Reviews for Lei Thi O from Disney's Frozen (Sindarin cover by Lindir o Imladris)
Reptile Princess chapter 1 . 9/23/2015
This is the most gorgeous poem i have EVER read on this site why would you APOLOGIZE for it?
everLI7 chapter 2 . 5/21/2014
This is just absolutely AWESOME!
insertappropropriatenamehere chapter 2 . 5/16/2014
This work is a piece of art and I'm really glad you put in the no one is this effing literal translation because it helps quite a bit. Also, would you mind if someone ended up trying to sing your translation one day?
Jasmine Scarthing chapter 1 . 5/9/2014
Older Annie: I'm never going back, the PAST IS IN THE PAAST!
Let it go, let it go, I'll rise like the break of DAAAWN! Let it go, let it go...

Me: The perfect girl is GONE!
HERE I STAND, IN THE LIGHT OF DAAAY!
Let the storm rage ON!

Older Annie: The cold never bothered me anyway.

Me: Wonderful job, Las! Albeit a bit confusing.
Guest chapter 2 . 5/5/2014
I am very entertained. Thank you!
EverlastingProcrastinator chapter 2 . 5/4/2014
Wow...Cool!
Anyway, thanks for the critique! I'm looking at my story, and working it into paragraphs! My eyes are thanking you.
dreamingfifi chapter 2 . 5/3/2014
There’s a second chapter, so I’m back!

“Sí avon nedh’ared[1] han[2]”

[1] There are actually several ideas I’d like to address here: which dialect are you using? There is a rare sort of mutation, “DH” mutation, which is using in Doriathrin and more Sindarin than Exilic dialects. Using “ah” made me think you were going for a Sindarin Elf flavor, but not using DH mutation makes me think Noldorin Exile or Gondorian speaker. The other thing is: There’s a much better way to translate this idea, “holding in.” There’s “heb-” from the famous phrase, “Ónen i-Estel edain, ú-chebin Estel anim.” And there’s “glenia-” which means “to enclose, bind, limit.” Both of these don’t require “in” to be used.
[2] This is a point where Thorsten and I disagree. I think that “it” in Sindarin would be “ten” and he thinks it’d be “san.” Either way, I think that the pronoun should proceed the verb.

“Avon adgened[1]”

[1] I’d use “dan-” for “back,” because “ad-” is more like “re-/again.”

“i-phith bain ú-charnar nin[1]”

[1] Pronoun-verb word order, again.

“i-Chelch gîn ú-drasta nin[1].”

[1] Pronoun-verb word order, again.

No vaer!

dreamingfifi
dreamingfifi chapter 1 . 5/3/2014
Hi! I've been studying Sindarin for the past... 13 years? Goodness, it's been a while. I run the website realelvish dot net (Merin Essi ar Quenteli!) and it makes me really happy to see more Sindarin students out there!

One note on your resources: The Dragonflame dictionary is fantastic, but outdated. It doesn’t include words from Parma Eldalamberon #17, or any later publications, which limits your translations a bit! I suggest using elfdict dot com, which combines several trustworthy sources to make a massive dictionary that is incredibly useful.

I really like that you're treating Sindarin like a language, and not a cypher, the way most people I see "translating" do. That being said, I spotted a few errors that I thought I should bring to your attention.

"Im thlein[1] sui i-chûl[2] ah[3] i-venel[4]”

[1] “Lhein” is Noldorin, not Sindarin. The normalized Sindarin version is “lain”.
[2] I think you mean “sûl,” not “hûl” for “wind.”
[3] This is an important place to mark dialect. Tolkien made 4 different Sindarin words for “and.” “Ah” seems to have been tentatively replaced later on with “adh,” then “a” and “ar” for the Gondorian and Exilic dialects. By the way, “and” triggers mutation.
[4] “Menel” isn’t really the “sky”, it’s the firmament above the sky. We’ve lost this concept in modern times because our space-age has proven thoroughly that the idea is bunk as a flat earth. Basically, it’s the theory that above the sky, there is another ocean enveloping the planet. In that ocean floats lamps, which make up the stars, and other, bigger, glowing objects (often being carried or pulled) that makeup the sun and moon. This is where Eärendil is sailing with his Silmaril. So, this doesn’t really match with the idea of openness that the line is going for. I suggest using “gwelwen”, the word for the air beneath the firmament, when the wind stirs and the birds fly.

“Sí benion in[1], ah erdarthathon[2]”

[1] When the direct object is a pronoun, it appears to proceed its verb. I also have a theory that the -n triggers nasal mutation, but not everyone agrees with me on that.
[2] “Er-“ should cause “darthathon” to mutate, either vocalic mutation or liquid mutation. Either way, it’d end up being “er-dharthathon.”

“i-Chelch gîn ú-drasta nin[1].”

[1] Again, I think that the pronoun should procede the verb, making the phrase “nin ú-drasta.”

“A eriathon sui i-aur[1] vreithol”

[1] There are several words that are less ambiguous that you can use for “sunlight.” There’s “glawar” referencing the holy tree it comes from and “ast” which is the word for the light and heat of the sun.

“i-thlaes[1] dínen[2] sí linnol[3].”

I like the creative re-do on this line!
[1] “Lhaes” is the word for “baby.” I’d go with “child” – “hên.”
[2] You’re using “tínen” mutated and didn’t forget to mutate “dínen”, right? The two versions of that word never fail to confuse me.
[3] You just tried to make English’s present progressive tense. Sindarin doesn’t appear to have this tense, so it’d be translated with the simple present tense.

“Sí erdarthathon[1] nuin[2] arnor[3] glân[4]”

[1] Same mutation problem as before.
[2] We say “the sun” in English, but since it’s a name in Sindarin, the “the” isn’t needed.
[3] Typo/simple oversight – “the sun” is “Anor.” “Arnor” is a Númenorean kingdom in Middle-earth.
[4] Forgot mutation.

All in all, I was delighted that I could read this and understand what you were trying to say without having to look at your notes. Of course, I looked at them when writing the critique, but you’ve managed what many have not: an intelligible Sindarin translation.

No vaer!

dreamingfifi
Winterfell chapter 2 . 5/3/2014
This was really interesting. Good job with the translations!
DragonOwl chapter 1 . 5/2/2014
Wow! You're amazing to have gone to so much work! I loved your translations as it seemed to stay similar to the original but not too much that it sounded strange. I especially liked the part where it it said 'the silent child now is singing'.
EverlastingProcrastinator chapter 1 . 5/2/2014