Reviews for Siren
Jen Littlebottom chapter 1 . 5/21/2003
Heh. See, when it's written as well as this, I don't mind mermaids and fae. :)

In the heart of constructive critism, the only line that popped out in my mind as not flowing as smoothly as the rest was:

'grotesquely twisted and busted'

I think it's the word busted. It doesn't seem to fit with the mood of the rest of the piece - it's too - harsh?

*shrugs* That's the only piece of constructive crit I can think of, sorry. :) You'll have to do with more random mindless praise.

*Insert Random Mindless Praise Here*

Nen-Edhel :) And I like that she wishes to swim besides sharks as well as porpoises. All Ulmo's creatures have a place in this world, even those with sharp teeth.
Soledad chapter 1 . 12/27/2002
Wonderful! How have I missed this story all the time? Bad me! An interesting idea, well-written and moving - what else could one ask for?
Forget Yesterday chapter 1 . 12/26/2002
Beautifully written. I am jealous.
Thalia Weaver chapter 1 . 12/4/2002

Oh. My. Illuvatar.

Are you in my BRAIN? Have you called the THOUGHT POLICE? I thought I was the *only* one who thought Ulmo was incredibly cool! The Lord of the Waters is possibly the coolest character in the Silmarillion and LotR (excluding, of course, Aragorn, who remains the hottest, most incredible, most amazing...*drool*) and I *adore* him- I'm INCREDIBLY glad to see him so well represented by this awesome bit of fanfic!

P.S: I wrote a ficlet about Ulmo too...*blushes*

P.P.S: Ch. 14 up of Entling! Yay!
Mouse chapter 1 . 11/18/2002
Lovely! An orignal story and delightful read. Good stuff!
Mikki chapter 1 . 11/5/2002
Guess who decided to get off her butt, come to your site, and comment? Well, most likely Isa, but I guess I'm here too _

Personally...I think the only flaw is...well there is none. Maybe one for being too well written, but thats it. I am in a little Greek Gods/Goddesses funk (along with an Arthurian Times funk including Merlin and Morgan le Fay) so this was perfect to read in order to feed that hunger. Great stuff Sammie!
Cirdan chapter 1 . 10/28/2002
Well done. :) We have music, we have water, and we have Ulmo. What could be better? The tale has a great feel to it, very much like a fairytale of how mermaids came to be. I also like the way the tale is told without drawing out the angst. We don't hear about how Siren go on and on about how her legs are useless. We don't even know how it happened. (Maybe during one of Morgoth's attacks?) We just hear that it is. I thought Ulmo was great in this piece. _ He's so very compassionate (especially compared to the other Valar).

*bow* Thank you very much for the tale. It adds well to the fandom and selfishly adds to my interest in Ulmo and the Sea Elves.
Finch chapter 1 . 10/28/2002
So this is how mermaids/sirens came into being... a beautiful Elvish legend, and a missing piece of the mythology filled in. Well done.

(But yes, Maeglin Maglor or Dairon.)
Ellipsis chapter 1 . 10/27/2002
*claps* Wow...have you told Cirdan this is up here? perhaps I missed the announcement. Anyway, great little Ulmo fic.

One nitpick: you call Maeglin a great musician... shouldn't it be Maglor? "She scaled the octaves, producing sounds both higher and lower than the great musician Maeglin." I figure you just mistyped. Anyway, nice job!

- Ellipsis, who wishes her muses would help her think of a birthday fic
morchaint chapter 1 . 10/27/2002
Wow! this was excellent. Beautifully written. Only one tiny thing that confused me, I don't think that Maeglin is a musician. Daeron and Maglor are.

Or it could be I confused myself. But anyways, this is a wonderful piece.
Shannon chapter 1 . 10/27/2002
This has got to be one of the best lil pieces of work I've read of yours! XD Keep it up!