Reviews for Wild Rose of Pepperinge Eye
TolkienScholar chapter 1 . 9/24
Hello! I adore this movie, and your title and summary really drew me to this piece. I love that you put some research into it; looking up name meanings is definitely something that helps me with character development, too. :) Just as a suggestion, you might want to put the A/N in bold to clearly distinguish it from the actual beginning of the fic, because I was slightly confused at first.

You have a knack for description, particularly with simile and metaphor. I liked the description of the motor cycle as "sputtering like a soda fountain on the fritz" and especially the Oz reference, "a Dorothy Gale in England's answer to Kansas, magical and free." The adjectives "magical and free" do seem oddly placed, though, coming after the reference to Kansas. You might consider "a Dorothy Gale, magical and free, in England's answer to Kansas." Just for clarity's sake.

There were a few places that sounded wordy to me. This phrase I think you could cut altogether: "causing all of them to wonder if she had taken complete leave of her senses." It throws me a bit with regard to the POV, and the phrase before it, "given the prim and proper villagers a bit of a shock," would make for a stronger ending of the sentence and paragraph. I feel similarly about "clapping her hands and laughing out loud at the delightful idea of it." You've spent quite a bit of time already on the personality of Mrs. Hobday and her response to the motorcycle, and that extra phrase seems a bit much. And this one: "She had not been blind to the children dressed up in the museum's armor, swinging at each other with swords and acting like a trio of monkeys." "She had not been blind to" would be more effective as "She had seen," because it's more concise. And the "trio of monkeys" bit sounds sort of like mixing metaphors; after all, they're playing at being knights, not animals.

I really love where you introduce that Eglantine is a witch, and how you emphasize that she did it for a real cause, not for something shallow. It makes her quite admirable in an unusual way. :) As for her little back story in magic, I felt like it really developed her character and between that and the war, it gave a strong motivation for her taking that correspondence course. Well done!

You did a pretty good job of summarizing the events of the movie while keeping it interesting and placing emphasis on the important parts. I love this: "Ah, now /there/ was a wild thing, indeed" referring to Mr. Browne. And this is beautiful: "A flawed man. A good man. /Her/ man."

The imagery with the Eglantine rose and the repetition of the word "wild" throughout this piece is wonderful. Very skillfully done. I love how she's redeemed him and shown him who he has the potential to be, and now he's showing her who she already is. Lovely.

Good writing! :)
NikitaKaralis chapter 1 . 3/14
Very sweet!
HAFanForever chapter 1 . 9/16/2014
Another good story of an aftermath following the events of the film. ;) Emelius's words about Eglantine healing, even if not physically and literally, sure make a lot of sense to me. It's kind of like how in Mary Poppins, the broken kite represents the broken bonds in the family, then when George fixes it, it represents how they have come together as a family once again. :)
Gracie'sMom chapter 1 . 4/21/2014
What a sweet story! Well done!
jesmaine chapter 1 . 4/17/2014
This is a beautiful story! And it makes me want to watch "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" again - it's been years since i saw it last. Thank you! :)
dorthekirsten chapter 1 . 4/16/2014
What a wunderful story!

When i grew up, Bedknobs and Broomsticks was the best movie ever... When I found it on dvd a couple years ago, I got so dissapointed, because they had Cut several of scenes... So my joy was grand, when I found the movie on ITunes last week, with scenes I had never seen before, and i most say, it still is an alltime favorite of mine...

And then to find FF that let the story live outside of the movie is just wunderful, lovely, fantastic... Thak you for this ️