Reviews for The Metropolitan Man
new path chapter 13 . 4/18
Though several things kept me from being completely immersed, I liked the story a lot. Thanks.
new path chapter 4 . 4/18
Wouldn't it be logical to assume that Lex's conspiracy would drastically increase the possibility of superman acting inimically towards the human race?

I don't know if Lex's justifications for trying to kill superman are supposed to be disingenuous rationalizations or not, but that really bothered me about this chapter.
Unidentified chapter 13 . 4/2
Heh. That's one way to end it.
Unidentified chapter 10 . 4/1
Surely there is an alternate universe to this, where Superman just looks at Calhoun, smiles sadly and with possibly a little mania, and then abandons the planet entirely. Calhoun dies in an alley less than a week later, becoming the first person to die of a gunshot wound in Metropolis for most of a year, and goes down in history as the monster who drove Superman away. Lex Luthor eventually goes public with his findings, and proceeds to revolutionize physics with his discoveries from the spaceship. Deadshot might have escaped the hole, but either way never manages to go public with Clark's identity, Clark Kent is simply never heard from again.

But you decided that this branch was more dramatically interesting.
Oh, well.
Kairan1979 chapter 13 . 3/16
The only thing that could make this story perfect is Darkseid's invasion and Lex Luthor dying with the thought 'Superman could have stopped him'.
taogaming chapter 13 . 3/15
Great story.
Aged Cheddar chapter 13 . 3/10
Holy shit. Excellent story. Just read through the entire thing today, couldn't put it down. The ethical questions the story raises are excellent. After some thought it seems at the very end Luthor made the wrong choice by killing Superman: high likelihood of large net benefit from his existence vs miniscule likelihood of larger net loss. At some point the chance becomes small enough that it stops really being worth seriously considering. I think Superman proved that the chance was low enough, in the end. A sad ending, but a thought provoking one.

Again, well done.
Never a Writer chapter 13 . 3/8
NOOOOOOooooooooooooo, poor Clark!
NightShadowJ chapter 1 . 2/27
Amazing and deeply insightful story. Terrifying and you end up making me feel sad that Superman is dead and at the same time agree with the Luthor's reasons for his death. I loved the portrayal of Lex and how you explained his rationale. I loved this story. Please make more like it :)
potatos-ate-my-soul chapter 13 . 2/16
Great story but I cant help feeling that Luthor deserved to get shot in the face by Lois for being a terrible human being. Would have been a nice irony for him to kill the indestructible man then be killed himself by a human reporter for the actions he needed to take to do it.
LauralHilll chapter 13 . 2/16
Holy crap.

That was awesome.
Also, "It's what saved our ancestors - my ancestors, anyway - from death." - Lex is lucky Superman didn't take that as an insult.
This was an excellent ending. Not too happy, not too doomy.
LauralHilll chapter 1 . 1/30
Fantastic so far, although now I'd love to read Lex's history...
superbatprime1 chapter 13 . 1/24
I loved it. Utterly excellent, deeply moving and insightful. One of the best I've read. I knew the bastard was lining his walls with the stuff... great manipulation of the reader, once the kryptonite showed up I was constantly tense about it... then when Lex is thinking it's not going to do the job relief starts to kick in... then Mercy shows us why she is one of the coolest supporting characters in the DC universe and shatters that relief with an ending that really shocks the system.
One of the most understanding treatments of the idea of Superman I've read.
The way Lois actually feared him, Luthors all too reasonable rationale for why Supes must be destroyed.

A beautiful, harrowing story, nice work indeed.