Reviews for Becoming
Cnonymous chapter 44 . 2/11
This is really an amazing and exquisitely detailed character study (and plot), and I regret having stumbled upon it so late.
ChuckAddiction chapter 44 . 12/30/2016
Fantastic work. I have enjoyed every installment of this superbly written, well, novel... Your insight into the character's motivations, the spy world in general and the nature of the Intersect have all seemed been spot on (to me).

I was saddened to see you setting up support for Season 3 in you Epilog(s), with Sarah terrified that she and her world will corrupt Chuck, with hints that Chuck does, or will come to believe that he has to step up to be worthy of Sarah and also make something of his life. Not that this is wrong, but I would really love to see the first 12 episodes of S3 turn out differently…

Love the crazy version of Orion too, with the time slips that both he (to a large extent) and Chuck (to a much lesser extent) experience due to use of their Intersects. Brilliant!

Really looking forward to Book 2… so many thanks for sharing all your hard work and talent.
Guest chapter 44 . 12/27/2016
Great to see you return with another wonderful installment.
Long may you continue, and hopefully we will see another very soon.
sevenrez chapter 44 . 12/23/2016
Merry Christmas! I was happy to read all those new chapters back to back! Thank you!
resaw chapter 44 . 12/21/2016
As I was reading this, I suspected almost from the beginning you were referring to Nicholas Quinn. Like you, I had noticed his limp, and your proposal that he was wearing a prosthetic leg as well as his seething anger, convinced me that this story was indeed about Quinn. The funny thing, though, was that I could only think of the actor's name: Angus Macfadyen. Nicholas Quinn would just not come to me until you revealed it.

"Song fic" is a new one to me and although I recognized that you made some reference to songs along the way, I did not make the connection you did between the lyrics and the characters.

I'm glad you are continuing. I've said that before, but I am so glad that I will have the opportunity continue to enjoy your writing, in all its density. Merry Christmas.
fezzywhigg chapter 44 . 12/21/2016
Sometimes, I feel rather dense not getting all the subtleties you put in your story. Please don't let that discourage you though because if I see it or you explain it later, they are a source of great enjoyment. I'm not sure I can get excited about Quinn per se with how devastating he was to Chuck and Sarah but I like that you set up a truly diabolical character so that he can be the character described by Clyde Decker at the end of season 4. I think the backstory you give him is great and give the reader insight into his madness. I also appreciated your introduction of the Ring and Quinn's future association with it. I wonder if he will be involved in the manipulation of Shaw? Thank you for a great Chuck book! See you next year!
Greg6419 chapter 44 . 12/20/2016
Greetings! I really admire the way you have begun to bring these loose ends together in a fairly short, straightforward chapter. Again, we seem to be on similar tracks, as I have always been frustrated with how the Quinn character just suddenly appeared, seemingly from thin air, to destroy everything. I also feel that as "First Date" was a critical juncture, I am glad you took the time to explore completely the nuances of the arc. I truly appreciate your "Beast" background arc also, as it exposes Casey's level of dysfunction and brokenness as being on level with Sarah's, and ultimately leads to his redemption by our favorite nerd as well.
I am eager to be re-introduced to Roan, as well as getting the scoop on Sarah's turmoil when Bryce reappears. The red (salmon) dress scene is a very telling scene for her, and beautifully sets up Jill's story line. Anyway, I eagerly await your tale, enjoy the holidays, and please do not feel obligated to reply.

Greg
devious418 chapter 44 . 12/20/2016
I'm going to (hopefully) start following Abraham Lincoln's philosophy of, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

Well done and thank you.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year!

See you next year.
Opaque-Cavalier chapter 44 . 12/19/2016
Nicely done with Quinn. I wish the show had foreshadowed his character, even as a bit of throw away dialogue, but since they never knew if they'd get renewed each year I can understand why there were no multi-season arcs. Of course, as a reader, more updates faster is what I want for Christmas! Thanks for a great story.
phnxgrl chapter 44 . 12/19/2016
Kudos upon the conclusion of your first part. I loved how most of the players are now set up. I can't wait for part 2 to commence. Please continue.
wilf21 chapter 44 . 12/19/2016
Now this was really interesting and with a surprise ending.
cavemenftw chapter 44 . 12/19/2016
You did a great job on this gigantic story. I really loved the changes each character grew in to over the course of Becoming and I can't wait to read more.

One thing I feel like I need to know. Is Nicholas Quinn a real character out of cannon. I only watched a little over three seasons and I am not familiar with that name. I know I have read another story with a Quinn in it and that makes me think he is a established character.

If it's a too long an explanation I feel like I'll be okay anyway because of the amount of detail you write into this story. Awesome job on this and thanks for all the work you put in.
baldcoder chapter 44 . 12/19/2016
Interesting chapter. Look forward to seeing where you are heading in Book 2.
Guest chapter 43 . 12/17/2016
I always found the irony of Chucks situation one of the most interesting aspects of his character. The idea that the things that have motivated him to finally want more from his life are also acting as an anchor as well. Not being able to move on from this menial job, not being able to pursue a relationship with the woman hes chosen, but at the same time unable to get enough distance to get over her either. I cant imagine the frustration or helplessness something like that would bring about.

Im also glad to see you expanding on the idea of the secrets hidden on the back of the poster, as thats one of my favorite scenes in the show. The minute he flips that poster over and we learn that he's not nearly as passive as we thought...Chucks playing his own game against everyone and hes playing it well. It was such a game changer for how we perceived him.

...looking forward to the next chapter!
resaw chapter 43 . 12/17/2016
An understated observation given Chuck is thinking about his own life: "The true problem was that he resided on a spectrum where that option existed at all."

I've never seen Tron and so the references completely ask me. But that's my issue. I suspect most fans of Chuck were already or soon became Tron enthusiasts.

I like the little detail about Chuck making up fake badges. It put a smile on my face. Despite all the craziness that Chuck has endured, he still finds opportunity to make light of his situation.

Chuck at his finest: frustration over the limitations imposed on a potential relationship with Sarah turns toward sympathy with the realization that Sarah has been dealing with those limitations throughout her career.

Once again, I appreciate the way you fill in the gaps with plausible details. Thanks so much for the way you keep going. Yours has been one of the most fascinating of Chuck fanfic efforts I have ever had the pleasure of reading.