Reviews for Death of a Thousand Cuts
YoruichiGoddessOfFlash chapter 28 . 8/12
It was... good?
Whyhow chapter 24 . 7/1
I can imagine Azula doing that complex legal procedure just to officially get custody of Zuko since he is supposedly too incompetent to run his own life. The best part is that my initial question was Ozai's opinion about it, but he probably wouldn't care.
Whyhow chapter 13 . 7/1
I really like your interpretation of Ty Lee.
Whyhow chapter 10 . 7/1
I doubt that Jin is an assassin, but we don't know enough about her to actually confirm anything. My only real problem with this chapter is that Azula says "wut," which seems out of character.
Whyhow chapter 7 . 6/29
Azula's section was the best part, but Ty Lee's was so in character that it made me laugh too.
Whyhow chapter 5 . 6/29
My favorite lines this chapter include "Zuko decided to feel some very sarcastic sympathy for her," and "He wasn't clever enough to have an existential crisis on his own..."
Whyhow chapter 4 . 6/29
I tend not to like romance, but this is very funny so far. The actions of the characters seems plausible, and their thoughts are hilarious, if not necessarily what we might expect them to think.
Whyhow chapter 3 . 6/29
I like the idea that Mai numbered her sighs, presumably when she was bored.
Righteousham chapter 28 . 9/7/2014
Hello and good day,

Well it certainly has been a while, if you'll allow me the presumption that you actually remember our brief exchange some months ago; this review will therefor carry an air of familiarity. In truth I'd read this story back in June but didn't have the time nor energy to submit a proper review. I made sure to keep it in mind since then and on more than one occasion found my thoughts drawn to it while at work or when reading something else. I've recently reread it to refresh my perspective, so let the review begin.

Right from the beginning the differences between this and Retroactive are obvious, and please do excuse the comparisons, but as it's the only other of your stories I've read I found myself continuously struck by this. It was at once, similar (style, voice, structure) and utterly alien (tone, flow, density). It was also obvious fairly early on that this was a story you seemed more adapt at telling. I don't mean to disparage Retroactive - recall I did love it - but there were problems. Most of which stemmed from your inexperience with world-building in large narratives.

You seem right at home with smaller character focused stories such as this. Basically that means I've no criticism regarding your plot. In fact I found it quite perfect. A story such as this could easily be slotted into canon, something I suspect you were aiming for in its telling.

As to the characters themselves: You have one of the best grasps of characterization I've seen from authors in this fandom. By this I mean that you're quite skilled at taking the core tenets of a character (such as Zuko) and effectively showing us another aspect of said character; enabling them to be used in a broader sense without ever being said to break them. Mai too is a perfect example of this.

Upon my first viewing of the series Mai was not a character that made much an impression on me one way or another. However, on my second and later third viewing I began to appreciate the subtle nuances of her attitude and actions more. Even with that in mind, she never really was one I'd rate as being in my top three (Sokka, Azula and Toph if you were curious) or even one I'd particularity care to read about. I might've been more liable to pass this story up for that reason, if I wasn't already familiar with your work from Retroactive.

I've read stories with Mai in them of course, but never before can I actually be said to have truly appreciated her portrayal. You took what we know of her from canon and really threw in a lot of context while appropriately extrapolating responses and behaviors based on said context. Despite Mai's rather dour, and let's be frank, oppressive upbringing you managed to keep the tone light and the dialogue snappy.

Which brings me nicely to my next point: This was a comedy; a romantic comedy of all things. Here's a fun personal fact about me: I hate romcoms. Yet, at more than one point I found myself literally laughing out loud. Immediately following that would be the thought, "this is the same person who wrote Retroactive?"

Speaking of things that kept me surprised. I've seen Azula in character before (plenty of stories for that) and I've seen her funny, but I don't think I can say I've seen her both at the same time done so consistently well. Vague notions of incest aside, I really liked what you did with her here. The scene where she was describing the perfect girl for Zuko and not realizing she was basically describing herself was comedy gold and all the more so for Azula lacking enough self-awareness to realize that.

What else can I say? Well, you had a few minor grammatical problems, typically they took the form of dropped letters. I remember a "her her" that was most probably meant to be "her here", but nothing that overly detracted from your work. I liked the inclusion of the planning document as the last chapter. I love getting into the nuts and bolts of the writing process and seeing behind the scenes, so to speak on what the author was thinking.

Soon I'll have to make a point of going through your backlog, I did glance at it seeing several things that I'd want to read, but if read I shall feel compelled to review lest my conscience chide me passively. It wears on me like Chinese Water Torture, light but persistent. My backlog of stories I need to review is longer than I'd like, mostly due to my lacking the time to sit down for this.

In any case, do keep writing.
Dis-Appearing Writer chapter 25 . 7/17/2014
"You two fight, I go potty" and than I picture him waddling away like chubby baby penguin. Adorably funny.
Dis-Appearing Writer chapter 20 . 7/17/2014
I'm sorry, stick what up where and light what up? Lol
Dis-Appearing Writer chapter 3 . 7/16/2014
So quick question, "glorious glutes?"
Dis-Appearing Writer chapter 2 . 7/16/2014
Kind of funny how they got so excited about the end of tea. Lol
Dis-Appearing Writer chapter 1 . 7/16/2014