Reviews for To Be The Best
vampireharry the 2 chapter 3 . 7/18/2014
I love this! I eagerly hope for more!
Dovack chapter 3 . 7/11/2014
I really like the pace of your story with ash not catching every pokemon he see's and taking time to build bonds with them. I'm going to favorite this because it really hard too find story's like this. looking forward to future chapters.

PS.. I actually like misty in this, I know for a fact this is the first story I read that misty doesn't annoy me.
0Anonymo0 chapter 1 . 7/6/2014
In a community where the only legitimately good Pokemon stories are those with ultra-realism and no positivity whatsoever, this is a breath of fresh air. I find the balance struck here between 'realistic' and 'idealistic' to be perfect.

I appreciate the thought of keeping all of Ash's canon Pokemon while adding a few more, but I don't think it's a good idea. Sure, keep some of the old cast we know and love, but if Ash is really different from his 10 year old counterpart, having him get all his previous Pokemon will seem kind of forced.
Mezzer 5.2 chapter 3 . 7/5/2014
This is a great story as well! I found this one after reading your Naruto and HP story. I can't wait to see where you go with it. You're intro with the Charmander really got me going there. I was so sad to hear that it had passed away. :( Still, I'm interested to see how that event will continue to drive and motivate Ash. Happy writing!
Guest chapter 3 . 7/5/2014
meh, pass. your crappy attempt of a realistic pokemon world is boring as fuck
Scyth3 chapter 3 . 7/4/2014
I like this more matured Ash . One who thinks and uses that brain of his . Nicely potrayed , between the interactions and how he treats his pokemon leaves me thinking of how they will all be like once they reach the top . Pure awesomeness ! Keep it up !
Scyth3 chapter 2 . 7/3/2014
I love this story . The back story is really touching and heart
warming . Love it . Keep it up
Tango Charlie chapter 3 . 6/21/2014
Great start. Truly well written and a way of writing that I wish I could integrate in my story...

The emotions between Charmander and Ash, while being shown for just two chapters, were very nicely done and most importantly didn't seem forced. A mellowed out Gary was nice; I love it when people don't bash the main cast. Gary eventually turns out to be a good guy in the end...

The thing with the Raticate killing people annoyed me though. I see Rattata and Raticate to be two of the most pathetic Pokemon to have existed. Both represent Rats, look weak, look ugly and basically have no redeeming feature. Any partially trained Pokemon should be able to defeat wild versions of them. But then again; I don't like it when Pokemon kill people is general(Fanfics) so I might be a bit biased.

I would like to point out to you that Ash shouldn't just blurt out or announce his dream to every guy or girl he meets and becomes acquaintances with. That will reduce the novelty and feeling behind it.

If there is one thing I would strongly suggest to you, it would be regarding the number of Pokemon Ash catches. I agree with your decision on keeping Ash's canon Pokemon, they should never be shoved aside for the presumably "stronger" Pokemon.

That being said, please limit the number of Pokemon he catches to 15. This will allow you to give focus and screen time to the Pokemon who would have appeared realistically. Giving Ash 20-30 Pokemon on his first year as a trainer would downplay the reality theme of your story. Most people just hoard Pokemon onto Ash and find themselves fucked up for screen time.

Might I suggest Pokemon like Ekans or even a Pokemon from other regions? Ekans is very rarely done and it would be good if you present it in a strong view. As for Pokemon in the other regions, they can migrate or be abandoned here. Just imagine if Ash releases a Greninja in the Indigo League...

Good luck for the future chapters!
0 Jordinio 0 chapter 3 . 6/6/2014
Pretty interesting. And pretty well written too.

The big problem here is you keep coming back to the 'goals' Ash has set. We know already, you don't need to keep bringing it up multiple times every chapter. Should tone down on it.

As for him not being able to beat Misty? Meh. Misty isn't much of a trainer canon-wise anyway. In a one n one I'm pretty sure Pikachu could take any of her Pokemon at the moment. Pikachu's just that badass.
Nadoxx chapter 3 . 6/1/2014
Interesting start to a story you have hear, interested in how your character develop, they seem a little to perfect right now but not much has been seen either.
BirnaBerry chapter 3 . 6/1/2014
Really enjoying this so far! Keep up the good work :D
Kratos Pendragon chapter 3 . 5/31/2014
I was just watching the newest pokemon episode that came out recently and I was thinking, why is Ash so weak when he has done so much and beaten so many strong people? So, I set out for a story where this was not true and I think I found it. I can't wait to see what you come up with next, I'm sure it will brighten my day (or night which it is right now for me)! Best of luck and may you find your muse quickly and safely.
defconDeceiver chapter 3 . 5/31/2014
Loving the work you got here, especially with ash teach caterpie bug buzz. Also I can't wait to see him clock Damian when the time comes.
Clockwise02 chapter 3 . 5/30/2014
Great chapter. The radicate scene and comments about gyarados really stood out as showing how dangerous the world can be if one isn't careful, but not so dangerous that humans can't survive. Also enjoyed the use moves outside of their fire and forget purpose like the string shot trick and hope to see more. However, i gotta say the best thing about this story so far is the characterization of the Pokemon. Giving them motivations outside of "well this kid caught me so i better fight cuz reasons" makes them feel much more like character than...collectible cards. Anyway keep up the good work.
CDOwen chapter 3 . 5/30/2014
Just found your story and already think it's going great! Your Tragedy wasn't too sad, though I can't imagine what Ash is going to do to Damien. I like the dedication to learning stronger attacks and was wondering if you might find a way to make his butterfree have more base defense via some sort of training as a metapod, perhaps with constant hardens?

On Pokemon, I think it would be awesome if you had Ash pick up a rhyhorn, as Rhydon and Rhyperior are dominant forces on the battlefield, and are never used in fanfictions. It would give Ash's Snorlax another pokemon of its size, and give a pokemon for Brock to lend his expertise to.

CDOwen