Reviews for Guide to Hogwarts
excessivelyperky chapter 5 . 11/6/2019
Nice discussion of the need for more space, both to accommodate the apprentices and guests, and the garden to help feed them.
excessivelyperky chapter 4 . 3/31/2019
This is a very interesting portrait of the Founders indeed. One wonders if Aelfric had just barely escaped Lady Ravenclaw's scrutiny...
excessivelyperky chapter 3 . 5/29/2017
Well, the pile of cloth and the silver couldn't have hurt-I don't know any school that doesn't have a roofing fund, with not enough in it (especially before the invention of bond issues).
excessivelyperky chapter 2 . 4/11/2017
Neatly put together! Thank you for sparing us the vaulting details (I once had to listen to a 20 minute report on collarets, and it was not fun).
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 3/26/2017
Well, if Hogwarts was established when Geoffrey de Mandeville was raising hell during the fun Stephen v. Matilda years, Scotland might have looked a bit more reasonable. Nice bit of fun here.
IWantColouredRain chapter 5 . 3/25/2016
Good chapter but a bit short
hwyla chapter 5 . 3/14/2016
I would actually be surprised that Rowena did not insist on TWO gardens - one in which magic did affect the soil and one like you have mentioned. IF she really wants to study magic and its affects then this would be a great opportunity. Perhaps she did so later. And of course, she could always section off a part of the garden and 'enrich/affect' the soil there with magic to raise similar plants and study the affect magic has had on them.

I'll also assume she insisted that no magic could be used in the sowing or reaping, nor the everyday 'care' of the garden.

I have images of the 'herbal' gardens of medieval castles, but obviously Godric's Keep has long had a kitchen garden for foodstuffs.

It should be noted that ANY 'castle' garden of the time would eventually have been walled - if for no other reason than to keep out thieves (human and animal). Deer (from a nearby forest) are especially good at destroying a garden. So, really, the men have a point. A walled garden should have been anticipated.
hwyla chapter 4 . 8/3/2015
Well, Aelfric certainly seems to have something against the women. I wonder whether it was mostly a reaction to strong women not acting as submissive 'as they ought' in Aelfric's opinion. I know you said it will come up later. I'm not asking for advanced knowledge, just stating how it 'feels' to me. Hopefully, that was the feeling you wished to convey.

One thing that isn't mentioned - whether or not Aelfric was magical. Normally, I would presume so, however, I remember that your mercenaries are not necessarily magicals and it is happening during a time when the magicals had not yet separated themselves from the muggles. And 'wizards' were seen as wise advisors, but witches were not. They mostly were not involved with the ruling class - at least in most of the stories one reads. So, I can also see how it might be a case of early stages of the witch hunts.

It will be interesting to see what you do with this. Also, interesting to see what source is used for Salazar's leaving since Aelfric sees him in such a positive light.
hwyla chapter 3 . 5/28/2014
I like the touch that the first student was named 'Adam' - a feeling of a real beginning for the castle's turn as a school.

From 'your' canon for Saint Potter, this is a more natural way for a school to begin. Building a castle or keep for protective housing is very reasonable. That it would then eventually attract others makes quite good sense. And just as different locales which had their own castles eventually included reputations for various strengths, this one housing 4 talented magicals as its leaders would naturally draw those wanting to learn more of the art eventually. Only a cloister would be as likely to be a center of learning.

And I know that you have made its first student an adult, but consider the way children were sent off from home to be raised at another castle - predominately in a sort of hostage trade/building relationships effort. A good way to eventually get younger students.

I do wonder whether you are seeing Adam's coming as the true beginning of the school - or is that later once they have a real student body? I suppose I'm wondering what your timeline is on it - only because knowing you, you've already developed one. I'm guessing that IF we use JKRs timeline for Hogwarts founding of 991 AD, then I rather doubt that Adam came to Godric's Keep much later than 10 to 15 years before that since you seem to be opting for it to grow into a school. IF that's the case then he probably would have been born within the very first years after the Anglo-Saxons retook York.
Stromsten chapter 3 . 5/26/2014
I should think that Hogwarts and its children's school would have started like the universities: as an order to which youngsters were apprenticed before matriculating as adults. Indeed, the canonical existence of masteries and doctorates implies at least one magical college or university, such as the 'fictional' Pelby College at Cambridge (unplottable but located between Magdalene and St. John's.) The fact that Hoggy Hoggy is NOT the oldest British university is the anomaly.

The oldest public schools arose as preparatory satellites of the colleges. Reason suggests that Hogsmeade ought to be home to a University, encompassing the Colleges of St. Michael, St. Benedict, St. Scholastica, and St. Mary, named for the patrons of Godric, Helga, Rowena, and Salazar, respectively. Hogwarts Castle should be a picturesque ruin nearby, and primary education in newer buildings further afield. Why did adult education end here? Why is the school in the expensively maintained and extensively warded castle? I can only speculate that Hogsmeade was at some point deliberately burned to the ground, while the survivors managed to shelter in Hogwarts. This holocaust consumed all of the deans and masters of the colleges, and all the undergraduates. No further matriculation could occur. If the survivors included the schoolchildren and their teachers, then the recasting of Hogwarts Castle into Hogwarts School is explained, though in a manner at odds with the unbroken tradition implied in 'Hogwarts: A History'.

I hope this helps rather than hinders!
arisflame chapter 2 . 4/24/2014
Sounds about right, but given her own "habits", I imagine that there's a bit of Rowena's influence in the building process also.
hwyla chapter 2 . 4/24/2014
Oooo... I LOVE that you made it Helga who did the traveling! I had expected it to be either Rowena or Salazar. Not so much because I saw her as the 'duffer' as a 'homebody'.

And I can see how that might make her more open-mended, especially when it included drinking with muggle guards! That also makes sense that she would be the one to bring over the mercenaries - having 'contacts' and making them vikings does fit well with Scotland's (northern britain) norse immigrants. Now are they muggle or magical?

I can easily see her as the 'drinking buddy'. She has intonations of 'alewife' already with her closeness to the kitchens and the barrels (according to Pottermore? or I hope I'm not mixing up some fanfic somewhere) as part of the common room entrance.

But the idea that she was responsible for the actual stone idea and therefore a great part of the defenses, fits so well with the protective badger identity of her house - something that isn't really mentioned much in canon.

If you can fit it in somewhere, Hogsmeade is founded at roughly the time of the building of Hogwarts. According to the Lexicon, Henegist was fleeing persecution from muggles. That makes a great deal of sense then of your Hogwarts as a fortress first - with a village springing up around it (in this case on only one side of it - due to the forest on the other side).

This is LOVELY! And I still love the idea that the giants helped build! I don't think I mentioned it previously as I was so busy with the other details of Saint Potter, but it is a neat touch and cuts down on the need for scaffolding, even tho' I do think that placing the stones is one place where magic could be used in building without worrying about consequences from a 'finite'
hwyla chapter 1 . 4/17/2014
Oh you've hit on a piece of one of my pet theories - it doesn't account at all for Gofric ending up in Scotland, but it does give good reason for him to leave the south.

In Harry's first year of 1991, we are told the school was established 1000 years prior. And it just so happens that there is an epic ode written to a battle that concerns not just A Godric, but two. What I find especially convincing is the terribly 'Gryffindor' manner in which the English allowed the Vikings to first cross the river and land before attacking, despite this giving away their advantage. The English (well Anglo-Saxons) lost. One Godric was praised. He died defending the leader. Another Godric grabbed the leaders horse and fled calling retreat. He was apparently shunned for cowardice, despite the fact that his call for retreat probably saved whomever followed.

Can't put links here, but search for 'Battle of Maldon'. I just rather love the idea that Godric fled all the way to Scotland to make a new reputation. In truth, I think the retreat in this case was more sensible. IF they were going to fight, why give the Vikings the chance to fight on secure ground. I also love that the poem really shows how that Gryffindor 'pride' can work against one.