Reviews for One Word
Kondoru chapter 1 . 8/21/2009
Yep, if its anything, more than a quick visit to ME makes you a philogist.
Marnie chapter 1 . 4/8/2003
OOh! The arrogance! Can't be bothered to learn the language... Enters the country of another race and expects them to speak his?

And he is only gagged because even now he will not attempt to use his few words of Sindarin to begin the process of learning. How colonial! He could almost be English ;)

I hadn't thought before, but yes, Elu Thingol's dictate was quite a subtle stroke - by denying the Noldor their language he negates their whole culture.

Serve 'em right, that's what I say!

(The tone of this review might have something to do with the fact that I read your other reviews first. Bunch of Noldor-sympathizers!) ;)

Brilliant story - I thoroughly enjoyed it!
shirozora chapter 1 . 3/23/2003
this is aramer who wrote Maiden of the Simaril. this is so sad...feel so sorry for that elf. really, its depressing. anyway, what is mary sue? mearas-fea did come from Valdemar with slight twists because the spirit horses can be ponies *wink wink to Bill* and fate is fate. overall, that fic was super sad and i feel pity for that elf. *sob*
Gemgold chapter 1 . 2/11/2003
Excellent story about language and identity and the importance of self-expression by speech. Very good use of the possibilities offered by in the original Silmarillion text. And as tragic as history, with its many broken bridges of understanding.
Suzine chapter 1 . 1/5/2003
Simply lovely . Clear , to-the-point , enchanting . Fan-fiction at its' best indeed .
BurningTyger chapter 1 . 12/29/2002
In a word, powerful. I love the perspective of the Noldor, that they "are also a people," that they have songs and stories and a language all their own. And I love the tragic helplessness as the Sindar pass on only the dark parts of the Noldorin history. "But I cannot say a word." Excellent.
Sunsong chapter 1 . 12/5/2002
This is a work of art. I will say no more, it would be damning you with faint praise.
Emma chapter 1 . 11/27/2002
This is interesting indeed, and gives one a clearer view at the hostile relationships between the different Elves in Beleriand.

I loved it.
Ladytremere chapter 1 . 11/22/2002
This is beautiful. Not enough people write about characters and events from the Silmarillion. I love when I stumble across things like this.

I'm sorry I have very little helpful to say as far as criticism. I'm too happy about it.

I'll check out your comic. :)

-Angie
Eledhwen chapter 1 . 11/22/2002
Lovely. Really lovely.
Victoria Hughes chapter 1 . 11/18/2002
Wow. An excellent point about language, actually ... sometimes one word can give everything away. I study Japanese but my understanding is severely limited, but sometimes if I can read just one word in a sentence, I understand the whole thing. In this case, one word - Kinslayers - explained everything the family thought of him.

What a sad story. Dark and terrible, indeed ... I'm not familiar with the whole Silmarillion (I'm about halfway through it), but I assume the main character cannot say a word because of the ban on Quenyan? Why does he think this ban wisdom?

Pardon me, those are probably the questions of an uneducated individual, but I had to ask them.

Very nice introspection, and masterful diction; I especially appreciated how you referred to the Noldor as 'crafty'. I loved the contrasts you provided, and the way he talks about certain things, such as 'Sun-years'. Would a Sindarin elf also call years 'Sun-years'? Perhaps, after eternal twilight ... but I liked the word nonetheless.

Very nice! And the continuous use of the theme was also excellent. Thank you for that lovely piece. Not enough people take the time to read the Silmarillion and appreciate it.

Vikki
Finch chapter 1 . 10/27/2002
Thranduil's decision to ban Quenya always struck me as disappointingly primitive, but it is this story that makes it profoundly clear what effect such measures dan have on individuals. Though the Noldor eventually did learn Sindarin, even without the ban (which only applied to Doriath) many must have had a very difficult time in the beginning. For a race calling itself 'Speakers', such absence of verbal communication must have been especially painlful.

Additionally, this is one of those rare fanfics that make direct and valid observations about our primary world. Well done!
Aerlinnel chapter 1 . 10/25/2002
Oh, *wow*, Joan. This is a gem of a story: concise, and yet saying everything that needs to be said (no pun intended, there).

I would hazard that the ability to communicate is a thing especially dear to any sentient being, and to have that stolen away from you is a prison that I can't even imagine. And then, to understand only one terrible word out of a flood of meaninglessness, and know that you sit there dumbly as someone twists the story of your family into a tale of malice and hatred, and to be unable to correct him...(shudder)...
erunyauve chapter 1 . 10/25/2002
What an interesting fic - in several ways. It always seemed rather odd to me that the Noldor gave up their language. Though they were, in a sense, immigrants in Beleriand, they were lords of their respective realms. While it is understandable that they would learn Sindarin, I find it odd that more did not do as Turgon did, retaining their birth tongue in their homes. In contrast, consider the Sindar and Noldor (in the case of Lórien) who lived among the Silvan Elves. In Lórien not only did they not learn the language (Amroth is a possible exception), but wiped out the native tongue. In Mirkwood, according to Tolkien's last words on the subject, the native tongue survived, but Thranduil's house spoke Sindarin (though Legolas, at least, probably knew both languages). With their ties to Thingol and complete lack of guilt in the Kinslaying, it is understandable that Finarfin's children would adopt Sindarin. Moreover, many Sindar lived in the lands over which Finarfin's sons took lordship. The Fëanorians, however, would have little reason to adopt Sindarin (other than as a necessary second language). One would think that they had few Sindar in their lands (if anything, they might have had some of the Nandor). Though it is possible - even probable - that they spoke Quenya among themselves, they adopted Sindarin names. In The Shibboleth of Fëanor, it is said that elves did not like to address those who normally spoke Sindarin by a name in Quenya; the opposite should also hold true - if the Fëanorians retained Quenya as their usual language, they would not be addressed by Sindarin names.

I also find the use of Fëanor's Tengwar interesting, as does your fictional elf. That they would repudiate the language of Valinor because Fëanor and his sons spoke that language, yet adopt a writing system invented by Fëanor himself seems a bit odd.

The story itself is quite provoking in a 'real world' context. It is difficult, I think, for those of us who speak English as our native tongue to understand what your elf is experiencing. Rarely do we find ourselves in a situation in which we cannot communicate. In the modern world, one must step far off the beaten track to find oneself in a place where no one speaks our language. In addition to his frustration, your unnamed elf finds himself among those who hate his people for a crime that he presumably did not commit, and without words, he cannot change their perception. If there is an overriding theme to Tolkien's work, it is that language is the key to understanding a people - it reflects our culture, our history and our beliefs. Thingol's ban was more than a fit of childish pique, for it placed a barrier stronger than Melian's magic between the Sindar and the Noldor. Your elf sees this; language itself is one of his people's most beautiful creations, and the elves who have been so kind to him will never see this beauty.
The Evil Old Woman chapter 1 . 10/25/2002
Excellent! Particularly the ending, that was perfect.