Reviews for The Metropolitan Man
Boulder chapter 13 . 3/9
Fantastic story enjoyed every word
obscurereader chapter 11 . 2/9
Hmm interesting story, sad that Lois has such little empathy
I've always been of the thought that to do what you feel is right even in the face of mockery and the dread name "coward" is the opposite of cowardice.
This was a hell of a story... Gritty and realistic without going into the fantasy land that most "gritty realism" stories find themselves in. Superman legitimately tried to do good, but the good the world really needs doesn't come from being invincible and being really good at punching things. On top of this, he tried to take on the responsibility of solving all the world's problems himself, which is so beyond what any person can do. It's liable to break a person in the attempt... No shortage of activist burnout in the world, but when it happens to someone who could kill with a thought...

Then you've got Lex, who's very logical, likely a sociopath, and *terrified*. In some ways, it's hard to fault him... If you don't know that Superman is as Paragon as he is, but know the threat he could present, having a counter becomes a necessity. But his methodology is perhaps where he crossed the line, even if the worst mistake wasn't his own.

And Lois? Man, the hand delt her *sucks*. And while supes perhaps didn't *know* that he was hurting her, he did. A lot.

In the end, Superman broke. He realized that the only way to impact change with his powers was to become authoritarian, a realization made by many a government in the past. Perhaps he would have been a good king, a just one, but a king he would have become. Do we value freedom over equity? Security? How much must we value each? Personally, I mind find myself leaning into a supportive superman god king, but it still terrifies me.

And the thing is... The only other ways it could end? Superman giving up or... What happened with Lex? Well, hardly any other way this story could have ended, methinks.

And now Lois is free.

But the cost?

Well, that can only be measured in greys.

A wonderfully entertaining tragedy, through and through.
eemmaatt33 chapter 13 . 1/27
Simply amazing! Very satisfying to read and a well thought out story.
YaBoiMitch chapter 13 . 12/16/2021
Damn. This was beautiful. And awful. Bravo
PappyOldGuy chapter 13 . 11/17/2021
Interesting and (well enough written in my opinion) a very good story. I like it, I like it a lot! It seems to be meshing the realities quite well, and I can hardly wait to read more from you. I do know this, when someone who is not the creator of a character, writes about them, it is to have them do something that the creator doesn't want to or didn't think of. I know that I always think of my favorite characters doing things, I have never read of in books or seen them doing in movies. I think it is fantastic that others (here in "FanFiction") are actually writing their stories of what they want them to do in a "What If" world. For those who complain that the characters would not do this or that, forget them. You need to write this first for yourself, and then for the rest of us who do enjoy your take on what just might, could, should, would and probability (if a frog had wings, his ass wouldn't bump the ground nearly so often) can happen. I do know this as well, I am enjoying it and will follow such stories as long as you will write them. Also, do NOT feel pushed to post, sometimes the words and thoughts just flow and sometimes you have to cogitate for a bit. Just learn to let them grow at their own pace and those of us who appreciate them will be here to read them when they are posted.

Thank you so much for sharing.
PappyOldGuy chapter 1 . 11/14/2021
An intriguing start to what promises to be a interesting story. I have read quite a number of "FanFiction" stories, and many have been enjoyable. It looks like it will likely take a few chapters to get all your main characters and store line fleshed out, but with the hints provided I like where I see this going.

Thanks for sharing!
Guest chapter 13 . 10/10/2021
Hard to believe Superman wasn’t using his time distortion to make a frame by frame assessment of Lex and Mercy in the final moments if he used it minutes before to have a conversation. Maybe I misread something, but that seemed out of place. Otherwise, fun read.
HotDog Smoothie chapter 13 . 9/28/2021
well that was good
Mr. Pages chapter 13 . 9/12/2021
This was so wonderfully rational.
The characters make sense and the methods are well thought out 10/10
Cristopherreeves chapter 1 . 9/9/2021
Loved the way the story is written. Superman is not written to be an idealistic fool he is idealistic but not a fool.
Story of how a manipulative man and a bitch on her high horse killed Superman. I enjoyed is a lot. Lois is probably the most evil character in the story more than even lex . She is the very definition of hypocrite. Loved her character.
Loved how you portrayed lex . Clark chose the wrong girl.
Dumbledalf chapter 2 . 9/9/2021
She is so conceited to believe a powerful alien will desire her.
Guest chapter 13 . 9/9/2021
Great story. I like it way less with that ending though
sk8erade chapter 13 . 8/2/2021
I have never been a fan of superman/most capeshit but this was absolutely fantastic! I stayed up til I passed out reading it and slammed the rest in the morning, it was so engaging.