Reviews for The Metropolitan Man
FemaleSpock chapter 13 . 5/27
This story was a great read from start to finish! I really enjoyed how thoroughly the entire Superman premise was considered and deconstructed. I also liked all the little historical details about the period.
Eldersprig chapter 13 . 5/9
Superman through the eyes of Gladiator. Neat.
Caelleh chapter 13 . 5/7
This was amazing. I loved the characters: I loved Luthor, and how he was so stubborn and stuck on his idea that Clark had to die. I really loved Lois, who was spunky and strong and smart, yet still fragile and vulnerable. I kind of liked Clark: he was well written, but his rigid morality and the rather meta implications of his omniscience turned me off, especially as it related to Lois's privacy.

I can't imagine how hard it was to right this. Not just from a research standpoint, but from a mental standpoint. There's a lot of hard hitting material that makes the story more impactful, from Martha's death to Lois's almost visceral fear of Superman. Willie and his goon's actions were particularly deplorable, and actually made me sick to my stomach. But everything was well thought out, and I enjoyed the hell out of it the end, especially the implication of Brainiac's existence, though I did wish there was a happier ending for Lois.

Anyway, loved the hell out of it, and thank you so much for writing.
Powerupz77 chapter 13 . 4/30
Just to let you know, I harbor a deep hatred of pretty much all superhero stuff, especially cartoons. This is probably the only Superman related thing I've ever read in detail, let alone liked. Thanks for writing this REALISTIC superhero story,a genre which is practically a contradiction in terms. Lex and Lois are so much more cooler/rational (this was classified in TvTropes under "Rationalist Fiction"), and Superman's portrayal is better realized. The only thing that kind of spoiled the story was how fanatical Lex was about killing that man (god?) and the slightly crappy ending. Hooray for INTELLIGENT villains!
Adekis chapter 13 . 4/29
Personally, my ideal version of Superman is on a significantly smaller scale in terms of powers- I'll admit to preferring a less powerful, less all-aware Superman because it makes him less scary. Some powers, like super-hearing, I tend to disregard anyway because of how completely unrealistic it is- a fact which Luthor recognizes in his inability to figure it out. You took the trope and ran with it, and used it to chilling effect.

This story is a triumph of horrific proportions. You have written one of the best versions of Luthor I have ever seen. In addition, this is a brilliant deconstruction of the Superman character. As a very big Superman fan, I have to admit I thought Superman's characterization was more or less spot-on even if it wasn't to my liking. You took a version of the character compiled from the Post-Crisis, movie and silver age versions and managed to make him into a believable person, who is at once sympathetic and disturbing. The Silver Age level of powers treated seriously made Superman an utterly terrifying concept, and you pulled it off wonderfully.

The situation with Lawton reminded me of an Adventures of Superman episode wherein some thugs found out Superman was Clark Kent. He left them on top of a mountain and promised to bring them food and water. They died trying to get down, and Superman didn't feel bad because he didn't kill them. It wasn't chilling the way it was in this story, because I got less of a feeling of moral ambiguity or frightening fallibility for the character than I did of bad writing, but it was very similar. I digress.

You did your job fantastically well- you set out to create a world in which you could treat Superman as scary rather than likable and you did it skillfully! Now I never need to read it again. At least not for a good few years.
new path chapter 13 . 4/18
Though several things kept me from being completely immersed, I liked the story a lot. Thanks.
new path chapter 4 . 4/18
Wouldn't it be logical to assume that Lex's conspiracy would drastically increase the possibility of superman acting inimically towards the human race?

I don't know if Lex's justifications for trying to kill superman are supposed to be disingenuous rationalizations or not, but that really bothered me about this chapter.
Unidentified chapter 13 . 4/2
Heh. That's one way to end it.
Unidentified chapter 10 . 4/1
Surely there is an alternate universe to this, where Superman just looks at Calhoun, smiles sadly and with possibly a little mania, and then abandons the planet entirely. Calhoun dies in an alley less than a week later, becoming the first person to die of a gunshot wound in Metropolis for most of a year, and goes down in history as the monster who drove Superman away. Lex Luthor eventually goes public with his findings, and proceeds to revolutionize physics with his discoveries from the spaceship. Deadshot might have escaped the hole, but either way never manages to go public with Clark's identity, Clark Kent is simply never heard from again.

But you decided that this branch was more dramatically interesting.
Oh, well.
Kairan1979 chapter 13 . 3/16
The only thing that could make this story perfect is Darkseid's invasion and Lex Luthor dying with the thought 'Superman could have stopped him'.
taogaming chapter 13 . 3/15
Great story.
Aged Cheddar chapter 13 . 3/10
Holy shit. Excellent story. Just read through the entire thing today, couldn't put it down. The ethical questions the story raises are excellent. After some thought it seems at the very end Luthor made the wrong choice by killing Superman: high likelihood of large net benefit from his existence vs miniscule likelihood of larger net loss. At some point the chance becomes small enough that it stops really being worth seriously considering. I think Superman proved that the chance was low enough, in the end. A sad ending, but a thought provoking one.

Again, well done.
Never a Writer chapter 13 . 3/8
NOOOOOOooooooooooooo, poor Clark!
NightShadowJ chapter 1 . 2/27
Amazing and deeply insightful story. Terrifying and you end up making me feel sad that Superman is dead and at the same time agree with the Luthor's reasons for his death. I loved the portrayal of Lex and how you explained his rationale. I loved this story. Please make more like it :)
potatos-ate-my-soul chapter 13 . 2/16
Great story but I cant help feeling that Luthor deserved to get shot in the face by Lois for being a terrible human being. Would have been a nice irony for him to kill the indestructible man then be killed himself by a human reporter for the actions he needed to take to do it.