Reviews for An Innocent Man
Henry Vyne chapter 1 . 8/24
So. Here we are again.

Against my emotional health's better judgement, I thought it was about time for a re-read, and this time I will actually review!

But my goodness. Where even to begin.

This a fantastic introduction for a story, first off. Everything ties perfectly into the references we've had of Redbeard in canon, and it just sets you off into your (superb) writing style and (spot on) interpretations of the characters right from the get-go.

The parallels between Redbeard and John when it comes to their relationship with Sherlock are stunning and so prominent. You get a hint of them in S3 when Mycroft says something about it (can't remember what exactly!), but I never would've thought about it in so much depth had you not written this, so I'm very glad you did! What you specified about Sherlock riding too fast on his bike for Redbeard to keep up and experimenting on him so he lost a day and a half is SO similar to John - various chases (especially the handcuff one); the wedding speech where he actually -said- he made John lose a day... I didn't even really realise it until reading it the second time round.

You didn't let it be forgotten selfish Sherlock can be, even with something he loves so much, and especially how unaware he is to it at all, which is something people tend to skip over - so many kudos for that! You truly have a handle on these characters that I haven't seen anywhere else. Rewrite series 4 for me please!?

The ending of this chapter is just so heartbreaking and so. unbearably. true to how we see Sherlock in the show. It's the perfect explanation and backstory - he obviously wants someone and has superficial (at the LEAST) levels of friendships with people that he doesn't necessarily need to (Mike Stamford, Lestrade, Mrs Hudson), but not someone to be -with-, you know? He did with Redbeard and then he lost it and it kept him from having another one until he finally did with John and now i've got the point where i'm just explaining back to you what you yourself wrote so don'tmindmejustmeltingintoapuddleoffeelsoverhere

"Mycroft suspected that somewhere within Sherlock, deeply buried, a capacity for strong attachments yet lingered, waiting to resurface."

MYCROFT TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS PUT YOUR HANDS TOGETHER FOR THE REAL HOLMES DETECTIVE EVERYONE GO FIND HIM A DOCTOR SO HE CAN BE HAPPY MYCROFT

ughghghghg don't want to keep reading this i know what happens but i. need. this. in my. life. again.

ugghgghghghgdon'tbefooledbymywordsofpraiseistillresentyouforthisbeautifulworkoftorture
gabieblue chapter 1 . 7/23
I just wanted to say this is amazing. The writing is very character driven. There were times where I was just with John angry at Sherlock for leaving him behind, but then. I felt heart broken at just how lost Sherlock was without his best friend, his heart. Every time I read this Fan fiction is like remember this great classic that I found. It is just amazingly well done, just well done.
ProjectKITT chapter 11 . 7/11
Yet another good chapter :) I'm eager to get back to the present though, and see what exactly is going to happen now that John is out of prison. I feel like the aftereffects will be far from over, though...

Also interesting how you've been focusing on John more than Sherlock, and I love how Dr. Bell is acting almost as some kind of guardian for the younger doctor.
aewriteon chapter 42 . 6/7
BRAVO! I absolutely love this story. This, to me, is why fan fiction exists - to explore stories and alternatives that the source material has not explored. You have done such a good job with this story - it is well written, the characterizations are spot on, and the plot is so good! I could not stop reading. Thank you for writing this!
ProjectKITT chapter 10 . 5/10
Yet another good chapter! Really intense, this one... I didn't realize there was a nameless assassin lurking around somewhere; it kind of makes me think that maybe John wandering around by himself isn't such a good idea D:
ProjectKITT chapter 9 . 5/10
Ah, good chapter! I thought the boating trip was going to be a bit of bore but it turned around into something quite interesting quite quickly! Looking forward to more!
mooneysfate chapter 42 . 4/18
wonderful story! (an innocent man) and so believable and well written!
A tour de force masterpiece. If you only wrote one story in your lifetime, this would still have been a great legacy to give to Sherlock readers. I am excited to see that you have other stories available, and will go start reading one of them as soon as I refuel.
I thought the fairy lights would act as a night-light, but seems like they weren't needed.
I'm glad you explained that you "borrowed" a tiny bit of dialogue. I'd been wondering why the "thousand apologies" paragraph seemed so stilted, and so unlike your normally beautiful conversations.
Lovely, poignant chapter. Best line: "I will if you will."
I'm not sure how Sherlock and John both found guns for ch. 36, and you haven't explained that yet, but this chapter 37 has left me teary-eyed. You are good at bringing out the emotional scenes. Well done.
It took me quite awhile to build up the courage to start this chapter, knowing that it was going to be fraught with danger. I needed to leave the characters safe for awhile, similar to when I waited a year after the first Lord of the Rings book, before starting the second. lol. I'm still not sure why John didn't have Mrs. Hudson call Sherlock in the 70 minutes before the appointment with Moran, but hey, it's your story, and I'm enjoying it, so thanks for the entertainment.
Why doesn't John just call or text Sherlock to tell him that John is safe. This chapter ending is weird.
Watching this scene is bittersweet. From the outside, it would seem the easy solution to clearing up any confusion is just a few words. Not necessarily, "I love you," which would sound too romantic, but perhaps, "You are the most important person in the world."
1,126 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »