We can cope with threats and swearing - I've read a number of "Fiction T" stories with even more extreme stuff in them...

Overall, in spite of its flaws, this fanfic succeeds in providing a memorable story with spectacular scenes, and gives us the thrills and tension we want to see in a good adventure story.
SharKohen chapter 15 . 6/14/2015
Thank you for this excellent story. I like the potrayal,the writing style and the plot. The inside thoughts of the characters were also pretty interesting.
WarriorQueen 14 chapter 13 . 5/2/2015
Wow, this was really good. Your characterization was amazing (too many times I've read stories where Anna's a complete ditz or Elsa's a nervous wreck) and I loved all the details you put into the plot. This is a very well done, in-depth, and realistic story and I can tell you took time to research for it (and finally someone agrees with me about July 14, 1840, I checked the moon phases too and I thought I was the only one).
RohnHazard chapter 15 . 2/16/2015
Re-read this most recent version. And I must say that it has greatly improved from the initial version. The additions and edits made the narrative smoother. Definitely a better read now.
Agent Awesome chapter 2 . 1/15/2015
[SPOILERS] Oh thank goodness she's not dead. You had me worried there...
Agent Awesome chapter 1 . 1/15/2015
She's not dead, right? Sh-She can't be dead, right? RIGHT?
Kaeso Corvinus chapter 15 . 12/12/2014
Very nice, I think it I like it more than The Spare.

Although, while there is something to be said for Hans' stony faced defeat, he seems like the type to have a more visceral reaction to seeing Elsa alive, or maybe he knows she's alive at his hanging? Still, feels like there's the one scene missing here because do I ever like to see Hans squirm.

Kudos again, it was a joy to read. I always like your characterizations (unlike some other stories that wound up on my reading list *grumble grumble*), especially Elsa. It's bad enough in some stories that tagging a story Competent!Elsa is a thing, unfortunately. A small aside, it was a nice twist with what you did with "conceal, don't feel." Looking forward to reading more of your work!
Darklightningstorm chapter 13 . 12/9/2014
A thoroughly enjoyable story. I am most pleased with how Elsa conducted herself. I had been somewhat worried that she would behave in an undignified manner.
denebtenoh chapter 3 . 11/3/2014
Oh wow loved it! loved Annas strength!
MagicOfDisney chapter 15 . 10/26/2014
Nice little story so glad Elsa was ok thanks for writing.
MagicOfDisney chapter 12 . 10/26/2014
Ohh that was a close one i was worried for a moment.
MagicOfDisney chapter 4 . 10/26/2014
Ah it had to be either Hans or the Duke. EVIL!
MagicOfDisney chapter 2 . 10/26/2014
Oh thank goodness she's not dead but very mysterious what happened to her?
MagicOfDisney chapter 1 . 10/26/2014
Oh my gosh no way you didnt just kill of Elsa did you?
Iceleaf13 chapter 15 . 8/30/2014