Reviews for Megami no Ooi (Is in the Eye of the Beholder)
Balthanon chapter 2 . 12/2/2015
Excellent continuation of Haigeki in my opinion- I really like the direction that you're taking this as you move forward. Ukyou and Akane are proving to be interesting and I like the concept of them supporting some of the victims of tenki removal. Some of Ukyou's behavior does seem a little internally inconsistent though when she's dealing with Ranma. I'm not sure if that is intentional or not, but she seems to waver between the distrust that she professes for the Institute/Ranma that she professes to reassure the Tendo and Saotome families and a simpler anger when she was dealing with Ranma directly.

One quick item that did jump out at me a few times as I was reading though- when you mention that Akane's memory loss takes her back to grade school, that seems like a lot longer than a year of memory loss would account for in this case. In the US the year before high school would typically be called middle school and in Japan I believe it is junior high school. Grade school drops all the way back to 6th grade and only being maybe 11 or 12 years old. I'm not sure if that was your intent or not.
the 1 u dont c chapter 2 . 9/3/2015
I read this and the only thing I can think is...

This Ranma doesnt sound like the Ranma from Haigeki.

Also, having Ukyo spew self righteous bullshit all over the screen didnt endear her to me in the slightest.

Akane wasn't put through surgery because she's a T09-3. That was just the catalyst. She was put under surgery because she could never accept Ranma as director.

It's complicated, but basically T09-3's can't disagree with the INSTITUTE. Akane isn't likely to ever acknowledge Ranma as director. This is in conflict. Normally it might not be an issue, but Kamiko, the professional magical girl psychologist, says that Akane is forming an ideological attachment to Artemis, a compromise of sorts. Once such an attachment is made, T09-3 become FANATICALLY OBSESSED with it. You can see the problem.

Even if Ukyo had a T09-3 implant, she would not have had to go through surgery, because she's not an angry little brat who can't get over her jealousy. I highly doubt she would be unable to accept Ranma as director.

Then you go on and have Ukyo rant about Ranma "running away"... WTF dude. Ranma ran from Shampoo because Shampoo was blatantly out to murder Ranma, and Ranma does do killing (usually).

Running away from Ukyo?. Ranma legit thought Ukyo was a boy, had literally zero inkling of what was going on, and in fact didnt even learn that they were engaged till almost a decade later. This on top of almost literally being carried away by Genma. That some running.

The thing that bugs me the most though? you completely ignore Haigeki Ranma's character arc.

At the beginning of that story he's an arrogant little shit who only cares about getting his.

By the end, she is a young woman willing to sacrifice very nearly EVERYTHING for the sake of strangers because they don't deserve to be punished for the crimes committed by a genocidal lunatic.

The person Ranma started as is very different from the person she ends the story as.

For this last reason alone, I really cannot see this story as a sequel.
Comnislasher chapter 2 . 9/19/2014
I'm glad you have Ukyou snapped Ranma off his "high horse" attitude
IMO it's Ukyo who rode a high moral horse here, not Ranma. Ranma pretty much already take responsibilitie for entire PPI and ALL the magical girls that affilates with it, not just single one like Ukyo or Akane. So Ukyo whole babling about "you bertray us, you bad, bad ma...woman" in my opinion pretty stupid and lack any sense.
Gibelyou chapter 2 . 6/2/2014
Hagiki creeped me the hell out, mind control has never been as detailed. Now we get to see the cost of even a victory against a mind controlling foe.

I'm looking forward to more of this.
Sunshine Temple chapter 2 . 5/13/2014
Alas no. This didn't really help with the cliffhanger at all.

That first scene reads transparently, disappointingly as an info dump. I mean Ranma literally pops out of the bushes in the role of narrator to explain to Ukyou why she did what she did.

It reads as very proforma, very "Ranma is here only because there are things she has to say to explain the plot."

It's too rushed, and feels like it does a real disservice to all that Akane, Ukyou, Ranma, and Yumiko have gone through.

And it's sad because you're more than willing to put in some work before the story actually starts. A bit more and you'd actually have a solid foundation. Instead between the time-skip and the lamentable lack of actually showing what happened to Ukyou, Akane, and Ranma it all reads so hollow.

There's a feeling that the writer is too eager to get to the new storyline at the cost of the characters.
Twiggy-Hoyden chapter 2 . 5/12/2014
Interesting idea, nicely written.
Guest chapter 2 . 5/7/2014
A little deviation from canon Haigeki, aren't Ranma supposed to morph to her Magical Girl Form, instead of becoming physically identical to Artemis? Not serious matter, just kinda bug me.
Guest chapter 1 . 5/7/2014
/me foaming at the mouth.

FANSEQUEL! FANSEQUEL! FANSEQUEEEEEL!
Sia chapter 2 . 5/6/2014
I'm glad you have Ukyou snapped Ranma off his "high horse" attitude and pointed out to him that he have abandoned Akane to others and wash off his responsibilities for her, as he go on and on why he had to done what he did to Akane and how he was too busy as a director, yada yada. I was starting to get pissed off with Ranma's lame excuses. Although, I wish you have made Ukyou more rough on him sheboygan she says that, cause that jerk deserves every second of it, when he is hit with the truth.

In the end, it doesn't change the fact Ranma have gave up on Akane. He chose to have "power" (to be a director) and to stay in the Institute, over "love" to be back with Akane. Actually, I can't see much love that Ranma have for Akane anymore. Something about the chapter, make it more like he feels guilty over what he did to Akane, but the love is no longer there. Seems more like Ranma have let power get to his head, whatever love and feelings he had for Akane is gone. If and when Akane remembers, she may forgive what Ranma did to her in terms of removing the her magical girl powers, but I don't think she can forgive him for abandoning her.
Dumbledork chapter 2 . 5/6/2014
Quite good so far. I know this story is centered on Akane, but I hope you'll add the Sailor Senshi and the Institute. I especially want to know what Ranma did about the fromer Director's politics of whoring out magical girls to the Japanese government. I can't imagine Ranma being okay with that.
FireInLife chapter 2 . 5/5/2014
Honestly, one of the things I wish Haigeki had done was show how most of the other characters dealt with Ranma's change. So I'm kinda hoping that we'll see more of Ranma in the future, even though she is clearly not a main character. Even a flash back would be nice :o

I'm also curious about Konatsu's situation, so I'm hoping that he (for now?) will also feature in some scenes.

It seems like Akane is remembering slowly, which is a good thing. It's a lot more interesting to read this way, as I'm uncertain as to what will happen next.

Ranma said that the Institute is for magical girls, so why are they providing medical aid for those who have had their tenki away? After all, the government isn't providing resources to house them, why should medical aid be any different?

It'll be interesting to see where you go with this. I should probably re-read Haigeki too, in order to refresh my knowledge.
Xylix chapter 2 . 5/5/2014
Nice to see another chapter. I left you a bigger review in a PM, but as a short here:

I think the starting segment with Ranma needs a fair bit of polish. This is a complex scene with complex emotions and I don't think you fully captured all the undercurrents.

I liked the scene with Ryouga and the one with Yumiko. I'm interested in seeing where you take things from there.

Overall, a fairly good chapter, and I look forward to reading more.
The Keeper of Worlds chapter 2 . 5/5/2014
Brilliant set-up and Ryoga intro;)
obsidian-fox chapter 1 . 4/20/2014
This story is very well written, and so far an excellent follow up to Haigeki. I look forward to reading more of it.

As the editor of Haigeki, I did get some extra insights on the technical aspects of the Haigeki world. E.g. many (not all) demons and devils also have an origin with variations of Tenki, e.g. focused on strength or sexual prowess or other aspects to the exclusion of all else. There aren't very many transformations that would qualify as 'safe'. And, indeed, even the magical girl's Tenki can't be considered such, but at least it leaves the girls human. :)
Radio Driver chapter 1 . 4/18/2014
Good goin, Ryley. Keep on keepin on.